The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got a Leaf this past weekend after pondering it for the past year or two, '21 SV w/tech package.

MSRP was $38,775 and dealer discount + Nissan $7500 cash brought it down to about $30K, and I will be $22.5K +TTL after the tax credit. The right amount of haggling/shopping might have gotten me a bit further, but selling my 9 year old trusty eco box for almost $9K (almost $4K more than what my local dealer offered) had me feeling pretty good. Taxes in my state are before rebates so that hurt a bit, closer to $25.5K OTD with the assumption the tax credit goes through correctly.

Picked up some WeatherTech mats and trunk liner, and have ceramic tint scheduled for this weekend. Long wait for backordered EVSE, but using the Nissan mobile charger which seems fine for now (plan to leave that in the car once wall EVSE gets here). Car seems like it will be great for my family's use of relatively local driving!

byrdman77 said:
. . . Long wait for backordered EVSE, . . .
What are you getting? Based on personal experience, I recommend a United Chargers of Canada GRIZZL-E; I've been very satisfied with mine.

BTW, use trivial "size" tags (the "Normal" drop-down) in mid-word, to keep words from being turned into links. Click the "quote" button on this post to see a couple of examples.

hbquikcomjamesl said:
byrdman77 said:
. . . Long wait for backordered EVSE, . . .
What are you getting? Based on personal experience, I recommend a United Chargers of Canada GRIZZL-E; I've been very satisfied with mine.

BTW, use trivial "size" tags (the "Normal" drop-down) in mid-word, to keep words from being turned into links. Click the "quote" button on this post to see a couple of examples.

I am getting a Chargepoint Flex, and not to be a moron but how am I supposed to know where I need to put the trivial size tags? Like which words require it vs those that do not? (Okay, I think I figured this out by previewing the post but if there's more to it can let me know.)

My attempt at posting a picture (doesn't look like it is working, ugh):

h1RreR7

byrdman77 said:
Finally got a Leaf this past weekend after pondering it for the past year or two, '21 SV w/tech package.

MSRP was $38,775 and dealer discount + Nissan $7500 cash brought it down to about $30K, and I will be $22.5K +TTL after the tax credit. The right amount of haggling/shopping might have gotten me a bit further, but selling my 9 year old trusty eco box for almost $9K (almost $4K more than what my local dealer offered) had me feeling pretty good. Taxes in my state are before rebates so that hurt a bit, closer to $25.5K OTD with the assumption the tax credit goes through correctly.

Picked up some WeatherTech mats and trunk liner, and have ceramic tint scheduled for this weekend. Long wait for backordered EVSE, but using the Nissan mobile charger which seems fine for now (plan to leave that in the car once wall EVSE gets here). Car seems like it will be great for my family's use of relatively local driving!

No assumptions needed for tax credit. It is taken from your tax liability and cannot be rolled over or provided as a rebate. As long as you have at least $7500 in tax liability, you get it all back. If you don't, then you will get only 100% of your tax liability back.

DaveinOlyWA said:
No assumptions needed for tax credit. It is taken from your tax liability and cannot be rolled over or provided as a rebate. As long as you have at least $7500 in tax liability, you get it all back. If you don't, then you will get only 100% of your tax liability back.

To clarify, I understand it will go through correctly on the government side. Hopefully quicker than this year, where my return has been held up for over two months but alas. The assumption is really that I still have my job throughout the year, or at least the end of the year. I don't foresee any issues with this, but having been through a couple layoff rounds during peak COVID times I can't say with 100% certainty as half the year won't get me to the $7500 tax liability.

One option our dealer offered us was a short Lease. Basically a 1 day or 1 month lease which let's the dealership get the 7500 from the government (and hopefully pass it in to you). It does shop up on Your credit as a loan, even if briefly, but it solves the tax burden issue. There are often a couple hundred in administrative stuff, so you might not do quite as well, but pretty close.

byrdman77 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

To clarify, I understand it will go through correctly on the government side. Hopefully quicker than this year, where my return has been held up for over two months but alas. The assumption is really that I still have my job throughout the year, or at least the end of the year. I don't foresee any issues with this, but having been through a couple layoff rounds during peak COVID times I can't say with 100% certainty as half the year won't get me to the $7500 tax liability.

In the past when I had to come up with a little tax liability, I just converted a chunk of 401 k to Roth. Have done it once and ended up leasing so it was a bit of a bill to pay but it worked. Was going to do the same again this year but its looking like I am buying out my S plus lease this time around.

You can use the preview button to see if the Board software is creating unwanted links before your post goes live, and conversely, if you see unwanted links after your post goes live, all you have to do is edit it.

As you can see from quoting my previous post, you put a "size" tag around part of the word with the unwanted link, so that it divides whatever is being linked, and manually change the number to 100 to make it trivial.

Pictures, I'm afraid, have to be hosted externally (unless maybe you might get internal picture hosting with a paid subscription).

Never heard of a Chargepoint Flex before (and I see right there that you figured out how to inhibit unwanted links). A bit more expensive than the Grizzl-E (mine set me back $419 + $35 cross-border transaction fee, but I think they may have gone up), and maybe not as flexible (separate cable hook is standard on the Grizzl-E, and I got mine with an extra-long charging cable), but the Chargepoint model should serve your needs well.

Enjoy your new Leaf. I think you'll find it to be a remarkable ride.

Around 2008, I went and saw the Leaf prototype that Nissan was bringing around the country. I got on the waiting list right when it opened, but passed one year until the 2013 model. I leased a 2013 for about 3 and a half years and really liked it. Because of the Las Vegas heat, in those 3.5 years my range went from about 95 miles to about 65.

I had been interested in buying a 2018 Chevy Bolt for under $20k, but nobody will sell you one because they can light on fire at night and kill your children.

Since the 2020 and 2021 models are identical, I wanted to get a 2020 with a few miles on it. I got a SV plus with the tech package because I didn't really want the leather seats or the subwoofer.

Buying from a dealership 250 miles away and in another state has gone really well. They shipped the car to me for $250, I checked it out, and then just FedExed them the paperwork and a check.

Since the 2020 and 2021 models are identical,

Actually, there are differences. The 2020, is, IMO, better than the 2021, which has a "de-tuned" accelerator pedal. I have to drive in D to get any pleasure from driving mine, whereas I always drove in Eco from the time I leased my first Leaf in 2013 until I got the '21.

OsirisOfThisSh said:
Around 2008, I went and saw the Leaf prototype that Nissan was bringing around the country. I got on the waiting list right when it opened, but passed one year until the 2013 model. I leased a 2013 for about 3 and a half years and really liked it. Because of the Las Vegas heat, in those 3.5 years my range went from about 95 miles to about 65.

I had been interested in buying a 2018 Chevy Bolt for under $20k, but nobody will sell you one because they can light on fire at night and kill your children.

Since the 2020 and 2021 models are identical, I wanted to get a 2020 with a few miles on it. I got a SV plus with the tech package because I didn't really want the leather seats or the subwoofer.

Buying from a dealership 250 miles away and in another state has gone really well. They shipped the car to me for $250, I checked it out, and then just FedExed them the paperwork and a check.
Congratulations. What dealer discount and Nissan rebate did you get?

OsirisOfThisSh said:

The changes in 2021 is the reason I have gotten off the lease train and will buy out my 2019 S Plus. Not worth the extra money required to get the basic wants on my list (climate package n/a on 2021 S Plus) There is also a considerable change in power mapping to the accelerator.

And that LEAF you saw? That was 2010 and as a reminder; The LEAF came from nowhere. It was a complete surprise. New Years Day 2010, the LEAF was a complete unknown. Within months, the excitement among the early interest group was crazy

So few people know that movie anymore. I forced kids to watch it, and it was lesser known Julie Andrew's musicals of the era with Sound of Music and Mary Poppins. Good film though.

With Anthony Rizzo and Javier Baez traded from the Cubs we are looking for new car names for our 2 Pluses. (Formerly Tony and Javy)

Maybe we should use Rasberry and Just Swell in the same theme.

I haven't seen the movie, either, but I recall seeing a live stage production, either Runaway Stage in Sacramento, or 42nd Street Moon, in San Francisco. So it's not my usual habit of alluding to movies I've never seen ("The first rule of edible printing is you don't run anything but edible ink in that printer. The second rule of edible printing is you do not run anything but edible ink in that printer. And you still don't talk about Fight Club.")

Picked up my 2021 Leaf SV + yesterday (traded our 18 SV). Three hours of torture, dealer didn’t seem to “get” that I owned a Leaf, just buying a larger battery. He tried to sell me on lojack, they install the device on all their inventory, astounded when I showed him “where’s my Leaf” on the Nissan Connect App. Wouldn’t remove it, but gave it to me. Any hints on how to rip it out? Disappointed I missed the 7500 discount by a day, but happy to have the larger battery in a very big state.

donaldus said:
Disappointed I missed the 7500 discount by a day, but happy to have the larger battery in a very big state.
Wait, you didn't get any Nissan cash on a 2021 model? How much did you end up paying before tax?

Back