SoCal Branch LEAF Gathering - Our First Year

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Boomer for the synopsis of Cerritos meet up. So Gary, when is our next meet up? I vote for the morning of July 30....in Santa Ana?

How is it working out with 2 meetings a month? Different crowds at each?
I'm looking forward to seeing the SOC meters at some point.

gascant said:
How is it working out with 2 meetings a month? Different crowds at each?
I'm looking forward to seeing the SOC meters at some point.

It's working well. We're a lot less organized than you Bay Area folks. We don't have any formal agenda or slide presentations and the meetings are smaller, and more social. We almost always have new LEAF owners or customers who are expecting their LEAFs soon, and we always make time for their questions. Since we have Gary and sometimes other true electronics brains present, there is usually a discussion of the latest in SOC and/or home grown EVSE tech, and we sometimes have a tech breakout session where you need a PhD to decipher anything that's said (not joking :) ). The Santa Ana sessions are usually smaller and we get more folks from the OC and South LA, though a member known as 91040 drove down from Sunland a couple weeks ago.

The Cerritos meetings are often at a Nissan dealer, but sometimes at Hometown Buffet, nearby, so there is some charging available. The Cerritos dealer offers free breakfast, a meeting room and discounts on parts and accessories. These meetings are usually larger and due to the location being more central, they draw from a wider area.

Recently, a North LA group has formed and they seem to be having a good time as well, meeting at restaurants. Gary went to the last one on Sunday and they were happy with the meetup.

Regarding getting to see a SOC meter, we need to get that relay going, and perhaps you could host Gary with his SOC meter as a passenger and ferry him somewhere scenic and central. :lol: Just a suggestion.

tbleakne said:
I am going to attend the EV group that meets monthly at SoCal AQMD in Diamond Bar, this Sat at 10 AM. I confirmed last month that they have 240V charging receptacles that work with your upgraded EVSE. Anyone else want to join me?

http://evaosc.org/
Thanks for the heads up, Tom. I'm going to try to attend the mtg on Saturday.
I attended a meeting last year, but this will be the first since getting my LEAF.
I'm looking forward to learning from what Lisa M. has to share with the group.

I had been planning for the next meeting on the 23rd in Santa Ana ...
but now I have friends from Korea arriving on the 21st, and probably staying until the 31st ...
so I MIGHT be busy either or both Saturdays, but ... maybe not.
So, either the 23rd or 30th is OK for me.

-------
I expect to have some SOC-Meter Kits (about $150 each) available, and MAYBE one or two assembled units (about $250 each). For some, a no-cut, no-solder SOC-Kit might be about $220, if that is desireable.

Also, I have Red or Green (I have not seen these operate yet), and Blue or Yellow LED displays available. I could give you a choice of color as long as I have more than one color and the SOC-Meter is not fully assembled. Let me know.

If enough firmly commit to buying, I could get more parts on order.

After my guests leave, we could probably have an SOC-Meter "workshop".

-------
So, there was one vote for the 30th ...
Any more votes or preferences?

Looks like the 30th has it, but I will wait until this afternoon to give "those-that-sleep" a chance to "vote". However, like American voting, perhaps there is only an intended illusion that your votes are significant. :lol:

MW: Any Color preference for your SOC-Meter display (RGBY,None)?

Can't make the 23rd. The 30th should be fine though there was talk that the North LA group would meet that morning.

Regarding the SOC meter, readability is the only issue for me.

Kamsamida.

Looks like July 30th wins: Hometown Buffet on 17th St
in Santa Ana. I hope to be there at about 8 AM.

Good News,
I found some cost-effective 12-inch moulded L6-20R to 5-15P "adapter" cords
for our group and ordered 50 so we can easily make any EVSE-adapters we want.

Lowes has the 6-30P / 6-50P and 10-30P / 10-50P plugs (P&S brand, red box)
for about $15 each. The Camco 14-50P at www.Amazon.com (for 14-30, 14-50
and 14-60 sockets) is almost $20, but the "safety" handle is a nice feature.

Hopefully these adapter cords will arrive before the meeting on the 30th.
PM me if you want some, and how many, at $10 each cash-and-carry.

The San Diego LEAF-Gathering is this coming Saturday morning, July 16th, at Hometown Buffet in Mira Mesa. They are expecting a LARGE group of LEAFs, maybe a small "branch".

I am thinking about driving down, if I feel well enough, to show them the SOC-Meter. If anybody wants to ride with me, please let me know.

My "adapter cords" should arrive tomorrow (Friday). If I go to San Diego, I will take a bunch with me to offer to our "neighbor" group. Let me know if I need to save some for you, and when/how you would prefer to get them from me.

I used 7: one intact, and the others as pigtails for other plug types.

My bunch of short L6-20R Adapter-Cords arrived.
They are a special "deal" for our Gathering, and friends.

I can meet somewhere if you need/want to build
adapters before our LEAF-Gathering on July 30th.

garygid said:
I expect to have some SOC-Meter Kits (about $150 each) available, and MAYBE one or two assembled units (about $250 each). For some, a no-cut, no-solder SOC-Kit might be about $220, if that is desireable.

Also, I have Red or Green (I have not seen these operate yet), and Blue or Yellow LED displays available. I could give you a choice of color as long as I have more than one color and the SOC-Meter is not fully assembled. Let me know.

garygid said:
OK, I will have to lash 4 displays together and take them outside.
I will report the results.
I commit to purchasing a kit at the next meeting, now scheduled for July 30th. Whichever color wins the sunlight test would be my first preference, perhaps Green ?

I have made good progress on my own project that I first displayed on my iPod at the last meeting. It is a spreadsheet for predicting delta SOC from point A to point B, intended to work with the SOC meter. Preliminary tests are quite promising.

It presently incorporates simple models for energy loss from:
1. rolling resistance
2. aerodynamic drag
3. gravitational loss/gain

I am now adding:
4a electrical loss (battery+inverter+motor) for steep uphill
4b regeneration for downhill

I have found a simple but sufficiently accurate method for calibrating 1,2, and 3, but I will need the SOC meter to calibrate 4a and 4b.

I would like to demonstrate it and get feedback from our group before I post the spreadsheet on its own thread.

Back