Stoaty's Guide to Energy Efficient Driving of the Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit, I am a recently reformed addict to somewhat stupid driving.
But I I was NEVER as bad as the 40 idiots that stupidly raced around me in the past year.
What the heck was I thinking by poor inefficient driving? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Are these idiots thinking at all???? :?: :?: :?: :?:

Stoaty said:
If you read his quote, he is giving other drivers the message "You aren't going to get there any faster if I speed up." He is not preventing other drivers from getting to their destination sooner, the traffic is doing that job.
Well this particular item galls me, because I was behind a Prius who was obviously hypermiling (taking a ramp at a sedate 30mph) (speed sign said 55). I was stuck behind this guy for quite awhile (single lane marge point), until I finally was able to take the next exit to the airport. If he had driven the 55 on the sign, everything would have been good, but his slow pace added about 5 minutes to my trip.

I have no objection to hypermiling when someone can pass you on a multilane highway, but highly object when it's a single lane situation, and you are slowing people trying to get to work, or appointments, and they can't afford to lose even five minutes. In my case the Prius dude rudely added five minutes by blocking my progress to the airport exit.

thankyouOB said:
they just itch to put someone behind them.
Now that you mention it, my carpool partner and I see this all the time. Someone will pass me only to get stuck behind the car or truck I was following. Or they will pass and then slow down to the speed I was doing (on cruise) or even slower. I call it "gotta be in front syndrome".

theaveng
Delivery Date: 31 Dec 2014

a serious commenter?
or
a troll with a sign that says "troll."

TimLee said:
Stoaty said:
If you read his quote, he is giving other drivers the message "You aren't going to get there any faster if I speed up." He is not preventing other drivers from getting to their destination sooner, the traffic is doing that job.
When will ICE drivers learn this??? :?: :?: :?:
In the past 12 months, and less than 7,000 miles of driving, there must have been at least 40 occasions in which some idiot driving an ICE raced around me on the right (occasionally on the left) as I was properly slowing down for a traffic light that was going to be be red for at least 1 minute. All 40 of these idiots accomplished NOTHING.
When will people learn :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I'm convinced some drivers can't think more than 5 seconds ahead. Sometimes I'll follow a truck in the slow lane, and leave plenty of space. Invariably drivers will jump into the space, since it's a "hole". Anyone not in a trance can see that the truck is traveling at a low speed. Yet somehow the lane jumpers are "surprised" and have to dart back out of the lane into either the same hole they left, or a few spaces back. Silly rabbits.

Nubo said:
I'm convinced some drivers can't think more than 5 seconds ahead.

This is probably the #1 problem with drivers in any situation. If drivers' education taught nothing other than (1) to always think ahead and (2) which pedal is the gas and which is the brake, so many people would immediately become better drivers.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Does the 12MPH MAX efficiency figure include taking into consideration the 200watts/hr the car uses for its computer systems?
Yes, it is an empirical result IIRC. It is likely that below 12 mph the longer time for the systems loss outweighs any tiny gains in drag reduction or motor/drivetrain efficiency (if any).

theaveng said:
Well this particular item galls me, because I was behind a Prius who was obviously hypermiling (taking a ramp at a sedate 30mph) (speed sign said 55). I was stuck behind this guy for quite awhile (single lane marge point), until I finally was able to take the next exit to the airport. If he had driven the 55 on the sign, everything would have been good, but his slow pace added about 5 minutes to my trip.
You would have to been behind him for a full six miles to lose 5 minutes.

Oh okay.
So the bottom line is that you Leaf drivers DO think it's okay to block people in single lane situations & thereby make them late for work or appointments.

No. Just saying the delay usually seems longer than it really is.
I tend to assume very slow driving for an extended period is for another reason besides just saving fuel.
I give them the benefit of the doubt of nearly out of fuel, engine trouble, impared driver, just lost, or other mechanical trouble.

theaveng said:
Oh okay.
So the bottom line is that you Leaf drivers DO think it's okay to block people in single lane situations & thereby make them late for work or appointments.

Yes, we're all about driving 30mph on mythical 7-mile-long freeway ramps to make people 5 minutes late for work. An absolute epidemic of this going on.

Nubo said:
Yes, we're all about driving 30mph on mythical 7-mile-long freeway ramps to make people 5 minutes late for work. An absolute epidemic of this going on.
Uh oh, I must be out of the norm. I don't do more than 25 mph, and we have a single lane freeway onramp that is 10 miles long. Most people behind me end up being at least 30 minutes late to work, one guy swore it was an hour. ;)

theaveng said:
Stoaty said:

I have no objection to hypermiling when someone can pass you on a multilane highway, but highly object when it's a single lane situation, and you are slowing people trying to get to work, or appointments, and they can't afford to lose even five minutes. In my case the Prius dude rudely added five minutes by blocking my progress to the airport exit.

where exactly is this fantasy single-lane 55 mph approaching a ramp near LAX that goes on for miles and miles?
the 55 mph approach lanes/ramps around LAX are all no more than a mile long.
we dont mind your trolling BS, but at least keep it real.

smkettner said:
No. Just saying the delay usually seems longer than it really is.
I tend to assume very slow driving for an extended period is for another reason besides just saving fuel.
I give them the benefit of the doubt of nearly out of fuel, engine trouble, impared driver, just lost, or other mechanical trouble.
For the conditions the poster stated, on a one mile ramp, it would be around 55 seconds instead of 5 minutes.
Presume some innocence.
I patiently waited about two minutes today for a truck to attempt to get out of the road.
Either broke down or ran out of gas or diesel about 20 feet from the station.
Patience is a good thing when driving.

this issue could be eliminated by not allowing single drivers access to the carpool lane. I drive under the speed limit most of the time and never impede anyone's ability to go anywhere but will still have people follow me tailgating for MILES and MILES. its weird. it is as if they must have the far right lane and I should get out of their way...

and it might be different there but here we get people driving 60 mph (the speed limit) in the HOV lanes all the time. we simply pass them and move on. there are a few places where the HOV lane veers off on its own so passing is not an option but those places are rare and for fairly short distances

DaveinOlyWA said:
this issue could be eliminated by not allowing single drivers access to the carpool lane. I drive under the speed limit most of the time and never impede anyone's ability to go anywhere but will still have people follow me tailgating for MILES and MILES. its weird. it is as if they must have the far right lane and I should get out of their way...

and it might be different there but here we get people driving 60 mph (the speed limit) in the HOV lanes all the time. we simply pass them and move on. there are a few places where the HOV lane veers off on its own so passing is not an option but those places are rare and for fairly short distances

what is the point of that? (getting our commuting LEAFs out of HOV lane?)

thankyouOB said:
what is the point of that? (getting our commuting LEAFs out of HOV lane?)
It is the big question of what you are trying to accomplish with HOV lanes.
The primary intent of the HOV lane is to reduce congestion in urban areas. Increase car pooling and reduce the number of vehicles in the urban area.
Granting HOV access to certain vehicles that are zero emissions is going after reducing emissions in the urban area, an entirely different goal than what was intended by HOV.
It is also a good goal.
But the two goals are at cross purposes.

DaveinOlyWA said:
here we get people driving 60 mph (the speed limit) in the HOV lanes all the time. we simply pass them and move on. there are a few places where the HOV lane veers off on its own so passing is not an option but those places are rare and for fairly short distances

In southern CA, once you're in the HOV lane, you are "locked in". I think there are something like 32 or 36 yellow stripes to remind you. You can only leave the lane at a select few spots that are about 3 1/2 feet long. Don't blink. :p

Ok, so I exaggerate. But, entry/exit from the HOV there is very restricted. And the taboo is deeply ingrained in the local population. I remember the first time I moved out of an HOV with "locals" in the car. There was a collective gasp and they all exclaimed at once "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!?", as if I'd almost caused some horrible accident. I take it the fines are mind-boggling. Somehow here in the SF area, we manage ok without surrounding our HOV lanes with barbed wire and machine-gun nests. :lol:

Back