SF BAY AREA GROUP BUY - Save some CA$H

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
greenleaf said:
It's best to verify your email address from the Leaf website.

When was your reservation date? 4/20?

Thanks. Found it: "We just wanted to let you know you'll be able to order your new Nissan LEAF in September 2010"

So what about choosing a dealer? Do we have to or do we wait till the last moment (especially trying to find a group deal)?

trentr said:
15 and counting. keep it coming folks... :)

I'm not going on the google list but you can count me in your numbers, I think the google list may be reducing your head count a bit.

OK, here's some news. Danny from Fontana Nissan says that they can do "$1000 OFF MSRP and free delivery up to $200 miles and every extra mile will cost $2."

So for most people in the bay area (approx 400 miles to Fontana, CA), the price would be like $600 off MSRP.

Well, can I get $1400 off if I pick it up from the Fontana dealer (instead of "free" 200-mile shipping)?

With that, a September order date, the Federal $7500 and the State $5000, I might be able to make this work!

Giving up the SL and L3 "saves" another $1600 or so, and no L2 EVSE (for now) "saves" approximately another $1100.

So, approximately $32,900 + $820 "delivery" - $1400 discount + tax and licence = ?
What's the out-the-door price for the "Stripper Version" (SV)?

But, I really wanted the Level 3 capability.

I do not see mid-trip Level 2 charging as very useful. However, L2 charging can be very useful as "end-point" charging.

And, if they are making the L3 an expensive option for the SL only, what have they done with other options?

Of the options listed on the web site, none of the SL option package seemed really necessary.

I do want the very useful bluetooth for phone usage.

greenleaf said:
OK, here's some news. Danny from Fontana Nissan says that they can do "$1000 OFF MSRP and free delivery up to $200 miles and every extra mile will cost $2."

So for most people in the bay area (approx 400 miles to Fontana, CA), the price would be like $600 off MSRP.

Get the LEAF shipped free for 200 miles.
Then another 100 miles shipping at $2/mile.
and drive the last 100 miles home :).
make it $800 off MSRP.

csriram45 said:
greenleaf said:

Get the LEAF shipped free for 200 miles.
Then another 100 miles shipping at $2/mile.
and drive the last 100 miles home :).
make it $800 off MSRP.
I guess you have to specify which rest stop along I-5 you want the Leaf to be delivered. :)

Ha, It's 742.09 miles from Fontana to Albuquerque....so 200 miles free, 500 more is 1 grand...So basically free delivery. :) If I went that route....but Fontana wants to keep to California only, and I think that is a good idea.

Gavin

As soon as you get a critical mass of buyers together, you might consider contacting more of the dealers in SoCal besides Fontana. I know of two who will match that deal (just not publicly on a forum). They might be closer. The added bonus is your power as a group. That should help sway a few who haven't yet decided their pricing.
Lastly, if some decide to drive rather than haul, by then there should be a few Level-2 chargers installed along the route at LEAF houses of folks on this forum. That might make the driving option easier.
Just a thought.

BTW, I'm driving distance from Fontana Nissan towards I-5. Happy to make my Level-2 available to anyone needing juice.

Today I spoke with Edrick Baldwin (831.596.8437) at Cardinale Nissan in Seaside, CA. He said he would match Fontana's $1K off MSRP.

Tesla said:
Today I spoke with Edrick Baldwin (831.596.8437) at Cardinale Nissan in Seaside, CA. He said he would match Fontana's $1K off MSRP.

Just calculated the distance: 83 miles one way.
Okay. I would do the drive to Seaside to get the $1K off MSRP.

:)

Tesla said:

They're under 40mi from me in Gilroy, so that makes it more tempting than the Northbay dealers. However, Seaside dealership does have some pretty negative reviews at http://www.yelp.com/biz/cardinale-nissan-seaside

That being said though one should bear in mind: [a] yelp is not exactly known for unbiased reviews (although generally it goes in the other direction with false positives), and most of the complaints appear to revolve around scenarios which are likely to be moot for the Leaf purchase process.

Nonetheless, I'd be cautious about their $1k off offer. what is in the "fine print": does it assume a certain lease/payment schedule? extra dealer add-ons? is there anything in writing to insure the offer doesn't evaporate between now and when we receive their official emailed quote?

earther said:
Nonetheless, I'd be cautious about their $1k off offer. what is in the "fine print": does it assume a certain lease/payment schedule? extra dealer add-ons? is there anything in writing to insure the offer doesn't evaporate between now and when we receive their official emailed quote?
The devil is in the details. There are many ways a dealer can make up the $1K somewhere else - which is why seven of my last eight auto purchases have been through an auto broker. Unfortunately, Nissan's ordering process for the Leaf does not fit the auto broker model.

But I think more certainty is possible for quotes from Nissan dealers - such as an email from the dealer reiterating the $1K off MSRP, plus fixed costs not to exceed x amount. An "out-the-door" quote may not be possible presently due to the uncertainty regarding pricing on an L3 charging option, or if L3 charging will be included in the standard package.

There was that other thread talking about how the Northbay nissan dealer is offering 5% of, which works out to approx $1600. Could we get more with the group buy?

Back