Taste of winter range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrockWI said:
Since I found out about the partial recirc mode I have been playing with it a lot. On our 2013 S it blinks 4 or 5 times then goes out, you can let the button go once it starts to blink. If it stays on I would assume you are in recir only mode.
Yes it's the same way my '13 S acts, the light goes off after the blinking.
What do you mean by "if it stays on"? do you mean after a power down of the car? And are you assuming if it doesn't, you'd be in full(100%) recirc? IMO that wouldn't make sense as the light is off, if anything I'd think it might resort to 0% recirc mode......as someone else mentioned, this mode would sure be a good use for a multicolored LED.....

Someone posted after holding the button down the led stayed lit. If thats the case I think it is just in recirc mode not partial recirc mode.

BrockWI said:
Someone posted after holding the button down the led stayed lit. If thats the case I think it is just in recirc mode not partial recirc mode.
Yes I would totally agree with that. I also believe to get it into partial recirc mode the recirc has to be OFF(light off). Holding down the recirc button when it's already in 100% recirc mode(light on) doesn't start the flashing, at least thats how mine acted.

jjeff said:
BrockWI said:
Yes I would totally agree with that. I also believe to get it into partial recirc mode the recirc has to be OFF(light off). Holding down the recirc button when it's already in 100% recirc mode(light on) doesn't start the flashing, at least thats how mine acted.

I tried it again, it like jjeff said, the recirc light has to be off. In this case, both lights flash, and it goes back to the fresh air light. If the recirc light is on, neither flash and it stays on recirc. My memory was failing me and I was confusing the two.

I've also noticed that I cannot access this mode with any air blowing over the windsheild - either just windshield or windshield + feet. It seems like this is case I would want it most often; with the air flowing just into the cabin, the windows are pretty much guaranteed to fog up this time of year. I guess I'll just stick to windshield + feet with a low fan setting. Luckily for me, I'm not pushing the range of my car. In the winter, I rarely drive more than 25 miles in a day.

GetOffYourGas said:
I've also noticed that I cannot access this mode with any air blowing over the windsheild - either just windshield or windshield + feet. It seems like this is case I would want it most often; with the air flowing just into the cabin, the windows are pretty much guaranteed to fog up this time of year. I guess I'll just stick to windshield + feet with a low fan setting. Luckily for me, I'm not pushing the range of my car. In the winter, I rarely drive more than 25 miles in a day.
Yes I noted that early on since I also used to always(in the winter anyway) have air going to both the windshield and also floor, just the way I've always done it. Then when this recirc trick was pointed out someone mentioned that even when the controls are selected to floor only that a small amount of air was always directed towards the windshield. I tried it and sure enough it was enough to keep the windows clear, at least on a dryer day with not with a car full of people. When I had 4 people in the car it was not enough and I was forced to select windshield and floor, but otherwise I've been running floor only in mild recirc with no issues.

jjeff said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Yes I noted that early on since I also used to always(in the winter anyway) have air going to both the windshield and also floor, just the way I've always done it. Then when this recirc trick was pointed out someone mentioned that even when the controls are selected to floor only that a small amount of air was always directed towards the windshield. I tried it and sure enough it was enough to keep the windows clear, at least on a dryer day with not with a car full of people. When I had 4 people in the car it was not enough and I was forced to select windshield and floor, but otherwise I've been running floor only in mild recirc with no issues.

I'm not sure where "MSP" is, let alone its climate, but this morning I tried this trick and it was not enough to keep the windows clear with just me in the car. I quickly gave up and reverted to my old known habit. The weather here has been seasonably warm (hovering around 30F), and very wet - it rained most of the day yesterday, and turned to snow by late afternoon. It snowed through the night and is still falling now (currently ~1:15pm here). In a dryer climate, I could see this working better than current conditions here. I'll try again in less wet conditions.

GetOffYourGas said:
I'm not sure where "MSP" is, let alone its climate, but this morning I tried this trick and it was not enough to keep the windows clear with just me in the car. I quickly gave up and reverted to my old known habit. The weather here has been seasonably warm (hovering around 30F), and very wet - it rained most of the day yesterday, and turned to snow by late afternoon. It snowed through the night and is still falling now (currently ~1:15pm here). In a dryer climate, I could see this working better than current conditions here. I'll try again in less wet conditions.
MSP is the airline code for Minneapolis, St. Paul MN, I'll update my profile to add MN. Yes in a rainy condition I could see how any recirc would be unwanted and cause fog. Generally in MN when it's cold it's dry, we have to worry more about frosted windows vs foggy, at least in the winter.

jjeff said:
GetOffYourGas said:
MSP is the airline code for Minneapolis, St. Paul MN, I'll update my profile to add MN. Yes in a rainy condition I could see how any recirc would be unwanted and cause fog. Generally in MN when it's cold it's dry, we have to worry more about frosted windows vs foggy, at least in the winter.

Roger. For some reason, airport code hadn't crossed my mind. I was thinking it was international.

Being just down wind of all 5 Great Lakes, Syracuse is a fairly wet climate year round. But the past few days have been particularly bad, since it warmed up by about 40 degrees from -10 to 30F. Between the melting snow and the constant precipitation, well you get the idea.

Most of the time, I just don't care about saving energy in the winter. I frequently see 1.5-2.0 miles/kWh. The lowest I've seen is 1.1miles/kWh for the day. That's with realistic family driving - short trips, the car cools off between each, and the kids want/need a "toasty" 60F car.

I'm the one who discovered that the Floor Only setting also provides some defrosting air. I use this setting in all sorts of weather, rain included. You need to clear the windshield first with Defrost mode, but once it's clear the Floor only setting, with the fan on 2 or 3, should suffice to keep the windshield clear. I find that it also works even in Mild Recirculate mode. You need to have the air temp set pretty warm as well, at least the mid 70s.

GetOffYourGas said:
Wouldn't warming the car up to 75, as opposed to 60, negate the energy savings of partial recirc?

Possibly, possibly not. If you can get enough defrosting action with the fan set on Low, then maybe not. This workaround wasn't really thought up with ultra-low heat settings in mind. The idea is to get moderate heat, and some defrosting, with moderate energy consumption.

LeftieBiker said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Wouldn't warming the car up to 75, as opposed to 60, negate the energy savings of partial recirc?

Possibly, possibly not. If you can get enough defrosting action with the fan set on Low, then maybe not. This workaround wasn't really thought up with ultra-low heat settings in mind. The idea is to get moderate heat, and some defrosting, with moderate energy consumption.

In the winter time, when I am dressed for below-freezing temperatures, 60F feels balmy to me. Are you sure you're from upstate NY? ;)

The cabin temp rarely approaches the CC setting. When I set mine for 75F, the cabin temp rises to maybe 51. That is a reasonable temp for me. Your is probably 45.

True but there is a difference between the cabin temperature and the temperature of the air blown out of the vents. Also, IME, the Leaf sucks down a full 5-6kW until the cabin approaches the set point. At 45F, it would still be going full-bore.

GetOffYourGas said:
True but there is a difference between the cabin temperature and the temperature of the air blown out of the vents. Also, IME, the Leaf sucks down a full 5-6kW until the cabin approaches the set point. At 45F, it would still be going full-bore.
Maybe if your running the fan speed at full bore but I do what LeftieBiker does, set my thermostat high but run with my fan on 1 or maybe 2. It's my guess that at such a low fan speed the heat cycles off more than on, I just like seeing the 75 degrees, even it it's only 45 in the cabin :)

jjeff said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Maybe if your running the fan speed at full bore but I do what LeftieBiker does, set my thermostat high but run with my fan on 1 or maybe 2. It's my guess that at such a low fan speed the heat cycles off more than on, I just like seeing the 75 degrees, even it it's only 45 in the cabin :)

Yes, by using the lowest two fan speeds you get hot air but with less energy used, because the air volume being heated is low. The idea is to create a bubble of warm air around your feet and legs. If you don't need that extra warmth, though, there is little reason to raise the temp.

LeftieBiker said:
jjeff said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Yes, by using the lowest two fan speeds you get hot air but with less energy used, because the air volume being heated is low. The idea is to create a bubble of warm air around your feet and legs. If you don't need that extra warmth, though, there is little reason to raise the temp.

Therein lies the difference in our heating needs. I actually have a greater need to heat the rear seats than the front ones. My wife and I are sitting on heated seats whereas our children are sitting in car seats, negating the presence of a rear seat heater. And there are no rear vents, so putting the fan on 1 or 2 does practically nothing for them.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one here who drives the car far more for family errands than on my daily commute (which is less than 5 miles round trip). I have to keep reminding myself of that.

I actually have a greater need to heat the rear seats than the front ones. My wife and I are sitting on heated seats whereas our children are sitting in car seats, negating the presence of a rear seat heater. And there are no rear vents, so putting the fan on 1 or 2 does practically nothing for them.

The best you can do is switch air direction to FEET. Small portion will still blow to defrost. Close vents near front side windows.
Minimum is 2-3 bars for fan speed. Rear vents get very little.
Also switching recirc on and off again will result in 100% fresh intake. Therefore more air pushed to the back of the vehicle
where exit flaps are.

If you live in chilly climate buy a 12V heating blanket and cover children (do not tug anything below them!)

GetOffYourGas said:
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one here who drives the car far more for family errands than on my daily commute (which is less than 5 miles round trip). I have to keep reminding myself of that.

Driving for family errands and using the heat was actually the thing that made me start this thread... I can't let the kid freeze in her seat back there. haha.

golfcart said:
I have a 2015 S and this cold snap in the south gave me my first taste of what winter range can be like when it gets really cold. Had my toddler and wife in the car today running errands and meeting friends for lunch at the oceanfront so I had to run the heater...

golfcart said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Driving for family errands and using the heat was actually the thing that made me start this thread... I can't let the kid freeze in her seat back there. haha.

golfcart said:
I have a 2015 S and this cold snap in the south gave me my first taste of what winter range can be like when it gets really cold. Had my toddler and wife in the car today running errands and meeting friends for lunch at the oceanfront so I had to run the heater...

Point taken.

My CMax has rear vents, which really helps keep the kids warm. I wish the Leaf had the same. Oh well. In my case, I'm rarely pushing the limits of the Leaf anyway. And if it's really cold / there is any doubt about range, we'll just take the CMax.

Back