Service and Routine Maintenance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csriram45

A lot of us bought our Leaf at dealerships that are much farther from our home. While the Leaf requires very little maintenance, I was wondering what are most of you planning to do when you do need it? I presume the service recalls etc. and regular battery check up are part of the Nissan warranty requirements and so every dealership is equipped to handle it. Would it be better to take it to dealership you purchased or the one that is more convenient?

One reason I picked a dealership so far from my house was that I heard good things about them. I also liked the fact that I get a long fun drive home. It also will help me get a good taste of what it is like to drive a considerable distance.

For service, I'll go to a closer dealership, but that's still about 20 or so miles away from me :)

Considering that I wouldn't trust my two closest Nissan dealerships with even a FALSE NAME, it means that for service I will either be going to my preferred dealer (25 miles away) or going to an independent shop.

As with any normal car, I'm pretty sure there is no warranty requirement that it MUST be a Nissan dealership. I have a great mechanic that specializes in electrical systems at my local gas station. He's done a lot of work on my Xebra over the last couple years, I'd trust him a lot more than most dealers. But he probably doesn't have the computer system required to do all the system checks that the Leaf requires once in a blue moon. And I can easily check/refill fluids for the other maintenance intervals.

For repairs, obviously, I'll be making the trek up to my preferred dealer. Hopefully that doesn't mean a flatbed too often. AAA and Nissan Roadside Assistance will probably only support taking it to the closest shop, which I'll refuse. (took me a year and a half and multiple complaints to the BBB and attorney general to finally get off the "Nissan of the Eastside" mailing list, I don't want them to even have my name)

Has anyone gone in for their 7500 mile "service" yet? It appears to be just a tire rotation, if using Schedule 2, and I don't think they do the battery check until 15000/1 year. Are they actually going to charge me just to rotate the tires on a vehicle this new? If so I reckon I'll just take it to Discount Tire - should be, what...$20?

I'm planning on going to Pat's Garage in SF. Unfortunately, not one of the Nissan dealers in my area impressed me enough to give them additional business. Except perhaps Nissan Sunnyvale, I'll request a quote from them in due time. I'm open to other suggestions from forum members as well.

wsbca said:
Has anyone gone in for their 7500 mile "service" yet? It appears to be just a tire rotation, if using Schedule 2, and I don't think they do the battery check until 15000/1 year. Are they actually going to charge me just to rotate the tires on a vehicle this new? If so I reckon I'll just take it to Discount Tire - should be, what...$20?
My local one doesn't charge me. They figure they want to be the ones to say, "Sir, your tires look a little worn, and we're having a special..."

mark13 said:
I was told to bring the car in every 6 months..

My guess is that they told you that since the maintenance schedule is put for both mileage and time. Though considering most of the maintenance is really mileage based (ie. tire rotation), you could probably ignore the time-based schedule unless you really don't drive the car much. :)

wsbca said:
I've never had a dealer charge me to have my tires rotated inside of it's standard warranty period.

DarkStar said:
wsbca said:
I've never had a dealer charge me to have my tires rotated inside of it's standard warranty period.

Turns out Pacific wants $45 to do it, so we'll be heading to Discount.

Just got an email from my dealer asking me to schedule my 3 month service. I can read pretty good, so I checked the manual and it says I should wait another 9 months. I'm also pretty good at waiting.

I purchased my LEAF at Fontana Nissan and my distance from home is 94 miles. I look forward to a September visit there for my 7500 mile checkup. I called a few days ago to say hello and Joanna said they have not had any LEAFs stop by with 7500 miles.....so far... :cool:

wsbca said:
DarkStar said:
wsbca said:
Turns out Pacific wants $45 to do it, so we'll be heading to Discount.
My dealer had me schedule my 6 mo service when I bought the car (didn't want to argue). Includes a tire rotation and lots of "checks" for something like $80. I won't be taking them up on that offer.

Discount will probably charge you some nominal fee (let us know what it is these days) for the rotation since you didn't buy the tires from them, but you'll get free rotations and balances if you need it for the life of the tires. I've always found Discount to be easy and pleasant to work with and is my preferred tire place since they can't upsell you on anything but the extended tire warranty. Other "tire" shops always seem to try to sell you other un-needed maintenance while you're there.

DeaneG said:
Just got an email from my dealer asking me to schedule my 3 month service. I can read pretty good, so I checked the manual and it says I should wait another 9 months. I'm also pretty good at waiting.

+1

Back