Running heat with AC on?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismowu

So when I trun the AC on I noticed the estimated range dropped about 10% and same thing when I turn the heater on.
However, when I already have the AC on and then turn the heat on, the range doesn't change, and vise versa.
Does it not use more energy to have both of them running?

I have the 2014 S trim so it's using the resistance heater instead of the heat pump.

The effect on range will vary depending upon system loads. The heater will consume more as it gets colder and the A/C consumes more as the weather gets hotter. My guess is you are using A/C and Heat together to defog, as it was intended, at moderate temperatures. This would make it an apples and oranges comparison.

There's only one heat pump that does both heating and cooling. When you run both, it's removing heat and humidity with the evaporator (#5 in the image) and releasing that heat (but not humidity) with the condenser. (#4) That doesn't warm up or cool down your car, but neither does it use any more energy than using the grill radiator (#1) as a condenser or evaporator. Useful for defogging.
PompeAChaleur_Zoe_HeatPump_Renault.jpg

ytrottier, not sure what you reply is about. The OP has an S trim. There is no heat pump heater on that trim.

OP, I wouldn't pay a whole lot attention to the GOM (guess-o-meter).

kovalb said:
My guess is you are using A/C and Heat together to defog, as it was intended, at moderate temperatures.
This is undoubtedly what is happening.

I've installed a switch to keep the heater off in my 2012. Now whenever I turn on the AC it only shows 1 mile drop in range on the GOM. The Leaf will otherwise start heating up the fluid used by the heater, and that really uses a lot of power.

Back