The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Learjet said:
100% charge right before a lot of driving...still dropping...

BIpcZgbl.png

0KP3YaDl.png

Post a shot when SOC is at 20% (or as low as you can get it)

Cell pair #1 is consistently low; the others are very well balanced. Two possibilities: weak cells or incorrect voltage measurement on that channel. Either one should eventually be covered under the 8-year, 100,000-mile battery warranty.

GerryAZ said:
Cell pair #1 is consistently low; the others are very well balanced. Two possibilities: weak cells or incorrect voltage measurement on that channel. Either one should eventually be covered under the 8-year, 100,000-mile battery warranty.

thanks for the feedback...doesn't seem to be hurting the range or general operation of the vehicle.

Learjet said:
GerryAZ said:

thanks for the feedback...doesn't seem to be hurting the range or general operation of the vehicle.

Key metric here is the older shot losing worse. A single shot means little but what needs to be done is monitoring. The first shot "should" be a bit lower because its lower SOC but if the cell is improving, that is a good thing. The 2nd shot, the low cell is still near 3.5 volts so that still means you have significant usable range. I would run LEAF Spy on a drive at low SOC that includes some highway driving and then check the logs to see how low that cell is going under load.

I have a "low" cell as well and its the same one from Day One but its only 35ish mV out at full charge but under load, the delta drops to the low 20's or even teens so this is something I am not worried about (w/o that one cell, my Delta would be high single digits to low teens)

Either way; as Gerry mentioned, basically too early to worry about it although its definitely out of sync with the rest of the pack but it will likely affect your ability to get max range from the pack. How much you lose? Hard to say until you get to or near Turtle range.

My Leaf is coming up on 2 years old now. So far, the drop in battery SOH has had little effect on the capacity or range yet. Still able to charge up to +56 kWh of capacity. I'll have to go back and look at my previous screen-shots to compare, but the range has remained about where it was earlier this year. So even though I'm close to a 8% drop in SOH over the past 2 years, range and performance has not suffered. :D

jOD862Z.jpg

V5Xavsd.jpg

I keep a record of the screen-shots for comparison and with multiple Leaf, helps me quickly figure out which vehicle I took the screen-shot for. I didn't start blurring them until I found out how easy it is to find the owner and address to the VIN number for whatever state the vehicle is registered in, so mainly for privacy reasons and nothing more. ;)

knightmb said:
I keep a record of the screen-shots for comparison and with multiple Leaf, helps me quickly figure out which vehicle I took the screen-shot for. I didn't start blurring them until I found out how easy it is to find the owner and address to the VIN number for whatever state the vehicle is registered in, so mainly for privacy reasons and nothing more. ;)

TRUE!!

Franklin TN and I got that by either

analyzing your VIN

or

Looking at your profile.

DaveinOlyWA said:
knightmb said:

TRUE!!

analyzing your VIN

or

Looking at your profile.
I'm fine with the city, just don't send me mail with "your warranty is about to expire, please renew at some unknown company for us" letters. :lol:

knightmb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
knightmb said:

TRUE!!

analyzing your VIN

or

Looking at your profile.
I'm fine with the city, just don't send me mail with "your warranty is about to expire, please renew at some unknown company for us" letters. :lol:

Oh, not sure you can avoid that. It was only a few years ago I finally stopped getting those for my 2010 Prius...

DaveinOlyWA said:
knightmb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
TRUE!!

analyzing your VIN

or

Looking at your profile.

Oh, not sure you can avoid that. It was only a few years ago I finally stopped getting those for my 2010 Prius...
I got those letters for my 2011 quite a while after it was totaled. I would have forwarded them to the other driver's insurance company if I had thought about it at the time.

IWhilst waiting for my 2022 SV+ to be delivered, I read all 98 pages of this thread and learned a lot but I’m still wondering…..

At what point of battery degradation is range affected?

I assume the BMS managed buffer allows the Leaf to maintain its EPA rated 215 miles of range for a significant period of time but I haven’t seen a graph that directly correlates SOH to range.

watchdoc said:
IWhilst waiting for my 2022 SV+ to be delivered, I read all 98 pages of this thread and learned a lot but I’m still wondering…..

At what point of battery degradation is range affected?

I assume the BMS managed buffer allows the Leaf to maintain its EPA rated 215 miles of range for a significant period of time but I haven’t seen a graph that directly correlates SOH to range.
It's my belief that the range is affected from day 1, based on the facts that battery capacity as measured by Leaf Spy (in GIDS) is continually decreasing. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the EPA range tests are conducted after a break-in period, so that some of the initial degradation (common to all EV batteries) gets factored in.

It's my belief that the range is affected from day 1, based on the facts that battery capacity as measured by Leaf Spy (in GIDS) is continually decreasing. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the EPA range tests are conducted after a break-in period, so that some of the initial degradation (common to all EV batteries) gets factored in.

You will also find on the Forum people listing the battery State Of Health as noted by LeafSpy as the cars age. In my case, LeafSpy now shows that my battery is at 94.4 % after almost 30K miles and 2 years plus. I don't know what LaefSpy would say about SOH when your car is brand new, let us know where you start. Also not really known yet about this 64 kWh battery is how the SOH curve goes- is it linear? or does it degrade faster as the battery ages and has lower overall capacity? TBD....

dmacarthur said:

You will also find on the Forum people listing the battery State Of Health as noted by LeafSpy as the cars age. In my case, LeafSpy now shows that my battery is at 94.4 % after almost 30K miles and 2 years plus. I don't know what LaefSpy would say about SOH when your car is brand new, let us know where you start. Also not really known yet about this 64 kWh battery is how the SOH curve goes- is it linear? or does it degrade faster as the battery ages and has lower overall capacity? TBD....

Ok, so your car is at 94.4% per leafspy at 30k miles. What is your current range when you fully charge the car?

Watchdoc,

You can see statistics from my quarterly full discharge tests by looking at my November 29, 2021 post. The battery still has 93% of its original energy storage capability after 27 months and 38,000 miles of use. The range estimated by the DTE (distance to empty, aka guess-o-meter) display varies a lot, depending upon recent driving conditions. Since the energy storage is 93% of original, range is 93% of original (assuming the same efficiency).

GerryAZ said:
Watchdoc,

You can see statistics from my quarterly full discharge tests by looking at my November 29, 2021 post. The battery still has 93% of its original energy storage capability after 27 months and 38,000 miles of use. The range estimated by the DTE (distance to empty, aka guess-o-meter) display varies a lot, depending upon recent driving conditions. Since the energy storage is 93% of original, range is 93% of original (assuming the same efficiency).

What is your opinion of the most accurate energy measurement? SOH, amp-hours, GIDs - any other measurement?

Back