Seeking a Novel L2 110-Volt Battery/Charging Solution

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennethcwilbur

I feel like there should definitely be a market for the following product but I can't seem to find it available. Please read carefully before replying because this is probably easy to misunderstand.

Assume you only have a 110-volt outlet available (it's impossible to upgrade to a 240-volt). If you were to plug in an integrated battery/charger, then it could draw on that 110-volt power continuously and store the charge in a charger-side (not a car-side) battery. Then, a L2-connector could deliver this stored charge to the car during the time the car is plugged in.

For example, say the car is unplugged from noon-3pm. The charger/battery is drawing power from the 110-volt outlet during this time and storing it in the charger-side battery. Then you plug the car in from 3pm-6pm. It should be possible to transmit 6 hours' worth of power drawn (noon-6pm) via a L2-speed charger in just those final three hours that the car is plugged in. Every charger I'm aware of can only deliver 3 hours' worth of charge (3pm-6pm) during this time window.

I realize that integrating the battery with the charger would make the unit heavy, but still there must be lots of garages where a 240-volt outlet is cost-prohibitive.

Does this exist already, or has anyone announced a product in the works? Would greatly appreciate any info. I'm no electrical engineer so maybe this is totally infeasible, that would also be useful information. Thanks!

It exists. One example is the Aerovironment Home Charging Appliance

HCA_low_Lrg.jpg

Listed here

kennethcwilbur said:
... I realize that integrating the battery with the charger would make the unit heavy, but still there must be lots of garages where a 240-volt outlet is cost-prohibitive. ...
I'm not an EE either, but such an appliance would have to have a battery capacity similar to the car's. I would think that it would end up costing a third or so the price of the LEAF itself. You can get a lot of electrical work done for that kind of money.

I can't think of a situation where 20kWh worth of lead acid or NiCd batteries plus charger and control unit could be less expensive than a 240V/20A circuit.

Thanks very much for the info.

The question was motivated by my lifestyle - I'm a renter and I move frequently. A product like this would greatly expand the range of housing units I could consider as an EV owner.

I called Aerovironment about the Home Charging Appliance. They said it is still in testing and is very unlikely to go into production in 2012, therefore they have no pricing or release date information about it. They said that interested customers could use the "contact us" link at avinc.com. If they hear from a lot of people they might be motivated to put it into production sooner. So I guess I'm still looking for a product.

I also rent. Have you considered something like a Quick 220? http://www.quick220.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Yes, I know it should be 240, but the vendor says 220.)

If you are up to It, you can home brew a unit for much less cost.

Bill

The answer is obvious and is actually included with your Leaf if your up for a modification of your provided L1 charger. All you need are 2 110v plugs that are on different , non GFCI circuits. This will provide very close to L2 charging using only 110v receptacles. They advertise and help support MyNissanLeaf.com! http://evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; That upgrade is about $240. You also require a device called a "Quick 220 Voltage Converter" which costs about $200. So for a total of about $450 you have your solution.

Here's the text from evseupgrade.com

Is there a way I can charge on 240v if I don't have access to a 240v outlet?
Yes, you can use a device called a "Quick220" which allows you to use 2 separate normal 120v outlets, and provides a L6-20 socket for the upgraded EVSE to plug in to. Note the 120v outlets cannot be protected by a GFCI breaker, and they must be on 2 different circuits that are on alternate legs. There is an indicator light to assist in locating the proper outlets, and no harm will occur if you try the wrong ones first. The relevant model is called a A220-20L and can be ordered from http://www.quick220.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

You could easily build your own with 10 or 20 AGM batteries. A 120v -> 24 volt charger to run continuous and a 240v inverter to drive the evse as needed.
If you rented from me I would set you up. But not all landlords will be accomodating.

First off, I think we can completely disregard that "in development" AV appliance. It's interesting to think about making such a device, but practically speaking I don't see how this could possibly make sense. Maybe if the Leaf had a 6.6kw charger, and definitely for a CHAdeMO charger, but not as things are. If you want to be able to complete a full charge on L2, you'll need almost as much battery capacity as the Leaf has. If you don't do that much driving you could get by with a smaller battery pack, but if that's the case then you could also just get by with L1 only!

Even with the cheapest lead acid batteries that could do the job, a Leaf-sized pack plus the electronics will cost thousands of dollars and take up a lot of room and weigh about half a ton. Doesn't quite fit so well with your goals of portability and economy. Also those lead acid batteries will need to be replaced probably 2-3 times during your Leaf's lifetime. In all seriousness, I think it'd make more sense to just buy a 2nd Leaf and charge one while you use the other.

As others have said, there are lots of ways to get 240v charging without breaking the bank. You can convert an existing 120v outlet to 240v with nothing more than a new breaker and a new receptacle (just make sure there aren't any other outlets or lights on the circuit!), or you can run an extension cord to another 120v outlet on a different leg and use a quick220-style device. If you have a landlord that lets you charge at all, you should be able to get 240v set up somehow. If I were your landlord, I'd much rather get a 240v outlet installed for you than have you setting up some wild contraption like this.

Back