Thanks guys

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernie82

I decided to go plug in electric about 4 months ago. I checked out the Leaf, the Volt. and the plugin Prius. My first choice was the Volt but a Volt lease would have cost me about $75 a month more than the Leaf lease and I seldom drive more than 50 miles a day so I opted for a 2012 Leaf and leased it about 3 months ago. At first I was in love with the car, then I discovered this forum. Thanks guys, for all the help. I've learned so much. I want my Leaf to be set up right so this is what I did.
I was charging my Leaf with the 110 volt hookup and it satisfied my needs. Then I learned that charging the Leaf to 100% would decrease the Leaf's battery capacity so I charged to 80% and I was able to deal with it. Then I learned that even at 80% the Leaf battery capacity would be compromised. I also learned that letting the battery run down to VLW or even low warning could compromise battery capacity as well. Thanks to you guys I discovered the EVSE upgrade. Problem solved. I charge to to 70% now and the upgrade gets me back up and running within a couple of hours of charging should I need it. Thanks, Phil. $332
I was happy for a while but then I learned that the Leaf doesn't like 6 or more battery temperature bars and my Leaf always show 6 bars. What to do? I put an air conditioner in my garage that I run during the day and my Leaf now is happy and shows me 5 bars. Thanks guys. $1100
I was real happy with the pretty white seat covers in my white Leaf until a few members pointed out that they the Leaf upholstery is cheap and Nissan should have given the Leaf leather seats. What to do? I went down to an auto upholstery store and got a great deal on white leather and it sure wasn't cheap. Thanks guys. $1100
I was reading a post by a guy who was a car radio installer and he checked out the Leaf speaker system and found some screws missing. What to do? I rushed to a auto radio store and had them check out my speakers. All the screws were there and now I have peace of mind. Thanks guys. $50.
I thought I finally had my Leaf set up right until I learned that the SOC meter wasn't accurate and I needed something called a GID meter. Boy I'm glad I learned about that. With a GID meter I'll get to know how much capacity the battery is losing. Even though there's nothing I can do about the loss, it's important to learn the bad news. I found a guy on the forum that's selling a do it yourself Gid meter for about $200. He also sells one put together for $300 and I'm not stupid. I learned that when I wired my 240 dryer outlet with an extension that was compatible with the plug on the EVSE upgrade I near electrocuted myself so smart man that I am, I opted for the $300 all assembled Gid meter.
I recently learned that the electric heater in my 2012 Leaf puts a big drain on the battery and doesn't do a good job heating the car. What to do? I went to a sporting goods store and checked out a heavy duty wet suit. I told the salesman that I wanted to be comfortable even if the temperature got into the forties. He told me that the best suit he had would keep me warm until the temperature dropped below 50 degrees. What to do? He suggested buying two wet suits. He felt that would do the job. I haven't had a chance to use the wet suits yet but I'll let you guys know if they work as soon as the nights get cold here in northern Ca. Thanks guys. $400.
I wanna thank all you guys for the help. All it cost me was a little more than $3000 and my leaf and I are happy.

Wet suits? I suppose that would work but it seems extreme... :?

That one made me question whether the whole post is sarcastic or a joke of some sort? If not, ever heard of a jacket and a pair of long john's?

Heh heh, I chuckled when I got to the air conditioner in the garage...but the OP does seem like he read a lot on this forum tho...

GeekEV said:
Wet suits? I suppose that would work but it seems extreme... :?

That one made me question whether the whole post is sarcastic or a joke of some sort? If not, ever heard of a jacket and a pair of long john's?

One of the better satirical posts I have read in a while! Thanks! :lol:

bernie82 said:
I decided to go plug in electric about 4 months ago. I checked out the Leaf, the Volt. and the plugin Prius. My first choice was the Volt but a Volt lease would have cost me about $75 a month more than the Leaf lease and I seldom drive more than 50 miles a day so I opted for a 2012 Leaf and leased it about 3 months ago. At first I was in love with the car, then I discovered this forum. Thanks guys, for all the help. I've learned so much. I want my Leaf to be set up right so this is what I did.
I was charging my Leaf with the 110 volt hookup and it satisfied my needs. Then I learned that charging the Leaf to 100% would decrease the Leaf's battery capacity so I charged to 80% and I was able to deal with it. Then I learned that even at 80% the Leaf battery capacity would be compromised. I also learned that letting the battery run down to VLW or even low warning could compromise battery capacity as well. Thanks to you guys I discovered the EVSE upgrade. Problem solved. I charge to to 70% now and the upgrade gets me back up and running within a couple of hours of charging should I need it. Thanks, Phil. $332
I was happy for a while but then I learned that the Leaf doesn't like 6 or more battery temperature bars and my Leaf always show 6 bars. What to do? I put an air conditioner in my garage that I run during the day and my Leaf now is happy and shows me 5 bars. Thanks guys. $1100
I was real happy with the pretty white seat covers in my white Leaf until a few members pointed out that they the Leaf upholstery is cheap and Nissan should have given the Leaf leather seats. What to do? I went down to an auto upholstery store and got a great deal on white leather and it sure wasn't cheap. Thanks guys. $1100
I was reading a post by a guy who was a car radio installer and he checked out the Leaf speaker system and found some screws missing. What to do? I rushed to a auto radio store and had them check out my speakers. All the screws were there and now I have peace of mind. Thanks guys. $50.
I thought I finally had my Leaf set up right until I learned that the SOC meter wasn't accurate and I needed something called a GID meter. Boy I'm glad I learned about that. With a GID meter I'll get to know how much capacity the battery is losing. Even though there's nothing I can do about the loss, it's important to learn the bad news. I found a guy on the forum that's selling a do it yourself Gid meter for about $200. He also sells one put together for $300 and I'm not stupid. I learned that when I wired my 240 dryer outlet with an extension that was compatible with the plug on the EVSE upgrade I near electrocuted myself so smart man that I am, I opted for the $300 all assembled Gid meter.
I recently learned that the electric heater in my 2012 Leaf puts a big drain on the battery and doesn't do a good job heating the car. What to do? I went to a sporting goods store and checked out a heavy duty wet suit. I told the salesman that I wanted to be comfortable even if the temperature got into the forties. He told me that the best suit he had would keep me warm until the temperature dropped below 50 degrees. What to do? He suggested buying two wet suits. He felt that would do the job. I haven't had a chance to use the wet suits yet but I'll let you guys know if they work as soon as the nights get cold here in northern Ca. Thanks guys. $400.
I wanna thank all you guys for the help. All it cost me was a little more than $3000 and my leaf and I are happy.

$1100 for A/C in the garage? I want to park in your garage!!! I bought one of the portable, rolls on wheels, A/C units for a room in my house, and that was only about $500. Plugs into 120v. I think I could route a hose through the battery master disconnect port (between the fron and back seats, in the hump) that would do a pretty good job of cooling the battery.

But, for me, my lease car gets charged every time it's in the garage to 80%, and I don't care how hot it gets (in San Diego).

When this battery tanks, I'll just get another car.

I was thinking about going back to an ICE vehicle and filling up at the station once a week like I used to. Then someone suggested that that these pajamas would make that process easier.

Thanks guys!!

moose-caboose-2-500x500.jpg

Since he is leasing, there is not a single issue that he reported that he needs to be concerned about or react to.

I'd rate the post as a B+ for comical cynicism, but about a D- for applicable reality.

bernie82 said:
I like it! Thanks for the laugh!

But you clearly haven't been paying close enough attention! Here are some additional items you should consider:

- LEAFscan is coming! Please start saving an undisclosed amount of money to purchase this at an unknown future date. Even though you already own a GIDmeter, you will need a LEAFscan, too!
- If you are over 4'3" tall, you will need to install Teflon spacers under the front bolts of your driver's seat to support your thighs during the long drives you will be making in your LEAF.
- You need a spare tire and a jack! Either go to the dealer or eBay and get ones made for tha Altima, ASAP!
- Didn't you realize the the LEAF is a hazard to pedestrians? The noisemaker that Nissan designed at very high expense does not work, so you will need to install additional noisemakers to prevent injury to others!
- You really should purchase a Volt! We all need another vehicle that can be driven on longer trips to accompany our LEAFs, but an ICE or hybrid car is not an acceptable solution here! If you don't want to purchase a Volt, then the other option is a Tesla Model S with the big battery and hand-wound motor.

I'm sure I, too, have missed important expenditures that MUST be made for your LEAF. Perhaps others will help complete the shopping list...

Back