Residential EVSE that uses 30A breaker and 10-2 wire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mn4az

Been driving my 2013 Leaf SV for 7 days now and I have perma grin! :p However, we are putting enough miles on it that frequently range gets tight with trickle charging. It's time for some sort of EVSE beyond what came with the car and I would like to summon the knowledge of this forum to help me out.

I have a two pole 30A breaker and a whole lot of 10-2 wire that isn't being used (it was used at one time for my electric water heater). I would LOVE to reuse the existing stuff I have with my EVSE. Got any suggestions on which EVSE's fit the bill with a double pole 30A breaker and 10-2 wire?

Thanks in advance....

You can do an EVSE upgrade of your L1 trickle EVSE if you aren't leasing. If you plan to buy a home EVSE unit, I would look into a portable home EVSE instead of a direct wired one. Not sure if there are EVSE units with 30 amps inputs, but most require 40 amps circuits with 8 gauge wiring. (40 amps input, 30 amps output).

Clipper Creek has a good 20a that will run fine on 30a & #10.
Leviton has a 16a that will also work.
And of course the evseupgrade.com should be done regardless. JMHO

smkettner said:
Clipper Creek has a good 20a that will run fine on 30a & #10.
Leviton has a 16a that will also work.
And of course the evseupgrade.com should be done regardless. JMHO

I just got the link:
http://www.clippercreek.com/pdf/LCS User Manual 110504v05 - booklet.pdf

a6473a313e482f6c551a4c_m.jpg

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-6/Level-2-EVSE,-Level/Detail.bok

You all are faster than getting emails back at work! :)

I am leasing and thus am sketchy on the EVSE upgrade even though I could turn it back to them and reverse the process and/or swap with a new person down the road.......

Thanks for the feedback.

Hey mn4az, how much extra 10-2 wire do you have? Would you consider selling some of it? I've been looking for some 10-2 wire. Is it outdoor rated by chance or just indoor use?

@CRLeafSL - I would speculate about 30 feet of it. However, I may use 75% of it. PM me if you think it's still worth talking.

CRLeafSL said:
Hey mn4az, how much extra 10-2 wire do you have? Would you consider selling some of it? I've been looking for some 10-2 wire. Is it outdoor rated by chance or just indoor use?

I've got quite a bit of 10-2 NM-B and thus indoor use only if you are interested.

Back