The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rkk said:
but we did leave the heat off most of the way(and when we did turn it on I didn't think it was working because it took so long to get warm. Who would have thought they would use an electric heater to warm up liquid first in an electric car). Even with seat warmers and the steering wheel warmer we were really cold when we got home. Once your feet get cold it's tough to get warm again.
If you need to, you could try the heater mentioned at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=262180#p262180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as a lower power use foot warmer, for the times you want instant heat or need the range, in addition to using the heated seats and steering wheel.

RonDawg said:
rkk said:
She has already yelled at me about the Leaf. I had been talking to her about trying to get better mileage out of her Santa Fe. With the Leaf I started talking to her about miles per kwh. I won't be bringing it up again, at least not for a while.

It sounds like it will be you who will be driving the new Leaf and she'll be driving the C-Max instead if her old Santa Fe is no longer around.
LOL!

rkk said:
She has already yelled at me about the Leaf. I had been talking to her about trying to get better mileage out of her Santa Fe. With the Leaf I started talking to her about miles per kwh. I won't be bringing it up again, at least not for a while.

Been there, done that, I understand the "Bickering" I drive my LEAF and avg 4.4-4.7mi/kWh, Wife is around 2.2-3.0. In the Pathfinder, I avg 17.5 combined, 13.2 her. Its all about adjusting, when gas is a factor, they pay more, when the EV is a factor...they cant "joy ride" as far. Thick headedness :twisted: is usually the issue, But i love being able to go 75-80miles on a saturday ;) in the LEAF and if she can barely go 60 without charging. :roll:

Congrats on the new car. Over time they start to adjust to the cars limitations and range.

rkk said:
Picked up a 2012 Black SL friday for my wife to join my black C-MAX. I didn't like seeing 17 mpg in her Santa FE so I was thinking about a C-MAX energi for her because most of her drives are short but I didn't really, well okay she didn't want two big payments like that. I would have rather purchased than leased so I don't have to worry about every little scratch or ding. I wasn't looking at the Leaf because of concerns about the battery but I saw what people were getting on leases on the Leaf so I took a look. The deal was too good to pass up. $199 per month for 24 months, 15,000 miles per year and zero out of pocket including the dealer covering the first payment. The drive home from the dealer was 39 miles all freeway and it wasn't quite fully charged. We live in SE Wisconsin and it was cold. I was never really worried about getting home(we had 2 bars when we got there) but we did leave the heat off most of the way(and when we did turn it on I didn't think it was working because it took so long to get warm. Who would have thought they would use an electric heater to warm up liquid first in an electric car). Even with seat warmers and the steering wheel warmer we were really cold when we got home. Once your feet get cold it's tough to get warm again.

In cold weather, I go online and pre-heat the car about 20 minutes before I leave in it. It gets nice and toasty warm and has no trouble keeping it warm.

Our Silver 2012 SL was just dropped off at the house! I've been lurking for awhile, read a lot of great information on this board while we were deciding on a purchase. My wife and I both work at the same university, and have only a 3 mile commute each way, so range won't be much of an issue for us. :)

The weather here today is about worst-case scenario for range, it's 0F and windy out, so we won't be driving a ton today. We leased it from Lithia Nissan of Ames, Iowa, but we live in Cedar Falls, Iowa, which is a bit too far to drive it in the winter, so the dealership delivered it on a flatbed to our house. It wasn't fully charged, so won't be driving it around much tonight, but looking forward to doing it after the weather warms up a bit.

Psyclonus said:
Our Silver 2012 SL was just dropped off at the house! I've been lurking for awhile, read a lot of great information on this board while we were deciding on a purchase. My wife and I both work at the same university, and have only a 3 mile commute each way, so range won't be much of an issue for us. :)

The weather here today is about worst-case scenario for range, it's 0F and windy out, so we won't be driving a ton today. We leased it from Lithia Nissan of Ames, Iowa, but we live in Cedar Falls, Iowa, which is a bit too far to drive it in the winter, so the dealership delivered it on a flatbed to our house. It wasn't fully charged, so won't be driving it around much tonight, but looking forward to doing it after the weather warms up a bit.

Congrats!

After one month, finally had a chance to wash and Zaino my leaf!

2012 SL. 8 miles on it when I got it! 1200 miles currently.

leaf_zps26f515b5.jpg

stanigu said:

leaf_zps26f515b5.jpg

She's a beaut! Nice color choice. How are you going to cope with the white seats? I hear they are tough to maintain.
bob

Leased our 2012 Black leaf sv for 215/mo with about $2700 down. We've had it a week and it has really changed my relationships with cars! No tailpipe!
We're charging it with our solar panels at home here in Boulder CO. I saw a white one plowing through the snow today!
Our leaf is perfect for the town driving we do.

rkk said:
but we did leave the heat off most of the way(and when we did turn it on I didn't think it was working because it took so long to get warm. Who would have thought they would use an electric heater to warm up liquid first in an electric car). Even with seat warmers and the steering wheel warmer we were really cold when we got home. Once your feet get cold it's tough to get warm again.

In the LEAF, the driver and passenger foot vents take fresh, outside air as you drive even if the climate control is off; the only solutions during cold weather would be to activate the recirculation mode (which closes off the vents to the outside even with the CC off), or use a small rag in each foot vent to block it and avoid the cold air chilling out your feet.

When it is cold, beside preheating, we start with a higher temperature and gradually decrease it to use as much of the residual heat in the system as possible; then, we turn it off to keep the heat in. That is why covering the foot vents is important for me.

bobsfreeleaf said:
stanigu said:

leaf_zps26f515b5.jpg

She's a beaut! Nice color choice. How are you going to cope with the white seats? I hear they are tough to maintain.
bob

I hope they'll hold up. I'm usually the only one in the car, so hopefully they'll stay reasonably clean...so far, so good.

bob

I hope they'll hold up. I'm usually the only one in the car, so hopefully they'll stay reasonably clean...so far, so good.

When I first got mine, I sprayed them with Scotch Guard. I have cleaned them once and re-sprayed them. Seats still look new.

Actually, mine is now 2 years and 30,000 miles old and I have done nothing special to the seats at all. They still look great. So, I don't think they are as much of an issue as first thought...

Leafboy said:
bob

When I first got mine, I sprayed them with Scotch Guard. I have cleaned them once and re-sprayed them. Seats still look new.

That's a good idea. I'll give it a try on my black cloth., at least in the back where the rugrats roam. Thx, Bob

Some random thoughts as I approach the end of my 1st week of Leaf ownership....

Good thing I've been following this forum so I had low cold-weather range expectations... 1st day of driving the high temp was like 18 degrees F. Hasn't been above freezing all week. Been driving like a geezer, preheating, little or no heat, Eco... Maybe 50 mile range. Reminds me of my youth: 68 VW Beetle, no heat, foggy windows, limited range (I never had more than a couple bucks for gas.)

Never EVER thought I would lease. This car is like a cell phone: 3 year commitment, use it a lot/day and the battery dies, will probably be outdated before long. Plus, the lease payment isn't much more than the family cell bill!

But I love it. I love not burning petroleum. Compared to my crusty 13-year-old Jetta TDI, it's a breath of fresh air.

I can't wait to see how far it goes when the temperature cracks 50!

Leaf Cost of Ownership Work (This is my personal scenario more or less) There is a column for lease and one for purchase. Under the purchase scenario, amortization of the vehicle is set for 10 years. Excell file available to those who like accounting. If there is a way to upload excel to this website, that would be even better. Thx, Bob

http://s1282.beta.photobucket.com/u...rt=3&o=1&_suid=136171825423102052295592651362

http://s1282.beta.photobucket.com/user/bobalou22/media/leafcost2_zps1f4eaead.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

My friend got this deal yesterday, from Nissan McKinney, TX:

Model : S
Options included: QC, 6.6kW charger, backup camera
Term: 24 months
Lease payment: $175 per month
Down: $2K
T&T: nothing.

Picked up my 2012 Black SL this Saturday in Fargo, ND. I have to say this car is great. The cold weather does cut your range but a city of only 10 miles from end to end this is no problem. I bought since I couldn't resist the extra Dealer Cash & Tax Incentive ($5000) more then a lease. I am leaf number 3 in Fargo and my buddy bought there other one and the first one was ordered before the dealer could sell them. I think it's a matter of time before electric takes off. I just need to get buts in the seat. Took my banker for a cruise and he was amazed, maybe he will park his truck and drive a leaf some day :).

Back