Sudden major range decrease along with charging error-SOLVED!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raynman10

2015 Nissan Leaf S purchased used 7/2019 with 28,000 miles, currently at 35,000 miles
Problem: Charging sequence shuts off at 100% with 12 bars BUT dialog box states “2-3 hours until fully charged”.
Currently shows 74-mile range with the 12 bars at conclusion of charge BUT range drops about 3 miles per actual mile driven, i.e. drive 20 miles and range will show drop of 50+. This was a sudden not gradual issue. Battery has not been charged using QC since purchase in July 19 but did have old QC code B2820.
Dealer battery capacity test states “Battery tests very high and good for your battery” in all three categories.
Turtle icon has now appeared for first time today but Issue began on 11/15/2019. Dealer states this is normal for car driven on freeway numerous times, suggests replacing battery!
I have attached shots from Leaf spy pro, any guidance GREATLY appreciated!
IMG-4873.jpg

Ray1.jpg

Ray2.jpg

Ray3.jpg

Ray4.jpg

Ray5.jpg

Ray6.jpg

Ray7.jpg

Ray8.jpg

Ray9.jpg

Turtle mode at full charge and no extreme temperatures shown means an electronic issue as turtle is the "safe mode" of the car so it still be driven safely. Dealer needs to address issue with a real Leaf tech.

+1 on getting the 12V battery externally charged, tested and/or replaced. All kinds of weird things start to happen when the 12V supply is too low. I would do that first before doing anything expensive to eliminate that as a potential problem.

And +1 as well on needing air in the tires. I'd suggest 40 PSI cold as a good starting point.

Thanks for the guidance. I will direct her to take car to auto shop and get battery tested and/or replaced along with the tire pressure corrected and report back.
:lol:

^^^
There's probably a DTC related to his issue stored. He already got the yellow ! car light which should've triggered 1 or more code.

Since the OP states he has the Pro version of the app, he should include the screen w/all the DTCs retrieved.

LeftieBiker said:
My guess is that you have a marginal cell that isn't yet bad enough to trigger an error code.

He has one high cell that is triggering the high voltage cutoff. This is why he has nearly no power available.

hi everyone
Thanks for the input.
I can see the imbalance, can I re balance? Can a shop re balance? Or is battery toast?
Warranty doesn't cover battery, niece is second owner. She bought extended warranty but it doesn't cover battery. The 12V did test as original so we are going to replace anyway tomorrow.
I am sending the past DTC list next.

Raynman10 said:
hi everyone
Thanks for the input.
I can see the imbalance, can I re balance? Can a shop re balance? Or is battery toast?
Warranty doesn't cover battery, niece is second owner. She bought extended warranty but it doesn't cover battery. The 12V did test as original so we are going to replace anyway tomorrow.
I am sending the past DTC list next.

A good shop could re-balance. It's just a matter of charging to "100%", and opening the pack and manually pulling down the overcharged cell with a resistor.

However, in case the cell actually is bad, it will then have the opposite effect of suddenly diving low when at low SOC. E.g. when you get to 30%, it would then nosedive to <5% under hard acceleration.

This is a really tricky situation to be in, it's such a shame that the dealerships wont help here :/

Raynman10 said:
Warranty doesn't cover battery, niece is second owner.

As far as I understand it, this is a battery failure, not a battery wear out.

The lithium-ion battery coverage period is 96 months or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Capacity or gradual wear out isn't covered.

In addition to the lithium-ion Battery Coverage for defects in materials or workmanship, the lithium-ion battery is also warranted against capacity loss below nine bars of capacity as shown on the vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge for a period of 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.

But a failure should be covered. The battery seems to have one cell with a defect.

WetEV said:
But a failure should be covered. The battery seems to have one cell with a defect.

The problem is that the official tool that Nissan uses is not as good as Leafspy. It doesn't give you the same quick overview of battery health. You have to rely on the codes thrown by the LBC. It takes a more skilled technician to actually diagnose this as a bad cell.

Back