Should I wait for the 2016 Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is if you were planning to buy a SV or SL. The S battery size will not change. No indication yet on how all this will affect the pricing...

chuhouse2003 said:
Yes, you should. The 2016 LEAF will have a bigger battery which was claimed 25% more range.

tls said:
Hi all,

Should we wait?

Cheers!
Terry

Too general a question. Need input. What are your mileage needs? Climate? Topography? Typical speeds? Do you really need 30 kWh, especially when you're likely to get a 2015 at a good discount while they last?

Eh, it really depends on your personal situation I guess. My Wife and I discussed this and came to the conclusion that the extra range of the 2016 wouldn't have had a major positive impact on us. We ended up scoring a great deal on our 2015 SL. Especially closing the deal for it on the last day of the month.

Normally I'd say wait because you can either get the 2016 or get a better deal on the '15. However, after talking with a dealer last week that was at a "Ride and Drive" event with the local EV group, it sounds like they are making every effort to blow out inventory right now and are highly motivated by Nissan to move units. Nissan is probably pushing out inventory already with heavy incentives to beat the psychological "model year" effect on top of the anticipated news of the capacity boost. Local dealer has over 10 units on the lot, which is more than twice the number I've ever seen there before.

I would also guess that in addition to the model and price premium, the 30kWh battery units will probably be in relatively high demand making them difficult to get and difficult to get a "deal" on. I would expect to pay sticker or close to it for those units for at least the first few months.

AlanSqB said:
Normally I'd say wait because you can either get the 2016 or get a better deal on the '15. However, after talking with a dealer last week that was at a "Ride and Drive" event with the local EV group, it sounds like they are making every effort to blow out inventory right now and are highly motivated by Nissan to move units. Nissan is probably pushing out inventory already with heavy incentives to beat the psychological "model year" effect on top of the anticipated news of the capacity boost. Local dealer has over 10 units on the lot, which is more than twice the number I've ever seen there before.

I would also guess that in addition to the model and price premium, the 30kWh battery units will probably be in relatively high demand making them difficult to get and difficult to get a "deal" on. I would expect to pay sticker or close to it for those units for at least the first few months.

I am in this boat right now. I'm driving a gas guzzler with 120k miles and I am hunting for the right deal on a LEAF. I could wait a few months and see what 2016s bring, or jump on the great 2015 deals that are already happening. For new LEAFs, there is $5000 NMAC cash plus 0% for 72 months right now, making it a great deal especially in states like Colorado with additional state tax refunds.

Wouldn't a dealer always tell you that "now is the best time to buy!" I wonder if the 2015 leafs will go on crazy crazy sales when the 2016 comes out with some updates. But if 2017/2018 is a total redesign the 2016 update would probably be modest so not sure how you beat 0% 72 months and $5000 cash back. I mean the only way to beat that is with 0% 72 months and $7500 cash back plus dealers offering deep discounts?

I waited until the '15s were out and went shopping for a '14 thinking I would get a good deal. However, the '14s flew out the door here quickly and I totally missed the boat. Ended up getting my '15 in July of 2014 and I'm very happy with it.

Moral of the story: if you're looking to get a good deal on a 15 after MY change, be ready to move fast.

chuhouse2003 said:
Yes, you should. The 2016 LEAF will have a bigger battery which was claimed 25% more range.
True, so I should wait..
But then, the Leaf 2 is coming out after that with even more range..
Maybe I should wait a bit for that..
Yep..
Of course, the Bolt should be coming out and it will probably have more range than the Leaf 2..
So I should wait for that..
Yep..
What, the Tesla Model 3? More range? Well, I should wait for that for sure...
etc...
etc...

Or, I could look at what I need/want in range and what I can afford to pay.

You can always get more by waiting.. Always..
Sometimes it makes sense to wait. But not always..

desiv
p.s. The release orders and ranges aren't there to be accurate, just to show a point..
p.p.s. Ok, I can't ALWAYS get more by waiting.. I can't get more yummy Dodo bird egg omelets by waiting.. Man, I miss those.. But you get the point..

Great perspective desiv. Also, after driving my wife's car for a week, I'm inclined to say that every additional day in ICE purgatory is a day definitely wasted. Don't delay that EV grin. :D

desiv said:
True, so I should wait..
But then, the Leaf 2 is coming out after that with even more range..
Maybe I should wait a bit for that..
Yep..
Of course, the Bolt should be coming out and it will probably have more range than the Leaf 2..
So I should wait for that..
Yep..
What, the Tesla Model 3? More range? Well, I should wait for that for sure...
etc...
etc...

Or, I could look at what I need/want in range and what I can afford to pay.

You can always get more by waiting.. Always..
Sometimes it makes sense to wait. But not always..

desiv
p.s. The release orders and ranges aren't there to be accurate, just to show a point..
p.p.s. Ok, I can't ALWAYS get more by waiting.. I can't get more yummy Dodo bird egg omelets by waiting.. Man, I miss those.. But you get the point..
First, he asked for our opinions if he should wait for 2016 LEAF, 2016 only!!! not 2018 or whenever next gen LEAF coming. I suggested him to wait simply because it's August already. It is pretty close to the date the 2016 LEAF come out. Second, couple auto news websites also said that 2016 will get a bigger battery. You can google them if you want. Under the information that we have from those sites and the date he ask us the question, Wait for 2016 is simply my suggestion to him. You can suggest whatever you want to him too. You don't have to extend this to LEAF 2, Bolt, or Model 3. And of course, he is going to make the final decision, not us.

It will interesting to see, when the 2016 comes out, and IF it has more range, what happens to the 2015 prices and lease offers. Either the prices will start out close and the existing stock will go on sale, or the 2016 will be so much more expensive it will be like a model above the SL...

EDIT: I mean much more expensive to drive off the lot, not necessarily a much higher MSRP.

The real question is Will someone buying a Leaf today feel buyers remorse in a couple of months.

I think they'll - either because they would want the bigger battery or the better price of '15 sv/sl.

Will they feel buyers remorse in a couple of years ? Likely if they bought instead of leasing.

chuhouse2003 said:
First, he asked for our opinions if he should wait for 2016 LEAF, 2016 only!!! not 2018 or whenever next gen LEAF coming.
Yes, I saw that..
chuhouse2003 said:
I suggested him to wait simply because it's August already. It is pretty close to the date the 2016 LEAF come out.
And that's fine. I was just pointing out that waiting for the sake of a more something (bigger battery) can be a catch-22 and lead to more waiting. Not that he was asking about 2018...
chuhouse2003 said:
Second, couple auto news websites also said that 2016 will get a bigger battery. You can google them if you want.
No need to. I fully accept that to be the case. The question isn't whether or not there will be more range, it was whether or not to wait..
chuhouse2003 said:
Wait for 2016 is simply my suggestion to him. You can suggest whatever you want to him too.
And that's fine. My reply was just to point out an issue with "waiting for tech."
chuhouse2003 said:
You don't have to extend this to LEAF 2, Bolt, or Model 3. And of course, he is going to make the final decision, not us.
Yep, I didn't have to.. I didn't have to post at all. But I did.. I'm funny that way.. ;-)
It's no big deal.
Some people think he should wait. That's a valid idea.
But if you're waiting for more tech that you might not need (not sure, just a possibility), then it might not be worth it to wait..

Or it might... ;-)

Have a good one..

desiv

Well... all this analysis....how about....

When the 2016 comes out with the bigger battery...everyone will trade in their older leaf's... and I'll get a great deal on a used one...

Cheers!
Terry

Back