The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2023 SV plus is now 92.9 SOH at 12160 miles. I’ve only done 6 QCs. The rest were all level 2s. It is garaged all of the time. Is my leaf degrading too fast?
I looked back at my records, at 13,000 miles My car was at 91.4% SOH...I would say you are normal. At 11,600 It was 92.25%

I have a 2023 leaf at 95% SOH at 16 mV. It does seem like it’s a little fast from storing it in the garage like you say and only level two chargers with only six QCs. It seems like it should be a bit higher and process I start it is my level two charger at my garage can takeA 20 up to a 50 amp breaker. I went with the lowest breaker I could. And I also do random trickle charges. Not sure if these help or have helped butIt seems to be working. Cheers

We had a 2020 LEAF SV with the standard 40kWh battery. At 10,400 miles, we were down to 93.08 SOH. We had a slow L2 -16 amp charger at Home that added exactly 10% battery capacity per hour of charging. We feel our LEAF's battery was compromised in Chehalis Washington. The Chademo Charger was updated to I believe 150 kWh. We plugged in the Car and got some things at Walmart. Came back around 15 minutes later and the whole inside of our LEAF smelled horrible. I had a Lithium Ion battery blow up in a Ryobi 18 volt battery pack and the smell was the same. I looked at the battery temperature gauge and it was into the Red. I believe in the 2 years we leased it, we did 17 Quick Charges and never over 70%. We didn't keep the LEAF after the lease as we felt the batteries were wounded. Bought out the lease and sold it to a Dealer Group.

I think, and others' data backs this up, that QC's on a 62kWh battery do not cause a noticeable degradation in SOH. I have done 24QCs with 4 at 70+kW (but only once per long drive). At ~19,000 miles my 2022 (Oct 21 build) just dropped under 95% at my most recent reading. @Rudynfld if your 2023 has 18000 or more miles on it the 95% SOH is probably where I'd expect it. If you have 9-12k miles I would say that's faster than I've seen posted on this forum for a 62kWh battery.

Pretty good drop from last time I checked Leafspy previous SOH at 33,664 miles 89.74%, this time at 36,849 miles 87.91%

As a reminder...The cells with the low voltage are from a module replacement at 21,000 miles, the cells balance at the bottom of the SOC level now. GOM acts normal and range is still normal...pressing on and waiting for a bar to drop on the battery capacity.

Also, before I get dinged on the full charge below...that was the first full charge in 1,400 miles, and yes I drove it right away and needed the range :)

2RXL0eLl.jpg

DBNPSsdl.jpg

Last edited:
Recorded on the two year anniversary of the car's build (March 2022). Right around the 94% SOH mark.

Did get the PDU replaced around 7 months of age after burning it up on a bad EVGo station.
1000007435.png

Hello Guys,
I have purchased my Leaf 60 kW (or 62 kw) Accenta version here in Europe, Hungary. I have just around 2200 km on my ODO, and SOH is 98.71%. Hx is around 85% measured at 100% SOC (first 100% charge with my charger). I try to follow 75% SOC usually each day, with a DOD of around 30-40% for daily 110-120 km trips, with some occasional longer distances. I charge with L2 charger at 220V, 10 amps.
Does anyone have information about the chemistry changes made in the 2023 edition, since I have read something about that. I know that the chemistry is NMC532, but not sure whether the anode is natural graphite (NG) or artificial graphite (AG), the latter being much better in terms of longevity. I am asking this since as far as I know Nissan authorized vehicle-to-grid mode without loosing the warranty, so this is why I suspect some chemistry change (but may be wrong).
Thanks

Last edited:
As usual, I like to post superstitious mileage and LeafSpy pictures. ;)
Yes, I need to clean my dashboard glass, the sun made that very apparent. :LOL:

KUkCleQ.png

74096pe.jpeg

What I notice that is somewhat anecdotal is that DCFC (340) seems to have had no effect on your SOH. I believe at 4 years of age, at almost 90k miles and only down 11% is pretty decent.

Last edited:
What I notice that is somewhat anecdotal is that DCFC (340) seems to have had no effect on your SOH. I believe at 4 years of age, at almost 90k miles and only down 11% is pretty decent.
I know it does technically, but I had a few simple rules I followed. I never QC above 80% SOC unless I'm on a road trip and need the extra range. I only charge to 100% SOC with L2 only (which is frequent) and only if I know I'm going to start using the battery within a couple of hours of 100% SOC (work related, trip related, etc.) Doing this helps keep the temperature bars from ever exceeding 100 F (37.7 C). I have run the battery into the red zone about a dozen times over the last 4 years during road trips, so I haven't been that nice to the battery. ;)

Decided to do a cell balance by charging up to 100% and then restarting the charge twice after the car had decided to stop charging. Saw my favorite lazy cell in the middle and drove the car down to lower SOC to see how it reacts, still seems to balance out when the car gets to lower charge levels.

2022 March build date
SV Plus

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240417-080915.png
    Screenshot_20240417-080915.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240423-100024.png
    Screenshot_20240423-100024.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 0
Decided to do a cell balance by charging up to 100% and then restarting the charge twice after the car had decided to stop charging. Saw my favorite lazy cell in the middle and drove the car down to lower SOC to see how it reacts, still seems to balance out when the car gets to lower charge levels.

2022 March build date
SV Plus
a you share screenshot at low SOC? sometimes, in 62 leaf battery, there cells that simply has higher resistence => they discharge faster then the others especially under load.
So a good analisys would add cell voltage at low SOC in quite and under heavy load mode (large accelerations to allow capture leafspy that sample every 3 or 5s)

I also have one cell that is low at full charge but get better as the battery discharges. It's off by 70-75mv at full charge but by the time I get down to 30% charge the difference is only 25-30mv. It's been this way for the entire time I've owned the car even when it was brand new. Nothing I've tried seems to make any difference. I'm sure that Nissan won't do anything about so I've decided to just live with it, After 36000 miles and two and a half years the battery is down about 7% from when it was new.

a you share screenshot at low SOC? sometimes, in 62 leaf battery, there cells that simply has higher resistence => they discharge faster then the others especially under load.
So a good analisys would add cell voltage at low SOC in quite and under heavy load mode (large accelerations to allow capture leafspy that sample every 3 or 5s)
I might be able to get a screenshot of a higher load condition and/or lower SOC. My normal driving patterns don't require a ton of energy so it will probably take a couple of days.

I also have one cell that is low at full charge but get better as the battery discharges. It's off by 70-75mv at full charge but by the time I get down to 30% charge the difference is only 25-30mv. It's been this way for the entire time I've owned the car even when it was brand new. Nothing I've tried seems to make any difference. I'm sure that Nissan won't do anything about so I've decided to just live with it, After 36000 miles and two and a half years the battery is down about 7% from when it was new.
Have you seen any adverse effects from that cell? I'm not really worried about it, but I thought it might be nice to document it.

Back