Share-Charging-Station Cards, Charger Sharing Protocol

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

This is a place to discuss methods of Sharing Charging Stations, and the cards that are sometimes used by the more-creative (and willing) Charging Station users.

The "Charger Sharing Protocol" at this URL is helpful, but more than some want to read:
http://www.evchargernews.com/chargingprotocol.htm

The station might be a simple plug in the wall, or an L2 or QC machine, and the "card" is for use whan you leave the car and go anywhere else. Your use of the card will not only help others to share the limited charging resources, but will be a great example to others.

For some, who just don't care, even the suggestion of "sharing" might be considered an outrage. However, leaving an actual Share-Charging-Station (SCS) card (AND a paper-clip, maybe even a colored one) instead of a suggestion to go to the Internet, print, etc. ... might be more effective. Printing out 10 or even 50 B&W copies, and one box of paper clips ... is not very expensive for many of us.

I think a 8.5" x 5.5" (half-sheet) size format will fit better than a larger size in a glove box, with simple instructions on one side, and the SCS card on the other might be good. Or, a one-sided print that can be folded in half, and laminated if one desires.

A color and a black-and-white version would be good, for those without color printers. A ".pdf" file with a fill-in field for the Contact-Me phone number, so it can be personalized and printed, or printed out ready to fill in.

For printing, many copy centers have both color and black and white copy machines, and the file can even be sent in on-line and printed at many local copy centers, Costco, Target, etc, also quite inexpensively.

There could be a choice of color schemes, to better match different cars.

The instructions can contain a link to a full selection of Share-Charging-Station (SCS) cards, and the basic card-usage instructions, done gently.

garygid said:
The "Charger Sharing Protocol" at this URL is helpful, but more than some want to read:
http://www.evchargernews.com/chargingprotocol.htm
True (maybe), but the history (and the experience of many earlier generation EV drivers) is interesting and valuable :)
Keep in mind, too, there are changes and new situations afoot. For example, the Volt, if locked, when unplugged will set off the alarm (unless the owner has opted to re-program this feature). Another example: there may be locations which enforce their parking restrictions/signs, and if the first arrival qualifies for the spot only when plugged in, then the vehicle (after having charged), when unplugged to charge another (new arrival), could end up with a ticket :shock:

I like the idea of this placard. I find the original a bit wordy and busy with the scenic background, so I am working on a simpler version.
I am making mine two-sided. One will have the hours you can mark with a paper clip, the other I will use when I am just topping off and don't really need more charge, so I am thinking it will just say:

Electric Vehicle Charging

Contact Driver: 404-555-1212

If you are in need of a charge, you may unplug this vehicle.

When you finish charging, please plug in this or another waiting vehicle.

I will also add a URL if I create a home page for my car.
I look forward to a time when there are enough EVs in Georgia for me to share a charger.
The information about the Volt being likely to set off the alarm when unplugged is valuable. I was wondering whether I might want to be alerted when mine is unplugged.

It sounds like we still have plenty of figuring out with all the sharing possibilities including parking restrictions, airport parking, PlugShare, etc.

vatavian said:
I find the original a bit wordy and busy with the scenic background, so I am working on a simpler version.
Agreed. The original version has too much going on. I ended up making a version without the background and getting it printed on a bright white index card from Kinko's (it's $0.69 for the sheet). One card has my cell and the other has my wife's cell on it.

Here's the simpler version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/58udv852iu8c9t4/EVChargingProtocol.pdf

vatavian said:
I was wondering whether I might want to be alerted when mine is unplugged.

With CarWings, not sure if you know this, but you can have text alerts sent to your email or cell phone if it is unplugged and/or when it's done charging, plus more options also.

I have made personalized dashboard cards for three situations:
1. General information about the car for curious people.
2. Letting other EV drivers know they are free to unplug the car if they need a charge.
3. Showing a time after which this car will be charged enough, using a paper clip.

http://vatavia.net/leaf/chargeprotocolcard-personalized.doc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In CA we now have Assembly Bill 475 (AB475) that allows towing of your car IF somebody unplugs your car AND you are in a "AB475" space (most, but not all, need a visible towing warning at the space). Note that in some cases a whole Parking Facility can be "AB475'd" by signage at/near entrances, etc.

So, it is a bit difficult to word a 4th "card" for the AB475 situation, I think.

For example:
"Please do not unplug this vehicle, since it could then be TOWED (due to AB475)."

This seems instructive, but an open invitation for pranksters (even if your area does not have them, we do).

My best advice is:
"Do not park in any AB475'd space."

Perhaps carry copies of a sheet/card to tape to each AB475'd charger warning others to boycott the AB475-controlled space(s).

One might prepare a more detailed sheet to give to whoever owns the "AB475'd" space:

1. Thanking them for their thoughtfulness in providing the EV Charging facilities.

2. Explaining that their choice of signage makes it unsafe for vehicles to charge there.

3. Asking them to PLEASE remove the AB475-STYLE "towing warning" signage that makes it unsafe for any vehicle to use the space.

4. Reminding them that you look forward to the signage change so that you can feel comfortable using the space and being their customer again.

Hopefully we can (gently and politely) educate people and eliminate all the AB475 spaces and the associated TERRIBLE threat of being TOWED if somebody happens to UNPLUG our legally-charging or just-charged Electric Vehicle.

garygid said:
In CA we now have Assembly Bill 475 (AB475) that allows towing of your car IF somebody unplugs your car AND you are in a "AB475" space

Fortunately I don't have to worry about this (yet at least--let's see how many states follow CA's example).

However, what's been your experience with locking the nozzle to your car? Most (but not all) public nozzles I've seen have the hole in the release lever that would allow locking the nozzle. Coupled with a combination lock and a protocol card that allows another EV owner to contact you and get the combo to unlock you and unplug you for non-AB475 spots, it seems like a pretty good solution. Yes, sad that it has to come to that, but workable nonetheless (unless it's been your experience that most public charging stations don't have the "hole" to allow this--I just haven't seen enough to know one way or another).

lpickup said:
garygid said:
In CA we now have Assembly Bill 475 (AB475) that allows towing of your car IF somebody unplugs your car AND you are in a "AB475" space

Fortunately I don't have to worry about this (yet at least--let's see how many states follow CA's example).

However, what's been your experience with locking the nozzle to your car? Most (but not all) public nozzles I've seen have the hole in the release lever that would allow locking the nozzle. Coupled with a combination lock and a protocol card that allows another EV owner to contact you and get the combo to unlock you and unplug you for non-AB475 spots, it seems like a pretty good solution. Yes, sad that it has to come to that, but workable nonetheless (unless it's been your experience that most public charging stations don't have the "hole" to allow this--I just haven't seen enough to know one way or another).

I'd be reluctant to lock a public charger to my car. If someone is intent on removing it, I'd rather suffer low charge than a mangled port. Besides which, I'd question the legality of locking something that's not mine.

I have been locking the connector with a combination lock whenever using a public charging station. I also post a card showing when I expect to return and my cell phone number. After 8 months, no problems and no calls.

Nubo said:
I'd be reluctant to lock a public charger to my car. If someone is intent on removing it, I'd rather suffer low charge than a mangled port. Besides which, I'd question the legality of locking something that's not mine.

I agree. I'd feel a bit uncomfortable too and haven't done it yet (I don't even have the right sized lock yet). But why else would there be a lock hole if that's not what it was meant for? I mean they do make nozzles without the hole, so it seems like if a charging station vendor didn't intend for public charging stations to be locked, they'd just get the nozzle without the hole.

And I wonder what would break first, the port, or the little plastic tooth at the end of the locking lever?

2012-12-09_16-33-56_364.jpg

I made some cards to display on the dash while public charging. On the other side of the card shown is an "Okay to unplug" message. Hopefully this will be useful while using public chargers.

The three blue lights turn OFF after some time. So ... although your description to a non-LEAF or non-EV passer-by seems good, it might be better to refer to "all three lights stopped blinking or OFF". :)

Back