San Diego Fashion Valley CHAdeMO

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jcesare said:
Anyone have any information about the new CHAdeMO charger in Fashion Valley behind Bloomingdale's?

https://twitter.com/BBROCKMAN/status/384848044497195008/photo/1

Specifically cost and billing. Will a Blink card work with it???

It's EVGO. So, no, a Blink card is no good for it. As far as I know, EVGO is a subscription plan. There is another thread on this installation somewhere.

So a subscription plan in a city where SDG&E has a monopoly??? I don't get it. Might work in Houston but what about here? No pay as you go plans?

See: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5739&start=480
and
http://www.evgonetwork.com/special-offers-california/

Word has it that the special offer of a $7.95 plan for free access for 2 months will be extended until there are at least 4-6 FCDC chargers installed around San Diego. There is also an "on-the-go" plan where you can call to authorize an immediate charge without the access card @ 855-509-5581, I believe (haven't tried it yet, I just sent for a card): https://www.evgonetwork.com/on-the-go-sign-up-for-a-plan/

TT

Hi Guys,
I have information on the installation and will consolidate it in one place...

The station is run by eVgo and is the first one in San Diego out of a total of 20 that will be installed (remember the CPUC/NRG eVgo settlement?). There will also be Level 2 charging installed at work places and multi-unit dwellings, that is ramping now as well.

Anyways, this station in Fashion Valley has a Nissan DC Fast charge unit like the Nissan Dealers are installing, with a maximum out put of 44kW. There is also an ABB SAE Combo DC Fast charge station that is installed for the upcoming rollout of Chevy Sparks and BMW i3 cars in a few months (first one in the region). To the left of my car in the attached photo, there is also a Level 2 station mounted on a light pole that is available...

eVgo is offering a special price of 60 days worth of access for $7.95 (to pay for the card and your account setup), and at the grand opening event last Monday, I heard that the 60 days won't run dry until they have a small network in place. I believe 7 units was the number I heard.

You can call (877) 455-3833 and ask more questions or visit their website.

California Pricing:
http://www.evgonetwork.com/charging-plans-california/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

60 day unlimited access offer:
http://www.evgonetwork.com/60-day-access-california/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The pricing plan they announced at the grand opening event was a membership plan for $14.95 per month and 10 cents per minute for electricity or you can access the stations on an ala carte basis (as the settlement requires) for a flat rate of $9.95 per session. Settlement criteria for ala carte pricing was $7 minimum, $10 max for off-peak, and $15 max for on peak charging, so their chosen price of $9.95 falls within that range.

The station is currently accessible from 9am to midnight 7 days per week...

That's what I know right now...

Randy

Attachments

• LEAFcharge.jpg
    LEAFcharge.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 70
jcesare said:
So a subscription plan in a city where SDG&E has a monopoly??? I don't get it. Might work in Houston but what about here? No pay as you go plans?

There is a pay as you go plan, but in order to bring in the revenue that is necessary to run the network and charging stations, a membership plan makes a lot of sense. A more assured monthly revenue stream is needed to run the business than sporadic ala carte charging revenues would bring in.

Only subsidized charging stations can be free, and even then, abuse occurs because people take advantage of free. I think the subscription plan makes a lot of sense and will give a lot of range freedom to drivers...20 stations around San Diego means that there will be one near where you need to charge...

If you think it's priced too high, you should see what it takes to install one of these stations....

Pretty cool! Can't wait to see more stations up my way. I find it hilarious the first frankenplug is in Tony's backyard! :lol:

The hours are determined by the chains that the mall puts up in all parking areas to keep out overnight parkers. That could change, discussions are taking place.

KJD said:
Randy said:
The station is currently accessible from 9am to midnight 7 days per week...
Why would they limit to these hours. Why not 24x7 ?
The Blink installation at Mission Valley Center has the same sort of restriction. I assume they have a problem with loitering late at night and don't want anything open late. It's a real problem since at MVC the hours are even tighter (close at 11PM, 7PM on Sun), and some of the restaurants and the movie theater are open later than the charging facilities. On Sundays it's even worse with it shutting down at 7PM, and some of the stores closing at 8PM and 9PM. I assume it will be worse still when Christmas hours are in effect. I went out to dinner not realizing the limitation, and ended up only being able to get 20 minutes. Luckily I could get home on what I had, but I had to skip some extra running around I had planned on doing.

Does anyone think these prices are reasonable? At that rate, its cheaper to use your ICE. Doesn't seem practical unless its an emergency. By the time they actually roll out frankenplug cars and chargers, hopefully the range will have increased.

Seems that maybe only subsidized charge stations are practical, either government or Nissan or Tesla. GM aint gonna do it.

dm,
Here's my take on it...

Let's say you own a LEAF and are an active driver. You try to drive it everywhere in your everyday patterns...So you pay the $14.95 per month and sign up. If you use it 4 times in a month for 20 minutes each, that is 80 minutes or $8 additional. So your total for the month is $22.95 for 4 usages (less than $6 each). At about 50 miles per quick charge (if you come in low), that is 200 miles of benefit when you need it the most for $22.95. Yes, those miles are more expensive than garage price electricity, but it helps you drive the car to places you might not ordinarily get to (that adds a lot of value, in my opinion)...Many people already paid $700 for the QC port anyways. I bought it to use it, myself.

If you use it 6 times in a month, the total is $26.95 or $4.50 each. Use it 8 times and the total is $30.95 or $3.86 each.

For using a network of 20 stations all over town that will probably cost several million $$ to install and operate.

I call it a bargain, and will sign up. But that's just me, I know...I love driving my LEAF all over town and also love having the freedom of grabbing a charge anytime I need it...

Randy said:
dm,
Here's my take on it...

Let's say you own a LEAF and are an active driver. You try to drive it everywhere in your everyday patterns...So you pay the $14.95 per month and sign up. If you use it 4 times in a month for 20 minutes each, that is 80 minutes or $8 additional. So your total for the month is $22.95 for 4 usages (less than $6 each). At about 50 miles per quick charge (if you come in low), that is 200 miles of benefit when you need it the most for $22.95. Yes, those miles are more expensive than garage price electricity, but it helps you drive the car to places you might not ordinarily get to (that adds a lot of value, in my opinion)...Many people already paid $700 for the QC port anyways. I bought it to use it, myself.

If you use it 6 times in a month, the total is $26.95 or $4.50 each. Use it 8 times and the total is $30.95 or $3.86 each.

For using a network of 20 stations all over town that will probably cost several million $$ to install and operate.

I call it a bargain, and will sign up. But that's just me, I know...I love driving my LEAF all over town and also love having the freedom of grabbing a charge anytime I need it...

My issue is that I only occasionally drive outside my home charging range and only go to Mission Valley for football games. A quick charge 8 times a year is what I need. The Blink L2s in Mission Valley aren't practical since I only have about an hour window to charge before a game. I really need a pay as you go solution that's cheaper than using my ICE.

(My issue is that I only occasionally drive outside my home charging range and only go to Mission Valley for football games. A quick charge 8 times a year is what I need. The Blink L2s in Mission Valley aren't practical since I only have about an hour window to charge before a game. I really need a pay as you go solution that's cheaper than using my ICE)

Same here, this Monthly plan doesn't work for me, driving nightly from Imperial Beach to El Cajon for work, I stay within a 42 Mile range round trip so extra charging is not needed. I prefer the Charge as you go deal with Blink & Charge Point. I don't like to get locked in a monthly plan when it's not needed.

Fred

A little OT but I was recently at Lindbergh Field and the whole first row of the parking lot at Terminal 2 is being installed with charging units. There are at least 2 dozen spots (4 spots per row of parking). I believe they were ChargePoint but they were still wrapped. Anyone know if they are operational?

jcesare said:
A little OT but I was recently at Lindbergh Field and the whole first row of the parking lot at Terminal 2 is being installed with charging units. There are at least 2 dozen spots (4 spots per row of parking). I believe they were ChargePoint but they were still wrapped. Anyone know if they are operational?

Been that way for 4 months now.

Back