The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my 2014 Leaf SL had 430 miles on it. Paid $16,500 Here is a pic of it charging at the mall on the way home.
IMG_0543.JPG

RonDawg said:
Dealer demo? Otherwise I'm curious why a year old car would have such super low mileage.

Yes it was a demo to show the various dealers the model to see if they wanted to stock it. Bought it from a Chrysler dealership. Was titled to Nissan previously. Came with every option and all the accessories were in the trunk still in the plastic bags. Mats, roadside kit, first aid kit.

I am still in pleasant shock from the purchase my husband and I made over Labor Day weekend - a brand new 2015 Leaf (blue, S trim with Quick Charge) for $11,500 (after all rebates/tax credits) + tax/reg fees, so OTD for $14,500 at 0% interest while we wait for the California rebate ($2500) and federal tax credit. Nissan had $5,000 off for financing (at 0%?!), and the dealer had $5500 off for Labor Day. We went in to look at leasing, and when this price was mentioned I said, "are you sure?" As soon as the salesperson confirmed I took off my poker face and said to my husband, "Honey, we need to buy this car."

I love driving this car and like so many others I am tickled that I will never take it to the gas station or Jiffy Lube.

In the middle of the deal I texted some friends and coworkers and one coworker went in and got the same deal (though he had to work harder). Another coworker is headed in this Friday with the print out to see if he can get the same deal.

Is this deal as good as we think? I think my friends are sick of hearing me talk about it!

Thanks to everyone who has already contributed to the forums - I've learned a lot.

Yeah, that's amazing. I paid $500 more last week at SF Nissan, and I thought that was an amazing deal (another dealer told me I was crazy for making such a low offer, but SF Nissan accepted without haggling). EDIT: Here are my details from that thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=434935#p434935

That's an incredible deal Otterj. Your overall Out of Pocket cost is almost that of a lease, except you'll still have a car when those payments are over with.

Otter - I went through the same amazement of how much car you can get for the money right now with a 2015 Leaf. I bought my SV in Dublin, CA with a similar dealer discount, but since I am in the San Joaquin Valley I also receive a $3,000 local rebate. As others have said, it is like leasing, but you keep the car at the end!

Nissan appears to be caught in a compliance car pickle with the 2015 Leaf right now. They have to move the inventory to get ready for the similar MSRP 2016 that has extended range. I don't think we will see a deal like this for any make or model in a long time. Although, when the 30,000+ 2014 Leafs come off lease in 2016/2017 the auto auctions will be overwhelmed with returned cars that will have little appeal and marketability, especially so if the Tesla mass market vehicle is close to commercial scale and production.

I agree, it is only a bit more than leasing for three years and we will still have a car! Knowing we will own it for at least six years makes the decision to install a 220 circuit and ESVE a lot easier. Plus, and this is a huge plus in my world, we don't have to constantly bug the kids about smudging/scratching our leased car. I have a second friend visiting the dealer as we speak - he brought in the first friend's paperwork to see if he can get the same deal.

We bought a used 2013 SL with premium package on Friday. It had 14,870 miles on it and is dark grey. Supply of used leafs in the area seems to be striking. When I started searching a few weeks ago there were 25 cars in a 250 mile radius. As of right now there are 14. This was the only SL with premium in that area.

The price was $12,995 out the door from the dealer but we were out of state so we still owe 6.25% ($800ish) in Illinois taxes.

We got lucky and the EVSE provided with it was one that had been upgraded.

If anyone is interested in our adventure of driving the car home from St Loius to Peoria IL (about 170 miles) on historic route 66 I posted about it in the newbie forum: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20530&start=20#p436682

Here we are at the dealer:
gtleaf.jpg

Greetings y'all,

Been looking at a second-gen RAV4 EV for about a year now, and in doing my due diligence and looking at competing EVs. Just under a month ago, I (impulse) pulled the trigger on a deal I couldn't pass up:

- 2011 Silver SL
- 2011.06 Production date
- 2012.08.11 In-service date ( _JUST_ out of 3/36 BtB) w/ 1400 miles (Demo car?)
- 18,388 miles
- Central Florida car
- 10 bars capacity at time of purchase
- Well maintained, exceptionally clean throughout

All for $7500, or roughly a quarter of what I'd pay for a RAV4 EV with similar(ish) miles and maybe a MY or two newer. Figure it'll be my EV training wheels (no pun) til I find the right Toyesla.

Had it shipped to Anderson, SC and trailered it home the last 100 miles.

AF1QipNr_DvLrAWfBxi0_AfnnO2KFwZBFhPWlEOFoBs7

I've primarily been trickle charging overnight at the house, and L2 (3.3KW) for 2-4 hrs (for free!) at work after lunch.

Yesterday, I performed my first successful CHAdeMO fast charge!

PxhTGFh8qi1nF5H9A

This morning, coincidentally (or not, depending on whom you ask), I wake up to one fewer bars than I'm used to seeing:

Wh9A4Cs4ZefxLiji9

Need to call to verify that the prev owner didn't opt out of the class-action suit, and take it in for the annual battery check, and cross my fingers that in the next few months, I drop that last bar (OBDII dongle is on the way).

Anyway, see you all around, can't say as I've noticed (m)any NC/SC folks on here yet!

I am 52 years old and live in oil country (TX)... I just bought a 2012 Leaf for $11,000 with 12,450 miles... Never thought I would buy an EV.. So far, loving the car...Everyone wants to ride.. I work from home and do just very short trips around town and trips to DFW Airport. DFW Airport Valet will charge the car while I am gone for their regular valet price so this is just perfect for me.

Ironically, my wife does bookkeeping for a chain of oil change franchises in the area. Can't wait to go get a quote on an oil and filter change with an employee discount.. :)

My 21 year old son loves the fact that I am driving something that respects the environment and my six year old just thinks it's cool... :)

j75035 said:
I am 52 years old and live in oil country (TX)... I just bought a 2012 Leaf for $11,000 with 12,450 miles... Never thought I would buy an EV.. So far, loving the car...Everyone wants to ride.. I work from home and do just very short trips around town and trips to DFW Airport. DFW Airport Valet will charge the car while I am gone for their regular valet price so this is just perfect for me.

Ironically, my wife does bookkeeping for a chain of oil change franchises in the area. Can't wait to go get a quote on an oil and filter change with an employee discount.. :)

My 21 year old son loves the fact that I am driving something that respects the environment and my six year old just thinks it's cool... :)

Congrats! Keep an eye on your bars - if it was a Texas car, you may end up with a replacement battery in the next or so. Also, be sure and visit the Nissan mothership in Freeport - lot's of Chargers just north of the airport.

We are picking up our 2015 with 12k miles. $18k. SL, prem. pkg, pearl paint. They didn't come down at all from the online price, but the price was $1700 under the KBB price point. And it was the exact car we wanted. They only had it for a week, and anything beyond an S is hard to find! The dealer tossed in a few small options I wanted (cargo net, rear bumper guard, 15k service, which I think had already been done?). We were happy, and didn't want to lose the car to another buyer.
But looking at these prices, I took one last stab. I sent an email to every N GA dealer, stating we found a 2015 SL w/PP, for $18k, in Alabama. And I would buy it tomorrow if they could match the price. (our car sits 140 miles away. See 'road trip'. The trip sounded like an adventure, at first. Now, it seems like a drag, waiting for 2 recharges, 90 min total? I'd rather buy local). I didn't mention that it was used. I didn't think anyone would have the car we wanted, or a price match. I was right, but a few wrote back saying the numbers didn't match up. They would be losing $6000 - and no dealer would do that! (except the 2015's are mostly used cars, at this point).
So for those who found a better deal, lucky you! They are out there. But we spent 3 weeks researching and looking. And that time is a currency of its own. It was time to buy something! One dealer I talked to came down to $21k, new, on the car we were getting, without the spl paint or mileage. He thought the other car was a good deal, and should grab it. So we did!
Happy hunting!

I bought a 2013 Leaf SV a couple months ago with 10k miles for about $10k purchase price. All bars are present and has been a great car. One of my favorite things would be the Bose system as I think it sounds very good.

Why I purchased the car:
I leased a 2014 Lexus IS 250F which is a very nice car. Problem is that I used to drive a ton so I ate up over half my mileage for my entire lease in about 6 months (27 month lease). I have no intention of buying this car out after lease and don't want to pay a premium for the mileage on return. After some calculation I found that I could finance a Leaf and the savings on gas would pay the payment every month. Since I got the Leaf I've only driven the Lexus twice because of time/distance.

Current driving habits:
I drive over 400 miles a week with my Leaf with 75% of it being highway. I live around Nashville and meet with clients very often. There are quite a few Nissan dealerships with QC and I also have the Nissan Corporate building close to my work. They have about 20 L2 chargers and 3 QC available which makes charging in town very convenient! There are other stores that offer free L2 chargers as well so it's been surprisingly convenient so far. I can typically pull into somewhere to charge and get on wifi from the car to do work on my laptop while waiting for a charge. The other thing I find convenient is that I can charge overnight at my house and never have to stop for gas. I would say 1-2 out the 5 weekdays I may have to stop for a little charge to make it home.

It's been quite the change from whipping in and out of traffic in the Lexus compared to driving in the far right lane typically under the speed limit on the highway. I enjoy the car and find it more comfortable and economical than the Lexus.

The end goal is to buy a Tesla Model S eventually but not quite ready for that yet. Loving the Leaf and recommend it to many people.

So come September 30th, I'll potentially be the delighted owner of one of these two leafs.

The first:
2013 SL
Metallic Slate/Black Int
20K miles
Camera/Bose

2013 SL
Glacier White/Black Int
15K miles
Camera/Bose

All WA owned vehicles coming off of lease. Will found out next Wed if I won them at auction.

Have you factored the $7500 federal tax credit on the new $21k car?

jjdoe said:
We are picking up our 2015 with 12k miles. $18k. SL, prem. pkg, pearl paint. They didn't come down at all from the online price, but the price was $1700 under the KBB price point. And it was the exact car we wanted. They only had it for a week, and anything beyond an S is hard to find! The dealer tossed in a few small options I wanted (cargo net, rear bumper guard, 15k service, which I think had already been done?). We were happy, and didn't want to lose the car to another buyer.
But looking at these prices, I took one last stab. I sent an email to every N GA dealer, stating we found a 2015 SL w/PP, for $18k, in Alabama. And I would buy it tomorrow if they could match the price. (our car sits 140 miles away. See 'road trip'. The trip sounded like an adventure, at first. Now, it seems like a drag, waiting for 2 recharges, 90 min total? I'd rather buy local). I didn't mention that it was used. I didn't think anyone would have the car we wanted, or a price match. I was right, but a few wrote back saying the numbers didn't match up. They would be losing $6000 - and no dealer would do that! (except the 2015's are mostly used cars, at this point).
So for those who found a better deal, lucky you! They are out there. But we spent 3 weeks researching and looking. And that time is a currency of its own. It was time to buy something! One dealer I talked to came down to $21k, new, on the car we were getting, without the spl paint or mileage. He thought the other car was a good deal, and should grab it. So we did!
Happy hunting!

PrimeRisk said:
We took delivery of our 2015 Leaf SL on Friday, April 24th and have loved our first week with it. I took delivery of a JuiceBox Pro this afternoon and have all of the parts ready to install a 50A 220v circuit to the garage.

The dealers are offering really good deals around Denver right now. You can drive an S off of the lot with the 6.6kW charger package for $24,999. With the fed and Colorado rebates you drive away with a $11,499 car!

I am in Colorado Springs and this is exactly what I am looking at right now. But the state rebate should come out to about $3,500 considering the dealer and Nissan and federal rebates that you have to subtract to compute the state rebate (if you read the state rebate rules carefully). So an offer I'm looking at is about 25k drive-out before the federal and state rebates which world make the car about 14k (25k - 7500 - 3500). Are you sure you were computing the state rebate correctly? You have to subtract all the customer available rebates while computing the state rebate, which for these Colorado deals is quite a bit:

32000 msrp
- 4889 dealer rebate
- 5000 Nissan rebate for financing with them
- 7500 federal rebate
Equals 14611
Multiplied by 24kwh / 100 = 3506 state rebate

martyh1 said:
Are you sure you were computing the state rebate correctly? You have to subtract all the customer available rebates while computing the state rebate, which for these Colorado deals is quite a bit:

32000 msrp
- 4889 dealer rebate
- 5000 Nissan rebate for financing with them
- 7500 federal rebate
Equals 14611
Multiplied by 24kwh / 100 = 3506 state rebate
I'm not a Colorado resident, but I've seen many other posters emphasize the fact that the $7500 Federal incentive is NOT a rebate, but a tax credit. Colorado's precise definition of "rebate" would be important here.

Back