The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there! I will be picking up my leased Leaf on Wednesday! This forum was great for researching the ins and outs, and I ended up getting a decent deal on a 2012. I am in the Atlanta area.

Looking forward to reading more and very excited about my Leaf!

Chickp, congratulations!

You may want to consider joining the EV Club of the South. Our next monthly meeting is this Wednesday, 01/16/13, at Manuel's Tavern @ 6pm.

I got my Leaf on December 29th in Madison WI, 85 miles from my home. I gave my local Nissan dealership, that is 4 miles away, an opportunity to sell me one, but they didn't have any. So being as though they would have to find one, trade something for it and get it here, there was not any incentive to give me a decent price on a leasing it. I ended up saving about a grand on a two year lease by jumping through some hoops with regards to getting it home from Madison.

I drove the first 48 miles the day of journey after signing paperwork and taking possession to my extended "pit stop" at a friends house in Waupan. I pulled into his garage with 22 miles left of the GOM. Temperature were in the lower 20's, defrost cycled on when needed, otherwise off, seat and steering wheel heaters on. The next morning I picked it up and did the final journey home.

I got my EVSE upgrade today, changed out to the correct female plug in the shop, and I'm set up for 'normal' charging. I thought long (Okay, not really) and hard about not getting the upgrade, but was able to talk myself into it. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to use all the miles available on my lease without being able to quick charge sometimes.

I had a heart attack when I filled up my (empty) pickup and put stabil in the tank. I will likely not have to do it again for a very long time. :D

Love, love (LOVE) the vehicle so far, every day is a new experiment.

Hello all!

Took delivery of my 2012 Leaf SL on Jan 14th. Leasing for 2 yrs, 12k mi/yr.

Have put about 150 miles so far and still exploring things in the car! My typical driving ranges from 10-30 mi a day, with a 55 mi (round trip) trip one day each week.

I bought a Siemens VersiCharge - it arrived today. Waiting for electrician to run 220 v line to garage; hopefully in a day or two. I thought about investing in EVSE Upgrade, but thought if I put that money towards a charging station that I don't have to return at the end of my lease, I can potentially use it for any other BEV/EREV I may get in the future.

At this point, my thought is I'll return the Leaf at the end of lease and possibly get another BEV/EREV - will see how it goes.

One of the justifications to get a Leaf was the wife could use it for her 42 miles RT commute + 5-10 mi quick shopping stop or lunch outside or something else on the way. However, given where we live (NH) and how the wife always likes it toasty, and given there is no charging option at her work (at least, not yet), doubt if it'll work out for her during colder months. So, I get to use the new toy!

This forum has been very helpful in my purchase decision - all the technical details, and last but not least - the pricing info.!

Cheers!

Venk25,

Welcome to Mynissanleaf forum and congratulations on your new Leaf. Leasing for two years is a very smart choice and I am sure you would have got a great deal compared to mine of $450 per month and no money down, just about a 10 months ago.. :(-.

I am guessing 42 miles should be easily doable even in cold days with heat blasting, but other forum members in the NE area should be able to confirm. Of course during summer you should be able to get 70 miles plus easily.

This forum is GREAT place to get a lot of information and there are some very good technical folks here you would be amazed. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Welcome to the EV world and you would soon discover all the ICE vehicles are so 19th century, even the so called luxury ones. There is a saying: Once an EV'er, always an EV'er. I betcha your next EV will be a Tesla. I am hoping mine would be.

Post a picture here.. without a picture it didn't happen.

Jay

Thanks Jay!

I hope I got a good deal ... http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1067&p=260062#p260062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In my wife's 42 mi RT commute + 10 misc miles - I missed to state that about 40 miles of it is highway. And, my wife does close to 70 MPH, just to keep up with the traffic. So, that will have an impact as well, especially in winter. I may do a dry run once myself to see how it pans out before giving it to the wife. But, the more I delay, the more I get to play with the toy!! :lol: Summer - yes, like you said, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Will post a pic when I click some!

A few things on charging and battery care which you may have discovered already reading through many topics in this forum:

Don't hesitate to charge to 100% and run it down to zero bars/LBW. As long as you follow the general rule of not keeping the battery stay at 100% for more than a few hours. Similarly, getting it down to LBW everyday is not an issue as long as you plug it in right back.

I still believe 50 miles with 40 of those in freeways should be doable with heat on, but try to keep at 65 mph.

I myself am planning for a 70 mile round trip commute everyday starting next week.

Have had my 2012 SL for a little over two weeks and 800 miles. So far so good. I use it three days a week for an 84 mile round trip. 90% of that is on the highway. Although I do charge at work (right now L1) I think I could make the round trip on a single charge. As I have been figuring out the best strategy to drive on the highway I have noticed I am a much calmer driver now. I hit the highway, get in the right lane and stick to no more than 60mph. It is amazing how much less stressful my drive is now! I am able to fully charge each day. The best thing has been that I am able to drive this EV everyday and not have any range anxiety at all. Now if I could just find a nice small EV truck (like Toyota Tacoma) I would be set.

Hello everybody, I bought a new '12 Leaf SL last week after 3 or 4 months of shopping! Super excited to be driving a pure EV :D. Car will share duty with my '09 MINI Clubman JCW.

I really wanted a Cayenne Red but got a great lease deal on a Blue Ocean so I just went with it. I bought it in Woodbridge, VA (DC-metro area) and met the salesman in Fredericksburg. Drove it home 45-50 miles from Fredericksburg along Route 1. It was dark, cold, and rainy the night I picked it up, so I took it real easy on the way down to Richmond.

My employer has L2 charging stations (FREE until 2/1!) in one of the parking decks which is awesome. I've charged the car at work almost everyday even though my commute is only 16 miles RT. Charging with the standard L1 charger at home.

So far, the car has been great although the weather has been crappy all week with rain everyday and sleet/snow late Thursday and early Friday. Have had to use defroster, wipers, lights, etc. Tried to use the CC system as little as possible. Drives so smooth and effortless.

Got my black 2012 Leaf on the 14th of January 2013 and already drove it from Port Townsend Washington to Portland Oregon on the West Coast Electric Highway. We had 4 adults and a 60 pound Airdale aboard in geographicaly low temps 28-30 F. Made it with realative ease in about 40 extra minutes than it took me in my Volt last week. Awesom car!

Reddy said:
Excellent! 100+ miles to Tumwater DCQC. Where did you stop for L2?
From downtown Seattle (coleman ferry dock, we stayed at my folks place on Bainbridge Is) Tumwater is only 62.8 miles. The most impressive leg was on the return trip we skipped Castle Rock, taking a 100% charge in Richfield and traveling at 62 mph 71.9 miles ariving with 7 miles of range. If I try to get to Tumwater from Port Townsend the distance is exatly 100 miles but at lower speeds Max 60 average 45 I believe in the winter that route would require level 2 in Shelton Wa on 101.

mkjayakumar said:
A few things on charging and battery care which you may have discovered already reading through many topics in this forum:

Don't hesitate to charge to 100% and run it down to zero bars/LBW. As long as you follow the general rule of not keeping the battery stay at 100% for more than a few hours. Similarly, getting it down to LBW everyday is not an issue as long as you plug it in right back.

I still believe 50 miles with 40 of those in freeways should be doable with heat on, but try to keep at 65 mph.

I myself am planning for a 70 mile round trip commute everyday starting next week.

My 68mi RT commute from Nothern VA to Southern MD has slight elevation change, most of the trip is 45mph with about 5miles in each direction of 65mph hwy. The fall I was able to make it there and home with no issues, however the winter commute was much harsh, even with L2's along my route to and from work, it was not as beneficial to drive my long commute in the LEAF for this winter, when the spring comes, Ill be back on the LEAF...hopefully if the wife gives it back. If I was able to use the 110/120V at work and if there was one available, The winter commute would be no issue,

Hows your current 70mile commute?

Picked up a 2012 Black SL friday for my wife to join my black C-MAX. I didn't like seeing 17 mpg in her Santa FE so I was thinking about a C-MAX energi for her because most of her drives are short but I didn't really, well okay she didn't want two big payments like that. I would have rather purchased than leased so I don't have to worry about every little scratch or ding. I wasn't looking at the Leaf because of concerns about the battery but I saw what people were getting on leases on the Leaf so I took a look. The deal was too good to pass up. $199 per month for 24 months, 15,000 miles per year and zero out of pocket including the dealer covering the first payment. The drive home from the dealer was 39 miles all freeway and it wasn't quite fully charged. We live in SE Wisconsin and it was cold. I was never really worried about getting home(we had 2 bars when we got there) but we did leave the heat off most of the way(and when we did turn it on I didn't think it was working because it took so long to get warm. Who would have thought they would use an electric heater to warm up liquid first in an electric car). Even with seat warmers and the steering wheel warmer we were really cold when we got home. Once your feet get cold it's tough to get warm again.

She has already yelled at me about the Leaf. I had been talking to her about trying to get better mileage out of her Santa Fe. With the Leaf I started talking to her about miles per kwh. I won't be bringing it up again, at least not for a while.

rkk said:
She has already yelled at me about the Leaf. I had been talking to her about trying to get better mileage out of her Santa Fe. With the Leaf I started talking to her about miles per kwh. I won't be bringing it up again, at least not for a while.

It sounds like it will be you who will be driving the new Leaf and she'll be driving the C-Max instead if her old Santa Fe is no longer around.

Back