Simplified Range Testing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herm said:
Do you remember when I proposed putting the car up on jackstands and just running the motor until it cut-off?.. the heater test is simpler, no jackstands required.

Aircraft piston engines are tested when new with a "club" bolted on the crankshaft. The newly manufactured engine can either turn it at 2700 rpm (or whatever the test speed is), or it can't (rejected).

Simple, but it's a pass/fail. It doesn't provide much data.

Herm said:
TonyWilliams said:
To my knowledge, nobody has posted that they've done this test. Simple and universal, yes. Useful, I don't know.
All the issues that you present for a drive are all issues that can be mitigated. And it doesn't take 5 hours.

Its not a useful test if you did not do it when the car was new.. I guess most people just do not worry about batteries wearing out. Also very hard to brag my car lasted 5 hours running the heater :)

Ya, not much bragging rights there, for sure. Honestly, nothing measures the energy as well as a real, controlled road test. Everything else needs a caveat to compare. That doesn't mean everybody has the proper highways, temps, etc, to make this happen.

Edit: the battery capacity that LEAF reports to Consult III and the future LEAFscan should give us really good data.

The new car at 84 miles at 4 miles/kWh equivalent (100kmh) is actually pretty rock solid. It doesn't rely on ANY of the car's equipment to perform, and there is no way Nissan is pumping out cars with more than a few percent variance in batteries, when new.

LEAFfan said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LBW is pretty consistently at 48 or 49 GID which is 17.7%

LBW is always at 17.4%, VLBW is always at 8.5%, and Turtle varies depending on speed...2.4% at faster speeds and 1.4% at slow speeds.

oooh ya :oops: and if I told you I was actually paid to 10 key at work would you believe me? and i have actually seen LBW at 48 GID twice before including less than a week ago...

TonyWilliams said:
drees said:
TickTock said:
"it's been shown that GIDs get bigger below LBW"

Can you provide a reference? I've heard this mentioned before but haven't yet seen any data supporting this claim (haven't seen data conflicting with it either).
I'll have to dig them up (not having any luck at this moment), but I know it was mentioned in the range test threads where people watching the gid-meters below LBW noticed that they were going much farther per gid than earlier. I think it was surfingslovak who noticed this during the test and I believe that planet4ever has independently verified this if my memory is correct (it may not be!).

I don't think the Gids are intentionally different at the low end, but many cars were. What's worse, is it was not uniform. My car, Black782, performed just like Red244 that I own previously.

I think it's just bad (hall effect) instruments in some cars, because there are some that are significantly out there. Others, not so much. You can't make a judgement either way with individual cars, until you observe how that car performs.
That makes sense. On my car, although there is some fluctuation the value of a gid looks roughly the same below 50 as above. I plotted gids vs. time and charge vs. time for a dead_to_100 charging session. Charge vs time is the integral of pack_volts*pack_amps*delta_t. It is based on the canbus reading (which has not been verified as accurate) so the only significant thing to take away is it does increase very steadily as we would expect during charging - much more steadily than the gid count. Makes me think the hall sensor isn't really that bad and the gids just have something else going into the formula causing the variability.

Attachments

• chgvstime.jpg
    chgvstime.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 34
Back