Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, thanks for the kudos :D

BTW, no followup by phone from the Nissan EV tech support manager (despite his personal promise to do so) and I still can't accept the EV service agreement so no Carwings. Those 2 hours on the phone with Nissan were unfortunately a total waste of my time.

Installed my new 3G TCU module (ordered online from TX) the other day. It's a simple enough DIY, remove 8 screws out to take out the glove box, two screws to remove the TCU mounting tray, and then 4 Torx screws to change out the TCU. Connect three coded connectors and reassemble. About 30 mins. I did pull the 12v neg terminal for 'insurance'.

Powered up and the thing seems to be working. About 3-5 bars signal strength showing. The new SIM ID shows on the "Settings - Unit ID" screen but the VIN (previously visible) is now starred out and reduced to four characters.

Had a bit of discussion with Nissan connect to get them to wipe the old TCU from their system and pair the new TCU ID with my VIN. Been pending (with a case number) for a few days now.

Today I tried deleting the vehicle and re-installing it in NissanConnect but it would not take the VIN to re-register. An online chat session got it back in but I am unable to update the vehicle info/prefs and cannot "accept" the liscence agreement.

There things sit ....

Cheers Jim

Hey Jim, this was the US Nissan Connect?

If so, this seems to be an issue on their side, as they should almost treat you like you're in the US with the new TCU?

Also, was there a part that a Nissan Service centre has to do?

I am glad we finally have someone who has gone this far with getting the TCU!

Definitely anxious to hear how this goes.

FYI, received this email from Nissan today in response to the email I sent last week (which I posted earlier in this thread):

Dear Alan,

Thank you for contacting Nissan LEAF Customer Support. We appreciate hearing from you.

I apologize for your issues with CARWINGS. To better assist you it would be best if you contact us directly. You can do so by phone at 877-664-2738, option 6. We are here to serve you from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. (EST) Monday through Saturday.

Please feel free to contact us again with any additional questions, through our website at www.nissanusa.com or by phone at 877-664-2738. We are here to serve you from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. (EST) Monday through Saturday.

Sincerely,

Ashley
Vehicle Connected Services
Nissan North America, Inc.

I replied as follows:

Hi Ashley,

I already called that number and tried to explain that, being a Canadian owner with a US car, the situation with AT&T eliminating their 2G service isn't relevant. I was told that I needed to have the TCU in my car upgraded to a newer 3G capable unit. However, in either case, the TCU would in fact connect to Rogers network in Canada, not to AT&T. Because of that, whether the connection is 2G or 3G shouldn’t matter.

The only remaining hurdle for me to use NissanConnect is to have a Nissan rep setup my account so that I can accept the " NissanConnect EV Consent" and the "NissanConnect EV Subscription Agreement". Right now, if I try to accept those agreements, I receive this message:

"We were unable to complete your request. Please contact EV Customer Support at..."

Asking me to call the same number you mentioned - which I already did. As mentioned, when I called that number I was told by a Nissan rep that I need to upgrade my TCU despite having explained to her that doing so won't help me when the vehicle is located in Canada. I even had her escalate the call to a manager, who promised to look into it for me and to call me back - he has done neither.

Further evidence that upgrading the TCU isn't going to help me get this working is mentioned here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=484337#p484337

Depsite having upgraded his TCU, that owner is unable to use NissanConnect because he is unable to get past the requirement to accept the agreements - exactly where I'm stuck.

Please have a manager call me, as I've spent several hours already with front line Nissan reps who frankly don't understand the problem.

Will keep everyone in the loop if this gets me anywhere...

I wonder if it would help to get a list of names/addresses of us who want this resolved. This list could have more "clout".

If you're on the facebook group perhaps we could gather a list?

Yeah, maybe worth a shot. Having said that, it seems like no one on that group has taken any action lately - they all seem to have given up in frustration. As far as I can tell, no Canadian has followed Nissan's advice to upgrade the TCU and actually ended up with Carwings working again in Canada.

Alozzy: you're correct. It is still a bit early (since the inability to re-accept the agreement - which worked for me until last week) and I think some are still weighing options.

And yes, some did "appear to give up" in some frustration, but, I wouldn't exclude them out from still having some further interest in helping out.

stonymtnleaf said:
Installed my new 3G TCU module (ordered online from TX) the other day. It's a simple enough DIY, remove 8 screws out to take out the glove box, two screws to remove the TCU mounting tray, and then 4 Torx screws to change out the TCU. Connect three coded connectors and reassemble. About 30 mins. I did pull the 12v neg terminal for 'insurance'.

Powered up and the thing seems to be working. About 3-5 bars signal strength showing. The new SIM ID shows on the "Settings - Unit ID" screen but the VIN (previously visible) is now starred out and reduced to four characters.

Had a bit of discussion with Nissan connect to get them to wipe the old TCU from their system and pair the new TCU ID with my VIN. Been pending (with a case number) for a few days now.

Today I tried deleting the vehicle and re-installing it in NissanConnect but it would not take the VIN to re-register. An online chat session got it back in but I am unable to update the vehicle info/prefs and cannot "accept" the liscence agreement.

There things sit ....

Cheers Jim

Go to the Service Department at your local dealer and ask them to locate Campaign Bulletin PC449 dated 17 November 2016. It has the instructions for activating the new TCU. This is not a DIY project, and you will need a dealer assist to get it working. The missing VIN on the Unit ID screen is an indicator that the installation steps were not properly completed. In addition, they will need the IMEI number off of the old TCU to complete the registration process. If the PC449 Bulletin is not available to your dealer, you will need to find a dealer (likely in the US) that has access to it and can complete the process for you.

I finally received a phone call from the manager at Nissan who earlier promised to call me back. He didn't know any technical details, but from what he explained, the act of us attempting to accept the legal agreements actually triggers a handshake with the car from the Nissan backend systems (over a cell connection).

Whatever the technical reason, he says that because the backend servers can no longer communicate with our cars, the required handshake fails and the web server then pops up the "declined" message. He says that anyone in the US with a 2G TCU will likewise be unable to accept the agreements. I reminded him that this was working from Canada until recently, but he claims that no change has been made on their side. I suspect he's just been left in the dark about a new corporate policy to force everyone to upgrade their TCUs, but that's just speculation on my part.

So, it would seem that the only way this might work is if we upgrade to the 3G TCU, but there are no guarantees.

Not really new information as I already suspected that this was a dead end. Guess we'll know definitively when someone upgrades to the 3G TCU and tries roaming on Rogers network again.

alozzy said:
So, it would seem that the only way this might work is if we upgrade to the 3G TCU, but there are no guarantees.

Not really new information as I already suspected that this was a dead end. Guess we'll know definitively when someone upgrades to the 3G TCU and tries roaming on Rogers network again.

I'm taking the plunge.... my car is booked in for Friday morning in Bellingham,, just before I import it. One way or another we'll see if this works.

Hey Tysoncooper. where in Bellingham? I assume Wilson Nissan?

Did they get the part in prior to you booking the appt?

medtech1 said:
Hey Tysoncooper. where in Bellingham? I assume Wilson Nissan?

Did they get the part in prior to you booking the appt?

Hi... not sure, but if thats the main dealership then probably yes. It's the fellow who's handling my import that's taking it there for me first thing Friday prior to delivering the vehicle to me on the Canadian side of the border.

Apparently with all the snowy weather the dealership has had a bunch of cancellations, so they already have the part in stock from a cancelled appointment.

tysoncooper said:
medtech1 said:
Apparently with all the snowy weather the dealership has had a bunch of cancellations, so they already have the part in stock from a cancelled appointment.

That might be mine. We cancelled when I got 2G working a couple of days before our appt.

I will be following with interest how yours works out since I'll be making another appt if you get it working.

baustin said:
Go to the Service Department at your local dealer and ask them to locate Campaign Bulletin PC449 dated 17 November 2016. It has the instructions for activating the new TCU. This is not a DIY project, and you will need a dealer assist to get it working. The missing VIN on the Unit ID screen is an indicator that the installation steps were not properly completed. In addition, they will need the IMEI number off of the old TCU to complete the registration process. If the PC449 Bulletin is not available to your dealer, you will need to find a dealer (likely in the US) that has access to it and can complete the process for you.
The problem is my local dealer simply recoils from anything to do with a US spec Leaf (claims the part numbers are different and not available on a Cdn parts system, yeah sure, farfetched I know ...) and is not prepared to do anything re: the TCU chngeover.

Any suggestion of how or where to locate a copy of the PC499 document online? That would be the Part 2 that explains the technical side of how to do the upgrade; I have read the Part 1 which addresses the business side of the TCU upgrade. I would be interested to see if there is a need to insert the VIN locally into the TCU, perhaps through an undisclosed key combination that activates hidden code somewhere. I have given NissanConnect the old/new TCU numbers and sim IDs as part of my service request already.

I did talk by phone to one US dealer's service manager who said they have done a few upgrades and in the end someone (their service tech presumably) calls Nissan Connect to wipe the old TCU info out and insert the new TCU/VIN combination into the system. Perhaps the PC499 is more specific on who to talk to and what info to provide.

Cheers, Jim

alozzy said:
I finally received a phone call from the manager at Nissan who earlier promised to call me back. He didn't know any technical details, but from what he explained, the act of us attempting to accept the legal agreements actually triggers a handshake with the car from the Nissan backend systems (over a cell connection).

Whatever the technical reason, he says that because the backend servers can no longer communicate with our cars, the required handshake fails and the web server then pops up the "declined" message. He says that anyone in the US with a 2G TCU will likewise be unable to accept the agreements. I reminded him that this was working from Canada until recently, but he claims that no change has been made on their side. I suspect he's just been left in the dark about a new corporate policy to force everyone to upgrade their TCUs, but that's just speculation on my part.

This seems round about and far fetched enough to be good info! This would make a degree of sense - if you don't have a valid Nissan VIN as reported by a co-operating TCU response, then Nissan could say you have no need to access the NissanConnect system and this would be a way of freezing unwelcome visitors out.

For info, I was able to get into the system alright until I deleted my Leaf and then had trouble re-inserting it, so there is some sort of background stuff that must go on for things to work (no surprise there).

Still waiting to see if my Leaf's shiny new 3G TCU gets talking to NissanConnect somehow.

Cheers, Jim

So I just got off an online chat session with Nissan USA... a couple of interesting points highlighted below. However, in the end I had him set me up on the Owners Portal anyway and we'll see what happens. I'm going ahead with the upgrade anyway... might be money wasted, but one thing is for certain... and thats the 2g hardware seems to be useless now.

Joseph (09/02/2017, 14:47:58): Thank you for contacting Nissan LEAF Aftersales, my name is Joseph. How may I help you today?
Me (09/02/2017, 14:48:53): Hi, was just transferred to you... I have purchased a 2013 Leaf... I'm importing it into Canada. My TCU is being upgraded tomorrow to the new 3G version, but I need to make sure I am properly registered for it ... how do I do that?
Joseph (09/02/2017, 14:49:49): Are you trying to use CARWINGS ,and is this an american LEAF?
Me (09/02/2017, 14:50:19): I will be yes... Car is American, and arrives tomorrow, but is having the TCU update done in the US. Car will live in Canada...
Joseph (09/02/2017, 14:51:25): Unfortunately since the vehicle is from America it can only connect to American networks therefore CARWINGS will not work in Canada.
Me (09/02/2017, 14:52:23): It roams to Rogers here in Canada. I know others with imported American Leafs, no issues.... well, no issues until the 2G was switched off... but presumably will still roam to Rogers on 3G once upgraded?
Joseph (09/02/2017, 14:53:24): The 3G unit is only made for AT&T it will not Roam Rodgers.
Me (09/02/2017, 14:54:00): Oh really, so that is new with the 3G upgrade? No more roaming?
Joseph (09/02/2017, 14:55:05): This is not a new feature the 2G units should also have not have roaming for Rodgers either.
Me (09/02/2017, 14:56:09): Ok, so my VIN is being officially "exported" from the USA and imported into Canada... so it's now a Canadian vehicle. How do I get it into the Canadian Carwings systems then?
Joseph (09/02/2017, 14:58:20): You can't because it was manufactured for the US systems.

Joseph (09/02/2017, 14:59:04): You will have to make an american owners portal account but even then it is not guaranteed to work becuase you are in Canada.
Me (09/02/2017, 14:59:36): Ok, worth a try. I do have an American mailing address. Can I do that online or do you need to do it?
Joseph (09/02/2017, 15:00:01): You can do it online or I can help with it, whichever works for you.
Me (09/02/2017, 15:00:17): Might be best if you assist me. Do you need proof of ownership? Bill of Sale etc?
Joseph (09/02/2017, 15:00:32): I would be more than happy to assist you with this today. I see that you’ve already provided some of your information through our chat form for me. For documentation purposes and to better assist you, could you also provide me with your email, mailing address, phone number, and VIN?
Me (09/02/2017, 15:01:05): One moment, I'll put it together and paste it in here.
Joseph (09/02/2017, 15:01:15): Okay take your time.
Me (09/02/2017, 15:03:20): (Provided my details here...)
Joseph (09/02/2017, 15:04:06): Thank you very much Tyson give me one moment.
Joseph (09/02/2017, 15:10:59): Okay Tyson I created the account for you. Your username is your email and your password for right now is ******.
Me (09/02/2017, 15:11:16): Ok, great. I can see I've got an e-mail from the site already...
Joseph (09/02/2017, 15:11:27): Your password can be changed at any point.
Me (09/02/2017, 15:12:14): Ok, logged in. So now I just add my vehicle and all should be good? Would it be best to wait for the new 3g TCU to be installed before going further?
Joseph (09/02/2017, 15:12:29): Yes that is the best course of action.
Me (09/02/2017, 15:12:43): ok. Great, thanks for your help today.
Joseph (09/02/2017, 15:13:14): You are very welcome Tyson is there anything else i can help with?
Me (09/02/2017, 15:13:30): Not today thanks. We'll see about tomorrow :)
Joseph (09/02/2017, 15:13:51): You're welcome! In order to improve our live chat experience for every customer, you’ll receive a survey about your experience with me, as your live chat representative. I would appreciate you taking the time to complete it and add any comments you would like to share with us. If you would like to do so, please click on the End Chat button on the right hand side. Thank you again for chatting with Nissan and have a great day!

Tysoncooper, always interesting to hear what Nissan Connect Support people say.

They all pretty well said that roaming would never work in Canada on a US sourced Leaf. I assume it is what they are told in their training. I've also been told the new 3G TCU would not work in Canada, but then again, given the history, one can never know for sure. I am curious though, if these TCU's are locked to a specific cellular provider.

One thing though, I will never buy another leaf again given this who shmozzle with Nissan.

tysoncooper, I'm curious - after he added the account for you and you logged in, when you went to the Carwings tab on the site (https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/user/home), were you prompted to accept the EV agreements and, if so, were you able to accept them?

Back