The CA-MiEV. Will they build it, and will it come here?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

Since the obituaries of the Mitsu BEV program now seem to have been premature, I thought it would be time to give the CA-MiEV its own thread.

I hope it gets built and sold in the USA, as Nissan's present dominance in the low-price high-volume BEV market is an undesirable situation, as market competition is required to accelerate improvements in any product, IMO.

I wish there could be many low-price high-volume BEVs introduced into the American market in the next few years.

But even just having two to choose from, would be much better than one.

Mitsubishi has recently pulled the wraps off one of its latest creations, the CA-MiEV Concept, ahead of the model’s official debut scheduled for the 2013 Geneva Motor Show.

According to the car manufacturer, the Mitsubishi CA-MiEV Concept is previewing a production version which will be the successor of the current i-MiEV. The Mitsubishi CA-MiEV is an all-electric vehicle with a 300 km range, which has a totally different design and, most importantly, looks significantly bigger than the current i-MiEV.

While full details aren’t yet available, Mitsubishi says the CA-MiEV will incorporates next-generation EV technologies under development at the company, such as high-energy density batteries and high-efficiency EV systems including motor, inverter, regenerative braking and wireless charging system...

http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/2013/03/mitsubishi-unveil-300-km-range-ca-miev.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carscoop has most of the same info, but also has a slide-show.

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/03/mitsubishi-ca-miev-concept-looks-like.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh said:
Very nice! :)

I especially like the "300 km range".

If it really gets that on the Japan test cycle, We should be talking about well over 100 miles EPA range, even at the "90%" charge standard.

For me, translated into only one ~20-30 minute DC stop, in order to make my 220-240 mile trip to the to San Francisco Bay area.

Assuming there is a DC on that section of the I-5 "Electric Highway", by the time I can trade in my LEAF for a CA-MiEV...

I had hoped the i-Miev would do better, because in general I would like to see more BEVs on the road. Unfortunately, I can't get too excited until it's more than a CONCEPT car :cry:

Stanton said:
I had hoped the i-Miev would do better, because in general I would like to see more BEVs on the road. Unfortunately, I can't get too excited until it's more than a CONCEPT car :cry:

Oh ye of little faith.

Every production car starts as a "concept".

Remember...

...The Nissan Leaf (also formatted "LEAF" as a backronym for Leading, Environmentally friendly, Affordable, Family car[7]) is a five-door hatchback electric car manufactured by Nissan and introduced in Japan and the United States in December 2010.

...The EV-11 prototype was on display July 26, 2009.[17] A week later, on August 2, 2009, Nissan unveiled its production version at its Yokohama headquarters and committed to begin retail sales in both the North American market and Japan at end of 2010.[20][21]...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Leaf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

battery is 1.75 times more capacity than i-miev (28 kWh vs 16 kWh)
serious improvement in aerodynamics CD improves from .35 to .26
upped the motor to 80kW (from 49kW)
and wireless charging

so similar to Honda Fit EV with about 50% more range. still a city car, but an alternative to i3

They really need to find a name that is more pronounceable, though. I mean, i-Miev was bad enough, then they changed to just plain "i" which is really confusing because it gets mixed up with the pronoun "I". How does one even pronounce "Ca-Miev?"

Really, really need to find a better name.

GetOffYourGas said:
Ditto. First time, I thought "only available California".

Oh, I thought they were putting CA on like companies add HD to products to make them sound cool, although with all the compliance cars your notion makes more sense.

Back