San Diego LEAF Dealer Ordering and Program Update Meeting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpeachy

I am going to a meeting were representatives from both SDG&E and eTec will be meeting to present and discuss their programs and how consumers will work with them throughout the LEAF Ordering Process. If anyone has specific questions, let me know.
I am the lead Leaf sales leader getting a Leaf SL with September order date from Kearny Mesa Mossy Nissan. Feel free to contact me. bpeachy

bpeachy said:
I am going to a meeting were representatives from both SDG&E and eTec will be meeting to present and discuss their programs and how consumers will work with them throughout the LEAF Ordering Process. If anyone has specific questions, let me know.
I am the lead Leaf sales leader getting a Leaf SL with September order date from Kearny Mesa Mossy Nissan. Feel free to contact me. bpeachy

Hi. I am interested in how SDG&E will implement the so called "experimental" rates described in this SD Union Tribune article: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jun/24/experimental-rates-okd-plug-vehicles/

The story states that the experimental rates approved Thursday will give San Diego-area Leaf drivers a discount when they charge at night. How big a discount will depend on which of three rates they end up with. Some people will pay 13 cents a kilowatt-hour to charge at night, and 27 cents in the daytime. Others will pay 7 cents at night and 38 cents in the daytime.

1. How will it be determined which of the three rate schedules a Leaf owner will be on? Are you assigned one of the three rate schedules by SDG&E or does the customer get to select one of the three?

2. Do you have to be one one of these three experimental rates when using the free home charger (or can you continue using a non-EV rate schedule for example)?

3. The news story implies that these experimental rates are a means of studying the charging habits of EV owners and therefore will only be used to supply electricity to an EV (e.g. not for running your pool filtration equip :D ) So will a separate SDG&E meter be required to support the experimental rates, or will the eTec Blink charger communicate the kWh consumption to SDG&E somehow for billing purposes?

4. If the answer to #3 is that the charger will communicate the kWhs consumed directly to SDG&E, will the homeowner be able to also see the real time and cumulative kWh usage either by viewing it on the charger LCD screen or via an Internet communication with it?

Thanks for offering to bring questions forward to the meeting.

bpeachy - if you get a chance, please ask how things will be configured for SDG&E customers who are EV Project participants with PV solar systems and net metering - specifically, we have purposely sized our PV system to hopefully net our electricity usage to zero including charging of the Leaf (it's a major reason we proceeded with getting our PV system, since our regular electricity usage is below baseline and doesn't exactly pencil out for solar.) I surely hope there's a rate structure or billing setup that will allow us to actually net-meter our total usage rather than, say, having to pay out of pocket for car charging, even at a discounted rate, while sitting on a bunch of un-realizable kWh credits in our "other" account.

wsbca said:
bpeachy - if you get a chance, please ask how things will be configured for SDG&E customers who are EV Project participants with PV solar systems and net metering - specifically, we have purposely sized our PV system to hopefully net our electricity usage to zero including charging of the Leaf (it's a major reason we proceeded with getting our PV system, since our regular electricity usage is below baseline and doesn't exactly pencil out for solar.) I surely hope there's a rate structure or billing setup that will allow us to actually net-meter our total usage rather than, say, having to pay out of pocket for car charging, even at a discounted rate, while sitting on a bunch of un-realizable kWh credits in our "other" account.

About a month ago I contacted SDG&E and they told me that if I purchased a Leaf I could use the EV-TOU rate schedule with a PV system, and one TOU meter. Presently I have a TOU meter with PV, and they said I could continue to use the single meter for both house and EV electricity. But the Super Off-Peak charging rate on EV-TOU isn't all that low at $.137/kWh.

But it is possible (maybe probable) that participation in the EV project with a free home charger will require us to be on a rate schedule that is part of the study. Personally, I would like to be able to choose from one of the three "experimental" rates schedules, or choose the EV-TOU schedule, or even stay on the DR-SES schedule that I'm presently on.

Good questions guys, looks like you have it all covered in terms of things I would like to know.

Well - except for - when is this meeting happening so we can expect to know when we'll have the answers?

Back