steam coming from front hood

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olsonist

This has happened to me twice, today (55 degrees) and maybe 3 months ago (65-70 degrees). I was stopped and parked, but I left the Leaf on for maybe 45 minutes while I checked email, whatever, on my iPhone. Today I think the heat may have been on, the iPhone plugged in and music on. The other time the AC may have been on and iPhone plugged in.

When I looked up, I saw steam rising from the hood. I looked at the battery temperature and that looked normal. So I turned the car off, waited awhile (20 minutes), started up and drove off.

Any idea what might be going on here?

2013 SV, 8000 miles, Oakland CA

Pretty sure it was steam since I didn't smell anything but I didn't pop the hood. It went away when I turned the car off. I will see if I can duplicate it tomorrow and I'll take better situational notes.

before you pop it open make sure to feel the hood to make sure it's not WAY TOO HOT. This doesn't come from experience or anything, just, you worry me when you say steam rising and so I think you ought to be careful.

That said you would benefit from delving into it further while it's happening, as others have said.

Willy: What the hell you need ball bearings for?
Fletch: Awww, come on guys, it's so simple maybe you need a refresher course. [leans arm on hot engine part, then jumps away] Heyya! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

My ICE car used to do this--and the engine was in the back! Condensation on the hood, evaporating in the sunlight, and a mist rising from same. Had nothing to do with the car itself, just the weather.

Ok, I tried to duplicate it and failed. After 45 minute the hood was cool, no steam, nada. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

Back