Repairs that must be done before end of lease?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x00n

I am only in my 2 months of ownership with 2013 leaf and yesterday the car got a windshield hairline crack roughly 10 inches long. I was wondering am I required to replace the windshield before returning the car at end of lease? I was thinking of a repair job to prevent it from spreading. I also have supper minor paint scratches on door edge, do I need to fix that as well? Would these be under normal wear & tear of the lease? What other repairs are required before end of lease?

Details of the windshield crack:
The car sat in relative's driveway under the rain for about 3 hours and by the time I got back to the car I saw a 10 inch hairline crack from the lower right passenger side up about 4 inches above the passenger wiper (looking from inside of car). The temps were around 55, 59, 57F outside, so no extreme temp change could cause it. I really think this is installation fault from Nissan, any ideas on how I should talk to the dealer about it?

Yep, or they will charge you for it (at a rater higher than you can have it repaired yourself)... Often your insurance will consider it a safety issue and replace with without a deductible though...

x00n said:
I am only in my 2 months of ownership with 2013 leaf and yesterday the car got a windshield hairline crack roughly 10 inches long. I was wondering am I required to replace the windshield before returning the car at end of lease?

TomT said:
Yep, or they will charge you for it (at a rater higher than you can have it repaired yourself)... Often your insurance will consider it a safety issue and replace with without a deductible though...

Unfortunately I will have to pay the deductible portion for a replacement, but a fill & repair job will be waived of deductibles. Anyone has returned at end of lease with a crack that is repaired (not replaced with new windshield) and how it turned out for you? Charged you extra or was considered as acceptable repair and no penalties?

If the crack was not caused by an impact, I would definitely expect warranty to cover it.

Check both ends of the crack; if there was an impact there will be evidence of it, like a pockmark or chip of some kind that you can feel with a fingernail. If not then it's a pure stress crack; i.e. a manufacturing defect.

We just turned in our 2011 for a 2014. They gave us a card that has all the tolerances listed so you can know what they will accept as normal wear and tear. Also, before you turn the car in, you are supposed to make an appointment for a technician to go over the car and let you know what they consider as needing repair by you. When the time comes keep an eye out for any promotions by Nissan. We got into the "Pull Through" promotion. Nissan picked up the last three months of our lease payments for the 2011 when we agreed to a new 2014 lease. They also gave us a $500 coupon that was to be used for anything that needed repair. As it turns out, the only item that they applied the $500 towards was a damaged splash guard that was about $43. We couldn't be happier with the change over from our 2011 to our 2014. By the way, we have always carried zero deductible glass coverage and have always gotten our money's worth. It seems that every car that we've had has had a windshield replaced at one time or another.

Yes, they will charge u for it. I was charged for and it was a crack so small I had never noticed it. I disputed the charge and they credited me for.it (leasing anoth e r LEAF undoubtedly helps) if you can, do one of those crack repair ppeople on the side of the road although it sou.ds like you dont have a crack they can fix. The sooner you fix it, the. Better

Back