Text messages about where I am

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LHN

Good morning,

New Leaf owner here (2019 SL+, arrived on Wednesday). My previous car was a Buick Envision and I had the "My Buick" app on my iPhone, which worked very well. I gather that the Nissan Connect app has some problems. I haven't even gotten it to connect yet, so that is a problem that I need to solve.

Anyway, with my Envision, I set it up so that text messages were sent to me and my husband whenever the car left the house, when I arrived/left work, or when my husband arrived/left his work. It was a nice feature and we got used to receiving these notices--helping with planning when to start dinner and things like that.

I somehow doubt that Nissan Connect has this functionality, but maybe I am wrong. Or, has anyone come up with something similar, perhaps using Apple Car Play?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions folks might have.

LHN said:
Good morning,

New Leaf owner here (2019 SL+, arrived on Wednesday). My previous car was a Buick Envision and I had the "My Buick" app on my iPhone, which worked very well. I gather that the Nissan Connect app has some problems. I haven't even gotten it to connect yet, so that is a problem that I need to solve.

Anyway, with my Envision, I set it up so that text messages were sent to me and my husband whenever the car left the house, when I arrived/left work, or when my husband arrived/left his work. It was a nice feature and we got used to receiving these notices--helping with planning when to start dinner and things like that.

I somehow doubt that Nissan Connect has this functionality, but maybe I am wrong. Or, has anyone come up with something similar, perhaps using Apple Car Play?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions folks might have.
The free version will not do that, but the paid version (which came with mine for free for 3 years), has all of that and more. "Nissan Connect EV" is the free version for the Leaf, but the same app also have the features from "Nissan Connect Services" if you pay for it, that can lock & unlock doors remotely, flash the lights or honk the horn location finder in a parking lot, valet alert, speed alert, curfew alert, boundary alert, etc.

knightmb said:
The free version will not do that, but the paid version (which came with mine for free for 3 years), has all of that and more. "Nissan Connect EV" is the free version for the Leaf, but the same app also have the features from "Nissan Connect Services" if you pay for it, that can lock & unlock doors remotely, flash the lights or honk the horn location finder in a parking lot, valet alert, speed alert, curfew alert, boundary alert, etc.

I just spoke to someone at Nissan Connect and she was very helpful. I have the Nissan Connect EV and Services app (on my phone and watch) and that is showing lots of options: climate control on and off; doors lock and unlock; lights, horn, valet alert, etc.

No mention of paying for anything.

However, the text message functionality does not exist.

Now that I am connected, I just received an email with all the details. My subscription expires on 7/21/2023 which I think must be the end of the 3 year subscription that the previous owner had. The message said that at that time, I will receive a notice with the an invitation to renew and info on the price.

So it looks like I am all set for the next 16 months!

LHN said:
Now that I am connected, I just received an email with all the details. My subscription expires on 7/21/2023 which I think must be the end of the 3 year subscription that the previous owner had. The message said that at that time, I will receive a notice with the an invitation to renew and info on the price.

So it looks like I am all set for the next 16 months!

I've never taken the time to use those extra services myself, so I don't know exactly what they can and can't do, but at least you have over a year of the bonus service to tinker with it. :D

LHN said:
I used to do the same with SmartThings and their geolocation feature: I had it send a text message to my wife when I (my phone) left work.

You can do the same with Life360.

If you're on an iPhone please check out Shortcuts and Automation tab. There are many things you can do with this powerful capability including geofencing based activation of many iPhone functions such as sending messages. I am sure Android world would have some thing similar too. If these native OS capabilities don't cut it please look at the App called IFTT (If this then that). Also capable of triggering actions based on many conditions including geofencing. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I do have an iPhone and I created a shortcut to send a text when I am leaving. Works fine but it requires two taps. Of course, I can do two taps, but the nice thing about the Envision feature was that it just happened automatically.

I'll check out the Automation tab.

Thanks,

LHN said:
Thanks. I do have an iPhone and I created a shortcut to send a text when I am leaving. Works fine but it requires two taps. Of course, I can do two taps, but the nice thing about the Envision feature was that it just happened automatically.

I'll check out the Automation tab.

Thanks,

Automation Tab / Create Personal Automation - Arrive or Leave options are based on location that you will set. It can be set to fire off automatically so no taps will be needed. Its really addictive once you start getting into it

Edit - Just updated phone to IOS 15.4 released today and noticed the following in one of the reviews :

"Shortcuts, users rejoice: iOS 15.4 and iPadOS 15.4 add support for running Personal Automations in the background without requiring a pesky banner notification. A new toggle lets you switch off notifications for Personal Automations"

This is great! We could already have automations run without any user interaction if so desired but there was a notification on the automation running and now you can eliminate that as well it seems.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Sounds like an Onstar thing to me. Never heard of anything remotely resembling geo tracking in a LEAF.

Good point, it probably was. I didn't pay for the full bells and whistles OnStar, but I did have a modest plan which ran the MyBuick app and let me remote start the car. That's how I set up the text alerts.

Back