TGIF: "You know you are a Leaf driver when..."

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgpcolorado said:
Volusiano said:
... you pay about $50 for your brand new vehicle registration for 5 years.
Hah! My new car registration fee was $759 and the second year was $530. However, the sting was reduced considerably by the $5400 state tax credit...

I saw one of your blue AZ license plates here recently on a Prius. Are Prii really eligible for the environmental plates? Is it a gas mileage thing?

Years ago, they allowed a total of 10,000 hybrids to get clean air plates to induce early sales. After the 10,000 mark was reached, new hybrids got regular plates. Recently (early last year, I think) they allowed hybrids which were originally eligible (Toyota Prius and Honda Accord or Civic, if I remember correctly) to apply for clean air plates to replace the ones that were no longer in use. Of course those sold out quickly so there are still a total of 10,000 even though some of them are on newer hybrids. The blue plates make a real difference in license fees--I paid more to renew my 2002 BMW motorcycle registration for one year last June (not including annual emissions test) than for five years for the LEAF (both came due in June). Registration fees in AZ are based on original MSRP reduced by a percentage each year. The clean air plate for the LEAF is about 10% of what a normal plate would cost each year.

To get back on topic: You know you are a LEAF driver when you try to be at the front of a lane (any lane) at traffic lights to take advantage of 100% torque at zero speed!

Gerry

EvaLeaf said:
Figured its time for some Friday fun.

How do you know you are a Leaf driver?

I'll start:

You know you are a Leaf driver when...you find yourself muttering "gas guzzler" under your breath as you pass a Prius on the freeway.

Or when your 10-year old screams and has a hissy fit because both EVs are being used and 'I'm not going in that stinky gas-guzzler! (referring to the Prius)

You know you're a Leaf driver when you jump in the car and put your foot on the brake and hit the start button in one smooth motion--and then realize you just shut the car off because it was already running and you didn't notice because it was so quiet.

TT

You know you're a Leaf driver when you're holding a hands free cell conversation and someone complains about that annoying clicking sound when you have the turn signal engaged.

... when your co-workers' discussion about gas prices is about as interesting to you as the average toenail length among the members of a random Amazon tribe.

You worry about all of the auto mechanics, quick lube and gas station attendants who will be displaced once your "little secret" gets out.

the people that you drive automatically points out to you another LEAF they just spotted in the wild... the habit is infectious :D .
We see at least 2 per day in our short driving range lately... the adoption clip has been MUCH quicker than for the original non-plug-in hybrid Prius in our "hood".

GerryAZ said:
dgpcolorado said:
Volusiano said:
... To get back on topic: You know you are a LEAF driver when you try to be at the front of a lane (any lane) at traffic lights to take advantage of 100% torque at zero speed!

Gerry
I am a mature , slightly past middle age conservative family man, so I can't believe I did this; a young guy in a BMW was weaving in and out of traffic and passed me aggressively on route 202. I later found myself next to him at a red light. I was going to turn left, but I decided to go straight so he could see my taillights and realize he is not so special. In heavy traffic, it took me 15 minutes to turn around and get back on course.

You know that you are a Leaf driver when you have memorized how far it is from your house to everywhere else.

My house to my parent's house in Fort Collins, CO: 40 miles
My house to my friend's house in Golden, CO: 25 miles
My house to Canopy Airport Parking at DIA (which has EVSE): 41 miles

...when, for the third year in a row, you're asked to bring your car to the local Earth Day event!
(for sure, downtown Fresno, CA, April 20th!)

You know you are a Leaf driver when...

Almost NEVER drive my ice car.

I walked up to my ICE car this weekend with groceries and actually got pissed (at it) that I had to dig my keys out of my pocket to open the door.
Then got in, sat down, and realized the keys were back in my pocket, and I was going to have to dig them out again!
Actually said out loud " Oh, come on....!"

(may have other ... non-leaf related issues now that I read this :roll: )

You know you're a Leaf driver when you take your wife's Prius on a trip and leave it idling in the parking lot for 6 days (i think i double tapped the button).

BTW, that uses 2/3 a tank of gas and not a good thing when the nearest gas station is 20 miles away.

ksnogas2112 said:
You know you're a Leaf driver when you take your wife's Prius on a trip and leave it idling in the parking lot for 6 days (i think i double tapped the button).

BTW, that uses 2/3 a tank of gas and not a good thing when the nearest gas station is 20 miles away.
a prius can't make a 20 mile trip on 1/3 of a tank of fuel?

You know you are a LEAF driver when, after traveling for several miles with a passenger you are showing the car, you pop open the hood and plant the palm of your hand on top of the rocker arm cover (or whatever that thing is) without being burned.

N1ghtrider said:
You know you are a LEAF driver when, after traveling for several miles with a passenger you are showing the car, you pop open the hood and plant the palm of your hand on top of the rocker arm cover (or whatever that thing is) without being burned.

Mine still has the clear plastic cover over it from the factory that I leave on there just to show people there is no heat!

Back