Reservations?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wouldn't that be something?

My local Nissan dealer is predicting LEAFs in Savannah,GA in/by December 2011.

GA has a generous state tax credit in place, $5k, which is nice since as we're self employed the Fed credit won't apply. (Although I'm just checking that for sure with the guy who does our taxes.)

Have signed up with Nissan to get emails, so here's to waiting.

Believe it or not I got one of the reps at the Orlando Electric Drive Event to tell me that they were expecting reservations to open up again in March. I don't know if they were just trying to get me to leave but it seems in line with what others have been saying about them opening back up before completing all the initial reservations. At any rate, I'm hoping to nab a cancellation or orphan Leaf. I don't think I can wait until December let alone 2012.

modimum said:
GA has a generous state tax credit in place, $5k, which is nice since as we're self employed the Fed credit won't apply. (Although I'm just checking that for sure with the guy who does our taxes.)

modimum - It isn't your employment status that makes the determination, but your income. If your 1040 would require over $7,500 going to Uncle Sam (after everything), you can take advantage of the entire credit. I too am self employed. I haven't checked with my tax person to see if quarterly payments can be reduced in anticipation of the credit (my guess is not - after all... it is the government), but you can at least get it back after payment. Now... off to call my tax person. :)

Ah. Thanks LEAFGuy. SOmewhere someone said it wouldn't work for the self-employed. We don't do withholding, well, we pay quarterly estimates based on previous years to avoid a honking tax bill in April, but we could probably hit the $7,500. Now, whether we could take advantage of the additional $5k? Hmmm. Couple of years back, yes, but not since the economy hit hard times. We'll see.

In other news, Online Leaf Help guy said reservations will open up again in a month or two.

modimum said:
Ah. Thanks LEAFGuy. SOmewhere someone said it wouldn't work for the self-employed.
The comment, which was true, was that it doesn't apply to Self Employment Tax. That's what you pay in lieu of Social Security and Medicare taxes. It does apply to income tax paid by people who are self-employed.

By the way, the $5k Georgia tax credit you mentioned is, of course, a credit against state taxes, not federal taxes. And it is my understanding that it has a carry-over provision. For example, if you pay $2k per year in state taxes, and get the car in 2011, you would be able to claim $2k in 2012, $2k in 2013, and $1k in 2014.

Ray

planet4ever said:
modimum said:
Ah. Thanks LEAFGuy. SOmewhere someone said it wouldn't work for the self-employed.
The comment, which was true, was that it doesn't apply to Self Employment Tax. That's what you pay in lieu of Social Security and Medicare taxes. It does apply to income tax paid by people who are self-employed.
Good point, Ray

One way to look at this, I think, may be to look at the number on line 46 of your 1040. If that's greater than $7,500, you get the entire EV tax credit. If it's between 0 and 7500, you get a partial credit. If it's 0, you get nada. This is subject to modification by AMT and any other credits on lines 47-53. I'm not a tax man, and I'm sure there are tax experts on the forum who can point out the errors in my thinking, but that's the way I figure it.

Since I'm self employed and line 56, "self employment tax," is my main hit, I'm better off leasing and gaining a bigger chunk of the $7,500 that way.

Just another opinion on the subject,

Glenn

Other 36 states
From order to buy 4 to 7 months if I am right

Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Hi, thanks for reserving your 100% electric Nissan LEAF™. We just wanted to let you know that orders will begin in your area in fall or winter 2011.

We'll send you an e-mail when it's time to work with a dealer to pick your car's color, review options and get a quote.

As you can imagine, the response for the Nissan LEAF has been tremendous. The Nissan LEAF order period will be staggered by state, and the timing of your reservation will hold your place.

As a result, orders from states with an infrastructure to support electric driving - either in place or planned - will be taken first. But no matter where you live, you'll be among the first in your area to get a LEAF.

For more information available to Nissan LEAF reservation holders, please click here.

See updates

=================================================
Your reservation info:
Reserved on: 4/20/2010

I've received confirmation from Passport Nissan of Alexandria that Tier 2 ordering has been pushed back again to early 2012. Yes, now it's pushed back over 12 months. What's interesting about this is I don't know yet how this effects the Forgotten 36. Does that mean Tier 2 and the Forgotten 36 are ordering at the same time now, or are the Forgotten 36 now pushed back to spring or later 2012.

Back