Robert Llewelyn's review of the Leaf after 10 years

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nubo said:
I really have to second Robert's findings. I've been driving LEAF since late 2011, and other than the early battery fiasco I have to say the cars have been remarkably reliable. 2012 did lose a battery bar just before I turned in the lease. The battery in the 2015 was significantly improved; I bought out the lease and still driving it. I have had no need of dealer repairs other than an early pulling problem with the 2012 that the dealership could not resolve anyway, which I remedied by rotating the tires and increasing PSI. The only downside to the car is the 24kWH battery is obsolete by today's standards. I'd also consider a battery transplant at some point to be a worthwhile pursuit thanks to the reliability of the car.

I agree. I think that the 24KWH Leaf, in the future, will become a quick to the junkyard car for some, and a collectible novelty car for others.

For me, I do not intend to get rid of mine because it will always have a use for my family to do local errands 10-20 miles in the area. The great benefit of having a Leaf (especially if you keep it in a garage) is that the car can be left for long periods unused, with no deterioration. An ICE car will go bad if it is not used....

The 24kwh Leaf will become what the NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle) class EVs never were: a great, comfortable car for local trips, but also capable of highway travel, if only for fairly short distances.

The early Leafs (and i3s, eGolfs, etc..) will continue to be great city cars for years to come. Small, inexpensive, and still very utility focused. Appreciate them for what they are.

As batteries get cheaper.. guessing 50-60 kWh will be the landing point for the entry level of the market, with 100 at the mainstream, and maybe higher for premium models.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The early Leafs (and i3s, eGolfs, etc..) will continue to be great city cars for years to come. Small, inexpensive, and still very utility focused. Appreciate them for what they are.

As batteries get cheaper.. guessing 50-60 kWh will be the landing point for the entry level of the market, with 100 at the mainstream, and maybe higher for premium models.

Who knows? If one can keep a Leaf for long enough, you will be able to put in a great replacement battery as a DYI kit. (wishful thinking)

powersurge said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

Who knows? If one can keep a Leaf for long enough, you will be able to put in a great replacement battery as a DYI kit. (wishful thinking).

Either way, unless the car becomes DOA, you can still keep a car that is worth $3000 that will have no maintenance cost to drive around the neighborhood. So many people keep a $3000 motorcycle they don't use in their garages....

powersurge said:
Who knows? If one can keep a Leaf for long enough, you will be able to put in a great replacement battery as a DYI kit. (wishful thinking)

I'd say that is almost the case today. It's not a trivial undertaking but it never will be due to the weight and size of the battery and the fact that the output voltage is at lethal levels. Still, salvage batteries are available and with the electronics and software available from various vendors it can be done by someone who only knows how to connect the parts. Or at least I think so....I haven't done it myself but from following along on some threads here by folks who have that seems to be the case.

goldbrick said:
powersurge said:

I'd say that is almost the case today. It's not a trivial undertaking but it never will be due to the weight and size of the battery and the fact that the output voltage is at lethal levels. Still, salvage batteries are available and with the electronics and software available from various vendors it can be done by someone who only knows how to connect the parts. Or at least I think so....I haven't done it myself but from following along on some threads here by folks who have that seems to be the case.

I understand. However what I mean is that I hope some day you will be able to buy a kit of a NEW battery, with the necessary adapter connections and software modifications, AND directions on how to do the repairs....

At this point, I think that it is foolish to buy a wrecked battery and try to take it apart and explore the wrecked battery AND THEN take your OWN car apart without knowing if the surgery is going to be successful..

Taking things apart to explore is too much of a redneck thing for me. I need to know the procedure before I start.

Nubo said:
Why would a manufacturer list a "wrong" tire rotation sequence? What's the upside for them to do so?

Possibly it's a similar decision such as when Ford had the official tire pressure of the Explorer at what 29psi & then all those blowouts occurred because nobody checked the air pressure & the tires overheated and failed from super low air pressure causing all sorts of accidents

HerdingElectrons said:
Nubo said:
Why would a manufacturer list a "wrong" tire rotation sequence? What's the upside for them to do so?

Possibly it's a similar decision such as when Ford had the official tire pressure of the Explorer at what 29psi & then all those blowouts occurred because nobody checked the air pressure & the tires overheated and failed from super low air pressure causing all sorts of accidents

I'm not sure lax maintenance by Ford owners implies a mistake in Nissan's presumably deliberate decision to deviate from "grandpappy's method". If just one way of rotating is best, the easiest thing in the world would be to paste it into the service manual for every vehicle.

Well, today is my nine year anniversary. I don’t drive it nearly as much since I retired, but the replacement battery still has all its bars. It’s been a great car and awfully cheap to operate.

Back