removing/replacing steering rack

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revatron

Has anyone removed the steering rack before? From looking at a few parts there doesn't seem to be much holding it on, but as always that doesn't mean it will be easy to remove. I have some play in the steering rack causing a rattle and I have to decide whether to replace myself or put it to a garage. If I can find a part that is. I'm struggling to find either new or used racks with my part number 48001-3NM1A. Can find lots of 2A or 3A but not sure if they are interchangable.

Hi

Yes i did it today. You have to loosen the steering shaft inside the car down at the pedals, 1 bolt holding it in. Remove the inner and outer steering tie rod. The difficult is to remove the 2 bolts holding the steering rack in place. On the passenger side you can "easy" get it with a 18mm socket and wrench, i used a 2x4 and a hammer to help loosening it. On the driver side remove the battery, get about 1 meter off 1/2" exention and a universal joint at the end before 18mm socket to access the nut. Then remove the under motor cover and you have to rotate and lover the passenger side off the steering rack first, then the rack will drop down.

Well ****, I had a 48001-3NM1A that I removed from a salvage leaf I bought for the battery, but I ended up taking it to the metal scrap yard ><

Back