Sound of something loose on driver side... RESOLVED

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ITestStuff said:
Was this something that was covered by a warranty? Seems like they went to extreme lengths to resolve it. Way beyond what I would expect. They can't possibly do this for every issue.

On the plus side, hopefully this gets added to their support DB so that no tech ever has to tear the car down like this again.

I think this warranty is coming from Nissan and not the dealer, but mine came with a 12k mile/ 12month noise warranty. I could bring it in for any noise issues, and they would resolve free of charge.

Memina said:
And finally, located noise to front headlight, a pin below it was loose and was the cause of all that rattle, the sound of it reverberating into the vents.
Wow, I had a popping noise on my LEAF (since been sold), as reported in another thread. While I could never found the culprit before it got sold, I was at one point able to recreate a similar popping noise when I pushed down on the front headlight (driver side). So I was suspicious that it was the source of the noise, but I didn't know how to get rid of it. I didn't know how to take the headlight apart without the proper tools, so I left it alone. So it's very interesting to hear now that it could very well have been the source of my rattling/popping noise, too.

Apologies for being MIA

The entire ordeal was covered under Warranty, rental car from dealership included. According to my rep, at this dealership, the foreman is the only knowledgeable guy on Leaf, and since he couldn't figure it out, they actually had the regional leaf tech come by, and I'm assuming that's why they literally took everything off to its bare form just to pinpoint the cause of that noise.

Thus far, no more noise. Problem solved and all is peace and quiet again. :)
Only drawback from this, had to buy gas for that week, which totaled the same amount paid by the leaf on electricity in one month. Yikes!!

Memina said:
Only drawback from this, had to buy gas for that week, which totaled the same amount paid by the leaf on electricity in one month. Yikes!!

Call the Nissan LEAF line. They may reimburse you for your gas costs.

locman said:
The Nissan LEAF line is 877-664-2738

Thanks for the number. I called 800nissan1 (before seeing flakeyblakee message), and they xfer me to the right place.
I opened a case. They said they'll get on it. Gave me a direct contact. I also asked them to pay for gas on my gas loaner. They agreed.

Wow. This is incredible service, especially in this day and age. My guess is that the tech and Nissan representatives got into the 'I'm not going to let this damn car beat me' type of mental attitude.

In the early 80's I bought a five year old BMW 320i from a relative. Came with a stack of service receipts. One of the things it had been brought in for a number of times was a rattle in the console. Two of the receipts had comments from the mechanic: 'Nothing found, maybe loose change on top of console'? This was never solved. Until I bought the car, and took apart the console. The A/C evaporator was there and there were tubes which were vibrating against each other. Some nylon tie straps and some popsicle sticks and the problem was solved. It did not rattle the entire 10 years I owned the car. I solved the 'hmmm, aren't the popsicle sticks going to rot with age' problem with a very ingenious solution. When I got to that 10 year point I drove the car into the back of a Honda Accord and folded the fenders and hood up. The popsicle sticks then ceased to be an issue.

Back