San Diego - Current List of Public Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No DC fast charger in Santa Ysabel on Wednesday. Still waiting for the official okay from Blink/Ecotality. :-(

Looks like Angus' Evoasis unit in San Juan Capistrano might beat Ecotality for 1st DC fast charge in range of San Diego, but as far as the whole "Evoasis experience" he touts on his website . . . "vaporware" is right. Bummer . . . I'm back at work on Thursday.

KMG365 said:
1st DC fast charge in range of San Diego,

Well, I have done both the Blink in Diamond Bar and the Eaton in Cypress, so I would call both of these "in range". Even the now former Eaton in San Bernadino was only 95 miles, but no longer in business.

Ok, I forgot I needed a bit of a charge in Temecula to make the Diamond Bar Blink charger (103-105 miles from my house) at 45-50mph, so I'll recant and say that one is out of range, unless you live in Rainbow or Fallbrook.

I'll be in San Juan Cap at 3pm Wed.

KMG365 said:
Looks like Angus' Evoasis unit in San Juan Capistrano might beat Ecotality for 1st DC fast charge in range of San Diego, but as far as the whole "Evoasis experience" he touts on his website . . . "vaporware" is right. Bummer . . . I'm back at work on Thursday.
Despite over a year's worth of experience teaching me to ignore all the promises of "imminent" opening of QC stations, I can't help but get excited by this race. Imagine: we might soon have TWO stations in driving distance! And the EVoasis station would enable drives between LA and San Diego.

But I've got a different complaint for Angus about his website. The "Investors" link goes to a login for existing investors, all the while lack of capital seems to be a major factor in the slow deployment. I had expected it to go to a section with any public reports about stock offerings, LLC share offerings, sales pitches, invitations to seminars for potential new investors, etc. I guess maybe small investors aren't worth trying for.

Yeah, I know QC businesses have the cards stacked against them: competition from ECOtality with its DOE subsidy, competition from NRG with its CA settlement, CPUC with its punitive demand fees, and stalled BEV sales. So it's a real gamble. But one of these companies is going to be this century's Standard Oil. Seems like there would be some folks placing bets here and there.

TonyWilliams said:
Oh, this is starting later than expected. We might actually be able to make this now.
Will the unit actually be functional tomorrow? As of Sunday, there was just conduit
sticking through the pad. When the Blink DCQC went in at DBar, it took the techs
several days to get it ready to go live.

JPVLeaf said:
TonyWilliams said:
Oh, this is starting later than expected. We might actually be able to make this now.
Will the unit actually be functional tomorrow? As of Sunday, there was just conduit
sticking through the pad. When the Blink DCQC went in at DBar, it took the techs
several days to get it ready to go live.

The hotel guests have been notified that the power will go out at 2pm while they hook it up. This isn't a Blink unit!

Fuji reps are on site. Obviously, don't come down needing a charge, or you might be unpleasantly surprised.

TonyWilliams said:
Well, I have done both the Blink in Diamond Bar and the Eaton in Cypress, so I would call both of these "in range".
"in range" is stretching it a bit considering that it's 65 miles to Cypress from Oceanside. I doubt many people will attempt the trip from anywhere else in the county except in ideal weather and a new car even from there (having to drive under the speed limit to make the trip puts it out of range for the average person.

At least Santa Ysabel is only 50 miles away from large parts of San Diego and speeds are lower - but then the 3,000 ft of climbing will mean that many people will have to stop in Ramona to top off a bit before driving another 15 mi and 1500 ft unless they have 4 bars showing.

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:
Well, I have done both the Blink in Diamond Bar and the Eaton in Cypress, so I would call both of these "in range".
"in range" is stretching it a bit considering that it's 65 miles to Cypress from Oceanside. I doubt many people will attempt the trip from anywhere else in the county except in ideal weather and a new car even from there (having to drive under the speed limit to make the trip puts it out of range for the average person.

Obviously, everybody has there own comfortable range and starting location within San Diego. I mean that a LEAF can physically get there; not that it will be a flivver you could partake at any time. The DC Blink charger in LA is definitely out of range. The Cypress one is out of range for the south half of our county.

How about we just call Cypress and Diamond Bar the "next chargers going north".

The 25kW Fuji is working now, located on the west wall of the Residence Inn. The use fees will be with a Chargepoint card or a credit card (by calling the 800 number).

The Nissan dealer is across the street and Costco is a short walk down the hill.

Residence Inn
33711 Camino Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano, California 92675
1-949-443-3600

5602ECE0-4439-4071-BB96-7BC12E9375D9-9180-0000055CF59E4B05.jpg

mwalsh said:
TonyWilliams said:
The 25kW Fuji is working now, located on the west wall of the Residence Inn. The use fees will be with a Chargepoint card or a credit card (by calling the 800 number).

That is good news! :D

BTW, if you use it and do wander away. Don't be gone for too long, eh chaps?

I say we carry a wee bit of tar and feathers in our cars, just for such an occasion.

TonyWilliams said:
The Nissan dealer is across the street and Costco is a short walk down the hill.
Residence Inn
33711 Camino Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano, California 92675
1-949-443-3600
Any chance that more Residence Inn locations will follow this example ?

Progress at UCSD on public charging station was featured in a sidebar to an article on EV battery research there that I read this morning (and posted in the "future battery technology thread):
http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/features/the_quest_for_a_better_electric_vehicle_battery

By June 2013, UC San Diego is set to have the largest, most diversified portfolio of electric vehicle charging stations at any university in the world. The campus has received funding from the State of California and the federal American Recovery and Reinvestment Act for 56 stations.

San Francisco-based ECOtality will provide 25 electric vehicle charging stations and RWE, the second-largest utility company in Germany, will provide another 31 stations. Three of those units will feature DC fast chargers, which allow users to fully charge a battery in just 30 minutes, rather than the typical eight hours.

The first two operational public charging stations on UC San Diego’s main campus were unveiled in September at the new Structural and Materials Engineering building at the Jacobs School of Engineering. Five additional public charging stations are set to be up and running within a couple of weeks. Three are located at the Pangea Parking Structure and two at the East Campus Parking Structure.

“This is a great opportunity for the UC San Diego community to build upon our efforts to reduce the carbon footprint of the campus,” said Gary C. Matthews, UC San Diego’s vice chancellor for Resource Management and Planning. “More than half of UC San Diego’s commuters use an alternative form of transportation, contributing to the campus’s dedication to make sustainability a top priority in academics, research and campus-operations.”

More operational stations are available for the public beyond the main UC San Diego campus. The Bachman Parking Structure at Hillcrest is equipped with three stations. The Nimitz Marine Facility at Point Loma, the Englekirk Structural Engineering Center in Scripps Ranch and the Elliot Field research station each have one station.

(Personal note: Gary Matthews was my last boss at UCSD before I retired.)
TT

Hold off on driving up to Santa Ysabel right now. Parts were needed for the DC FC up there and it will take some time before they arrive, get installed, and re-tested (could be 1 week, perhaps a bit longer). I'll post when the unit is ready...

mwalsh said:
ybitz said:
How much does the QC cost? i can't find pricing information on the evoasis website

Hopefully, enough to keep those who really don't need it away, yet still affordable enough for those who really need/want it.

I thought I remember something about a $10 flat fee?

That really is the sweet spot. The "Just-Drive-The-Prius(TM)" crowd wouldn't seriously consider using it at any price, since they will only pay (fill in blank with the cost of super off peak, time of use, solar powered, with free car wash service back home), so there is a large demographic that just will never be clogging up the parking spot.

That's great news for those of us that wish to drive without oil, and pay the price necessary to make the ventures cash flow positive and expand. Some of us don't even have a Prius :mrgreen:

Here are 5 funded future DC chargers coming to San Diego county:

• Alternative Energy Systems Consulting, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla

• Green Charge Networks, LLC – San Diego, 2805 Garnet Avenue, San Diego (at 7-11 store)

• Green Charge Networks, LLC – San Diego, 4080 Convoy St., San Diego (at 7-11 store)

• Green Charge Networks, LLC – Del Mar, 13801 Mango Dr., Del Mar (at 7-11 store)

• Green Charge Networks, LLC – Carlsbad, 901 Palomar Airport Rd., Carlsbad (at 7-11 store)

Ecotality / Blink should be running next week in Santa Ysabel, and should be available for our Nov 17 meeting there. They have a permit for one in Escondido, also.

There are some others in north county coming.

Great news, Tony.

I posted a map of these locations (along with a bunch of others being planeed in LA) here:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204311144905899465874.0004cd883c47686cd1037&msa=0&ll=33.600894,-117.902527&spn=2.157166,3.218994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Escondido will be a great location for a QC. Looking at other holes in San Diego, I'd suggest these locations:

Mission Valley, Downtown near the airport, Poway near 56/15.

Back