RETRACTIBLE CHARGING CORD....???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paqo

I saw this while surfing.....kind of interesting ??
LEAF-front14x.JPG

Just make sure you fully extend it every time it is used. Coiled cables retain heat and burn themselves out if the full current is drawn through them for a prolonged period.

Paqo said:
I saw this while surfing.....kind of interesting ??

Retractable cord reels robust enough for vehicle charging are quite expensive.

But that is not what is in the picture....

Here's the actual web page:

http://www.aprs.org/charging-DIY.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition to the very real concerns about sending large continuous current through a coiled cord, they're using a 16 gauge cord and limiting the EVSE to compensate.

Someone should test the cord at 12 amps and see if it smokes...
:eek:

johnrhansen: I notice that my Blink's cable is rated for use up to 90C (as is a public one that I checked), whereas my 2011 trickle EVSE is only rated for use up to 60C. Is your concern mainly for those EVSEs with 60C rated cable, especially those that have been modified to increase their power beyond the original 1.4 kW?

I notice public stations (like Blinks) where you can park your Leaf next to it allowing you to uncoil only a few feet of the charging cord leaving the rest coiled on its spool. Do you have evidence that the heat buildup can be problematic for those stations, perhaps especially on a hot day?

Would you also go so far to think the heat buildup problem in a coiled cable is a good reason for arguing against buying a L2 EVSE for a stationary wall mount with a 25' cable when one with only, say, an 18' cable is all you need, if you tend to leave the remaining cable coiled?

one or two coils of 8 or 10 gauge wire loosely wrapped around a wall hanger is one thing, but a small 16 gauge cord tightly wrapped with spring tension 4 or 5 rows deep is quite another. I remember one time a long time ago at work, I was using a heat gun through a coiled up spool of 12 gauge extension cord probably 100 feet long when I started smelling smoke. It was coming from the spool. I had only used the heat gun 10 minutes at the most. I unplugged it and unrolled it, and believe me, no wire could have lived through that those what those inner rows of wire went through. I got a tongue lashing from my boss, and I remember it to this day.

My EVSE only has a 15 foot cord and I find it plenty long. Didn't see any reason to pay for cord I don't need. Just mount the EVSE on the post right next to the garage door and back your car in. I've felt the cable running straight through free air after a charging session, and it was warm to the touch. Tightly coiled, I'm sure it would smoke itself if it was long enough.

davewill said:
Not to mention that burying the EVSE inside the car like that defeats all of the safety features the EVSE was supposed to provide.

Any kind of portable EVSE is not as safe as it could be. If you have to unplug something with power on, it's not safe. Not to mention most household receptacles aren't meant to connect and disconnect over and over again like the business end of the EVSE charging cord is . The power cord should be plugged in and the evse remain fixed most of the time, except for when you are on a trip or something.

MikeD said:
I notice public stations (like Blinks) where you can park your Leaf next to it allowing you to uncoil only a few feet of the charging cord leaving the rest coiled on its spool. Do you have evidence that the heat buildup can be problematic for those stations, perhaps especially on a hot day?

The ability of the wire to dissipate heat depends on how surrounded it is by its neighbors in a spool without exposure to open air.

Very different, this:

file.php

Vs. this (note the location within the spool):

Coiled_1.jpg

The few times I have used my stock L1 charger I have left it coiled and used an extension cord. at 12A it runs very warm but not hot. Coils are a bad thing.

GlennD said:
The few times I have used my stock L1 charger I have left it coiled and used an extension cord. at 12A it runs very warm but not hot. Coils are a bad thing.
Don't try that with a EVSEUpgrade at 20+ amps.

Here's a retractable J1772 cable, but as far as I know, it's not UL approved because of UL not allowing the coiling of the cord while in use (iirc):

https://www.evocharge.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you could do a retractable cord safely it the reel had a limit switch that would not enable use until the cord was completely unreeled.

lion said:
Here's a retractable J1772 cable, but as far as I know, it's not UL approved because of UL not allowing the coiling of the cord while in use (iirc):

well looks like you are wrong....

"Hello ,
Thank you for contacting EVoCharge!

In regards to your question, all of our retractable reels are tested to verify compliance with UL standards which require the cable be retracted (not fully extended) under full power output heat-rise testing. Therefore, we do not require the cable be fully extended during use (no concerns with coil effect). Having said this, if practical, we do recommend extending the cable to max extension when in-use to reduce the effects of heat build-up.

Please advise if this addresses your question or if I can be of further assistance at this time.
Thank you,"

Paqo said:
lion said:

"Hello ,

In regards to your question, all of our retractable reels are tested to verify compliance with UL standards which require the cable be retracted (not fully extended) under full power output heat-rise testing. Therefore, we do not require the cable be fully extended during use (no concerns with coil effect). Having said this, if practical, we do recommend extending the cable to max extension when in-use to reduce the effects of heat build-up.

Please advise if this addresses your question or if I can be of further assistance at this time.
Thank you,"

There are important differences between this reel and the OP's reference.

The reel is not enclosed (heat removal by convection)
Much larger conductors (the wires themselves conduct heat away)
Thicker insulation (conductors are further apart)
Steel construction (conducts heat away from the core of the coil).

No doubt the sliding contacts are also far more robust than the home depot reel.

This explains why the unit weighs almost 40 lbs and costs nearly $600.

And still, in the warning section:

Pull entire cable from the reel when charging vehicle.

I'd still think twice about keeping it under the hood as that is a semi-enclosed environment with less air circulation.

Paqo said:
lion said:

"Hello ,

Thank you,"
The dealer I contacted said the product wasn't UL listed yet (and still can't find it on the UL website), that's all I'm going by. If it's listed, great, but considering they still recommend extending the cable to max length, it doesn't sound like the reel approach is the best solution for the OP.

Back