BillaBong said:Just thought I'd share my experience with Nissan's battery warranty.
My 2017 Nissan Leaf hit 8 bars recently, so I went to a dealership and applied for a replacement battery back in February of this year. They've allowed me to keep my car in the meantime, but it's been about 8 months and still no word on when a replacement battery will be available. I've called the dealership a couple times over the past several months to check on the status of the replacement, but they always just tell me that there are no battery shipments in sight, and that they have no idea when they'll be able to get me a replacement.
Eventually I got tired of waiting, so I called Nissan CA to inquire about a buyback. They called me back the very next day and said that they were going to decline to offer a buyback, citing that my car was not in bad enough condition to qualify for one or something, and that I should just continue waiting for a battery. I asked them if they knew when a battery would be available and they said they had no idea. I didn't bother arguing with them, and I instead just opened a case with BBB Auto Line. Hopefully this'll get resolved soon, 'cuz I'm tired of just waiting around. I'll post an update here if anything significant happens.
OMG, Nissan is driving me crazy. So in the previous case that I opened, I specifically inquired about a buyback, and Nissan explicitly declined to offer me one, stating that I should just continue to wait for my battery. I was kinda surprised by how quickly they blew me off, so I asked them to send me everything they said in writing, just in case I needed to pursue litigation in the future. So they sent me an email, and something they wrote didn't make sense to me, so I tried to call them back to ask them to clarify what they had written. The CA representative that I spoke to said that Arbitration would call me back soon (Spoiler Alert: they never did).
After a few weeks of not hearing from Nissan, I decided to open another case specifically to inquire about how much longer I would have to wait to receive a battery. The CA representative said that Nissan would probably be able to expedite the process for me, and that I would receive a call from someone soon. So a NEW arbitration specialist just called me today, and NOW they're saying that I'm not going to be receiving a battery and that they want to give me an offer to repurchase my vehicle. Are you freakin' kidding me??? So I explained to her that at this point, since the previous specialist explicitly told me that they were not going to offer me a buyback, that I had already spent a bunch of money on electrical work to have a level 2 charging station installed at my house. She said that she could factor that cost into the repurchase agreement, but I explained that the electrical work was very costly since it required a panel replacement, a service upgrade, and some tree trimming. She said that they wouldn't be able to consider any of those costs.
It's difficult to argue with Nissan if I don't even know how much the repurchase offer is, so I told them to go ahead and send me the dumb email so I can send them some documents and they can make me an offer. So I guess I'm gonna go take some pictures of my car now. I sure as heck ain't eating the cost of all that electrical work though, so I'm definitely still going to push for a new battery if their offer is anything less than phenomenal.
Oh BTW, my earlier post mentioned that I was opening a case with BBB Auto Line. Turns out my car is too old (2017) to qualify for their program. O well.
More on this story as it develops.