The colors suck.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are (almost) 3 shades of gray offered: :)
1. Silver is a "nice" alternative to a medium-light grey, and the
2. Black ... is a rather dark gray, while the
3. White is ... the lightest gray.

Here is the Red color

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/drive-on/2010/09/16/2011NissanLeafx-wide-community.jpg

malloryk said:
it's gorge!! I can't wait. But that lettering on the side is an option right? Or is that standard on all the cars?

It is gorgeous Mallory, and if I weren't in AZ, I would choose that color. That may be the decal they use for the ECO package. The one that comes on all of them is much smaller and I think it says, "zero emission" which should be "zero emissions", but the Japanese do not have plurals. If I decide to keep the car, I'm going to have an 's' added...LOL. :)

leaffan said:
malloryk said:
it's gorge!! I can't wait. But that lettering on the side is an option right? Or is that standard on all the cars?

It is gorgeous Mallory, and if I weren't in AZ, I would choose that color. That may be the decal they use for the ECO package. The one that comes on all of them is much smaller and I think it says, "zero emission" which should be "zero emissions", but the Japanese do not have plurals. If I decide to keep the car, I'm going to have an 's' added...LOL. :)

I might do that too since I'm a proofreader and can't be driving around with improper grammar on my car! :) Although I do not like the idea of anything written on my car. I don't like a lot of stuff or explicit statements being made with my car. I might look into how much it would cost to remove or cover that type.

leaffan said:
The one that comes on all of them is much smaller and I think it says, "zero emission" which should be "zero emissions", but the Japanese do not have plurals. If I decide to keep the car, I'm going to have an 's' added...LOL. :)

First, the notion that "the Japanese do not have plurals" is wrong. Japanese ofcourse have the concept of plurals which is expressed without modifying (inflecting) the noun like we do in English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflections#Inflection_in_various_languages

Modern English is considered a weakly inflected language, since its nouns have only vestiges of inflection (plurals, the pronouns), and its regular verbs have only four forms...

Second, zero emission, is correct if used as an adjective ("zero emission vehicle") rather than a noun. I think we had this discussion earlier ...

leaffan said:
GeorgeParrott said:
I would have loved an "emerald green" option, but went with the Glacier Pearl, since we are already getting the Chevy Volt in red....

George Parrott
W. Sacramento, CA.

Have you seen the Glacier Pearl yet George? It definitely isn't white. I have a photo of a Glacier Pearl LEAF on my desktop, but I don't know how to copy it and put it on here. I loved it though when I saw the color on a Murano.
Ok I uploaded the picture of the Glacier Pearl

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4376/leafwhite31.jpg
leafwhite31.jpg

evnow said:
leaffan said:
The one that comes on all of them is much smaller and I think it says, "zero emission" which should be "zero emissions", but the Japanese do not have plurals. If I decide to keep the car, I'm going to have an 's' added...LOL. :)

First, the notion that "the Japanese do not have plurals" is wrong. Japanese ofcourse have the concept of plurals which is expressed without modifying (inflecting) the noun like we do in English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflections#Inflection_in_various_languages

Modern English is considered a weakly inflected language, since its nouns have only vestiges of inflection (plurals, the pronouns), and its regular verbs have only four forms...

Second, zero emission, is correct if used as an adjective ("zero emission vehicle") rather than a noun. I think we had this discussion earlier ...

I don't know where you are getting your info, but you are mistaken. There are no plural words in Japanese. I know this for a fact. Also, they put "zero emission" on the car. This is incorrect English, but correct for Japanese. They didn't put "zero emission vehicle" which would be correct English. You will never win this one...lol...I know Japanese. ;) Here's an example: Japanese say, " I have two spoon." We say, "I have two spoons." It works for EVERY noun, no plurals!

leaffan said:
I don't know where you are getting your info, but you are mistaken. There are no plural words in Japanese.

I guess you are not into linguistics. As I said they don't inflect nouns to represent plural nouns - not the same as "the Japanese languige lacks the ability to represent plurals". Remember languages have different mechanisms to represent various ideas ...

This is the first link I got when I searched "plurals in japanese".

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Japanese-Language-1797/Singular-Plural-Object-People-1.htm

evnow said:
leaffan said:
I don't know where you are getting your info, but you are mistaken. There are no plural words in Japanese.

I guess you are not into linguistics. As I said they don't inflect nouns to represent plural nouns - not the same as "the Japanese languige lacks the ability to represent plurals". Remember languages have different mechanisms to represent various ideas ...

This is the first link I got when I searched "plurals in japanese".

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Japanese-Language-1797/Singular-Plural-Object-People-1.htm

Inu is dog in Japanese, but they don't say inus to mean 2 or more. So, if they see two dogs, they would say, "Nihiki no inu." So even though it means two dogs, they don't use the plural noun. They just use a number plus some unit like with 'Nihiki'. It's very complicated to understand 'counting' words in Japanese because it depends on what kind of noun follows the number.

leaffan said:
Inu is dog in Japanese, but they don't say inus to mean 2 or more. So, if they see two dogs, they would say, "Nihiki no inu." So even though it means two dogs, they don't use the plural noun. They just use a number plus some unit like with 'Nihiki'. It's very complicated to understand 'counting' words in Japanese because it depends on what kind of noun follows the number.

Thats right. This is what we mean when we say nouns are not inflected to represent plurals. Indo-Eurpoean lanuages are highly inflected - esp. older languages like Greek or Sanskrit. For eg. Sanskrit has special word endings to denote a count of "2" - something all IE languages had at one time, but no longer do. Even old English had a lot of inflexions to denote a large number of ideas - but most of it has gone off now, yet we convey the same meaning though context.

So, it is not that Japanese don't have plurals, they just don't represent plurals by adding "s" to the nouns. There are hundreds of languages which use the same method.

evnow said:
leaffan said:

Thats right. This is what we mean when we say nouns are not inflected to represent plurals. Indo-Eurpoean lanuages are highly inflected - esp. older languages like Greek or Sanskrit. For eg. Sanskrit has special word endings to denote a count of "2" - something all IE languages had at one time, but no longer do. Even old English had a lot of inflexions to denote a large number of ideas - but most of it has gone off now, yet we convey the same meaning though context.

So, it is not that Japanese don't have plurals, they just don't represent plurals by adding "s" to the nouns. There are hundreds of languages which use the same method.

My point was that "zero emission" on the side of the car is incorrect English, but that is how the Japanese would say and write it in English. Since I'm a grammarian, I don't want to be driving around with incorrect English on my car. If other people don't mind that, that's ok. :)

smkettner said:
When would the word "emission" be singular? I am certainly not a language person.

It is singular when you use it as an adjective instead of a noun, such as: The exhaust emission study was done on the Volt recently. But when you say, "The LEAF is a zero emission vehicle", that is incorrect. Emission here is still a noun and it should be 'emissions' anyway to be grammatically correct. In fact, zero-emissions vehicle is usually hyphenated and this form is used by CARB. However, you could say, "We have two zero-emission vehicles." Now, it is used as an adjective again.

leaffan said:
But when you say, "The LEAF is a zero emission vehicle", that is incorrect. ... However, you could say, "We have two zero-emission vehicles."

They look similar to me. Afterall when one speaks, you don't hear the hyphen ....

Back