Serious resale problem with the Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
KBB knows exactly as much as we do about Leaf's price in 5 years i.e. zilch.

In any case, I don't want to say I told you so, but, this was one of the reasons I've argued why leasing is less risky compared to buying.
I thought you were advocating leasing because of technology risk. The thought being the 2014 LEAF would have more range and better technology. I had thought about leasing but was concerned the dealership would take advantage of me. That in fact ended up happening to a number of folks as I recall.

ENIAC said:
evnow said:
... In any case, I don't want to say I told you so, but, this was one of the reasons I've argued why leasing is less risky compared to buying.
I thought you were advocating leasing because of technology risk. The thought being the 2014 LEAF would have more range and better technology. ...
Two sides of the same coin. If a future EV has better specs for the same or a lower price, it's going to depress the price of our cars on the used market.

Let's get real: a new car depreciates (significantly) as soon as you drive it off the lot. Generally speaking, a car is not bought+sold as an investment. I bought my Leaf to "drive it into the ground", not to worry about it's resale value.

Stanton said:
Let's get real: a new car depreciates (significantly) as soon as you drive it off the lot. Generally speaking, a car is not bought+sold as an investment. I bought my Leaf to "drive it into the ground", not to worry about it's resale value.

What if the ground is two years from now, with a replacement battery cost of $15,000 ?

TonyWilliams said:
Stanton said:

What if the ground is two years from now, with a replacement battery cost of $15,000 ?

Completely unreasonable assumption. Besides, you're talking about a warranty event in that time frame.

Stanton said:
Besides, you're talking about a warranty event in that time frame.
I've been wondering about that. Let's say your LEAF gets down to about 10% range during the warranty period, but it is still drivable. How can you manage to use up the rest of the battery in order to qualify for a replacement? Perhaps you cannot? I guess we will find that out eventually...

ENIAC said:
I thought you were advocating leasing because of technology risk. The thought being the 2014 LEAF would have more range and better technology. I had thought about leasing but was concerned the dealership would take advantage of me. That in fact ended up happening to a number of folks as I recall.
As ENIAC put it - two sides of the same coin.

Lease lets you get out of the deal with known cost - and reduces financial risk. The financial risk exists because of the technology risk ...

you and I are fortunate to live in a climate where "the ground" may be 15-20 years out. it's 50-60 degrees in my a garage practically year round. per the subject of this thread, just for the heck of it, I called a Volt dealer and asked what they would give me in trade in value for my nearly brand new Leaf, they took down all the specs, the VIN etc, did some research and called me back with $20K... stunningly disappointing, IMHO. It appears to me that the Leaf hot whether problems are effecting resale value even in this cool climate... I do realize this is just one dealer and a trade in so it may not be representative.

DaveinOlyWA said:
I plan to drive mine into the ground than spend $10k for a 150 mile pack

20k? Which one did you call? Kirkland & Burien were both quoting 23-24k just a week ago which is what I got on my trade. Mine was older model without cold weather package too, although with 7k less miles.

Stanton said:
TonyWilliams said:
Stanton said:

Completely unreasonable assumption. Besides, you're talking about a warranty event in that time frame.

I would have suggested the same of 30% battery degradation in a year. But, not to quibble on the time frame; how about 4 years? (outside of the warranty that didn't cover your degradation anyway).

TonyWilliams said:
Stanton said:

I would have suggested the same of 30% battery degradation in a year. But, not to quibble on the time frame; how about 4 years? (outside of the warranty that didn't cover your degradation anyway).

Tony,

I'm not trying to be mean, so please don't take this as an attack, but your posts have been getting more and more negative towards the car as of late. You do have a legitimate reason, but please don't discourage people that would have no problems with the car.

Now onto the lighter note: what if the car was at 7 years but would not even start because the battery is so degraded. Would that be covered? Technically, you can't use the car, so it's broken and still under warranty as such. It is curious and I'd love to see one of the AZ LEAFs come to Nissan with this scenario in a couple of years. *Probably will be just a couple too, sadly.*

ztanos said:
TonyWilliams said:
Stanton said:

Tony,

I'm not trying to be mean, so please don't take this as an attack, but your posts have been getting more and more negative towards the car as of late. You do have a legitimate reason, but please don't discourage people that would have no problems with the car.

How would I discourage you if you're happy with your purchase? Enjoy! I enjoy my new leased LEAF, also. When the range drops off significantly, I'll probably enjoy it a lot less !!!

I will say this; I don't share the glee of several folks who gloat how "great" their car is (typically in more moderate climates than AZ, TX, deserts, et al) while so many are facing such issues with their cars. The mindset that would empower somebody to suggest "just charge more" to those people is completely beyond me.

I'm not a puppet for Nissan. I think their decision to market this car without TMS in these hot areas will ultimately be a disservice to the entire EV movement. Youre welcome to jump up and down how great your car is, and I won't confront you about it, as you do me.

TonyWilliams said:
ztanos said:
Tony,

How would I discourage you if you're happy with your purchase? Enjoy! I enjoy my new leased LEAF, also. When the range drops off significantly, I'll probably enjoy it a lot less !!!

I will say this; I don't share the glee of several folks who gloat how "great" their car is (typically in more moderate climates than AZ, TX, deserts, et al) while so many are facing such issues with their cars. The mindset that would empower somebody to suggest "just charge more" to those people is completely beyond me.

I'm not a puppet for Nissan. I think their decision to market this car without TMS in these hot areas will ultimately be a disservice to the entire EV movement. Youre welcome to jump up and down how great your car is, and I won't confront you about it, as you do me.

*sigh* I wasn't trying to confront you. I fully understand that you had a bad experience. I get that the car isn't ready, yet. I understand that Nissan didn't give full disclosure. I'm just saying that you are harshing my vibe... man :lol: . Really wasn't trying to be mean or confrontational. If I were in your shoes, I would be upset as well. I just know that you have amazing information to give and didn't want it to be negatively tainted. I have learned a lot of information from your posts. I don't own a LEAF, yet. But I still feel that, as long as I tell people the truth about it and they know what they are jumping into, it is a great car. I'm hoping that Nissan does the right thing.

*Cheers*

*Edit* Just realized this was in the resale thread. My mistake, you were completely justified in your initial post. I thought I was still in the Good Things about LEAF thread. :oops: Stupid me for opening multiple tabs.

TonyWilliams said:
I have to agree, and I share this view.
TonyWilliams said:
It's not about being negative, it's about providing constructive feedback. EVs are not a religion, they are means of transportation. While we all might have our brand preferences, it does not bode well for us as a group if we try to vilify other vehicles and manufacturers just because we don't agree with their design choices or marketing/sales practices.

That said, same applies to Nissan as well. I'm still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, even though I'm dismayed about the rate of degradation we are seeing in warm climates (and beyond). I believe that this issue should not be marginalized and be given the attention it deserves.

Never in the history of mankind has a car dealer offered more for a used car for trade-in than what the seller could get on his own. Unless they inflate the trade in offer and make it up with the new car cost.

If you want maximum value, sell the car on your own... or at least let a consignment lot get a crack at it.

dandrewk said:
Never in the history of mankind has a car dealer offered more for a used car for trade-in than what the seller could get on his own.

I highly doubt a private buyer in Phoenix, AZ would have bought my 2011 LEAF with 10,300 miles on it in 6/2012 for more than the $25,000 I got from a dealer.

shrink said:
dandrewk said:
Never in the history of mankind has a car dealer offered more for a used car for trade-in than what the seller could get on his own.

I highly doubt a private buyer in Phoenix, AZ would have bought my 2011 LEAF with 10,300 miles on it in 6/2012 for more than the $25,000 I got from a dealer.

You got a great deal. I can buy a new 2012 cheaper after tax credits here in Ga.

Back