There will be 2 Leaf models by the end of 2012.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ht2

I picked up this link from Japanese 2CH Leaf forum.
There will be 2 Leaf models by the end of 2012 for Japanese market.
It is in Japanese so please translate using your browser.
http://www.sankeibiz.jp/business/news/120815/bsa1208150500000-n1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First model is extended max range from 200km to 250km by improving efficiency of battery and motor. Nissan made this model mainly for request from US market.
Second model is using smaller battery (reduced range) model but priced 2500 000yen after tax incentive from current 3000 000yen.

Seems this is scoop and not official announcement so take it with a grain of salt.

So if they are offering a model with more range, and a model with reduced range, what happens to the model they are making now?

ht2 said:
First model is extended max range from 200km to 250km by improving efficiency of battery and motor. Nissan made this model mainly for request from US market.
For the metrically ignorant, that works out to 124mi - 155mi. That would be nice!

GeekEV said:
For the metrically ignorant, that works out to 124mi - 155mi. That would be nice!
Or in the real world (for all but the hypermilers and feather feet) an increase from 73 mile range to 91 mile range. Definite improvement, hope this does come to pass (and that new battery chemistry becomes available that is heat resistant).

Mine translated into,

...improving the efficiency of motors and aims to improve the performance of lithium-ion batteries installed, aiming to exceed the 250 km range.

A more efficient battery/motor does not mean greater capacity. This makes me think the lesser range model keeps the electric heater and current motor and the more efficient model gets a new motor and heat pump.

But obviously its speculation.

I also heard the new packs are going to have integrated Koozie technology for heat protection. It's the new nano-koozie phosphate chemistry they will be using. (NKP)

EVDRIVER said:
I also heard the new packs are going to have integrated Koozie technology for heat protection. It's the new nano-koozie phosphate chemistry they will be using. (NKP)

Koozie? Is that like what I stick my beer can into?

torgazm said:
EVDRIVER said:

Koozie? Is that like what I stick my beer can into?

I am SO not going there.... :roll: :lol:

ht2 said:
25% improvement would be a useful mid-cycle improvement. That takes Leaf from 73 miles to 90 miles.

EricBayArea said:
Mine translated into,

...improving the efficiency of motors and aims to improve the performance of lithium-ion batteries installed, aiming to exceed the 250 km range.

A more efficient battery/motor does not mean greater capacity..

But it doesn't say greater capacity. It says greater range. More efficiency would do this.

The motor and inverter are already highly efficient. I don't think there is all that much to be gained there.

I find the whole story a little suspect... I guess we'll know for sure in 2014...

ztanos said:
It says greater range. More efficiency would do this.

ht2 said:
I picked up this link from Japanese 2CH Leaf forum.
There will be 2 Leaf models by the end of 2012 for Japanese market.
It is in Japanese so please translate using your browser.
http://www.sankeibiz.jp/business/news/120815/bsa1208150500000-n1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Second model is using smaller battery (reduced range) model but priced 2500 000yen after tax incentive from current 3000 000yen.

Seems this is scoop and not official announcement so take it with a grain of salt.
I wonder if it's a change in the gear ratio (higher) to the reduction gear.

TomT said:
The motor and inverter are already highly efficient. I don't think there is all that much to be gained there.
Yep. Would be tough to get more efficiency from the battery to the wheels, but probably wouldn't be that hard to make the charger more efficient, but that won't help range.

That said - the motor isn't all that efficient at light loads and low speeds - but to significantly improve that they'd have to engineer some nearly revolutionary improvements. Even a 2-speed transmission might only improve efficiency by 10%.

I would love to be surprised!

TomT said:
I find the whole story a little suspect... I guess we'll know for sure in 2014...
Don't have to wait that long - the story claims end of 2012 which means model year 2013.

ENIAC said:
I wonder if it's a change in the gear ratio (higher) to the reduction gear.
Changing the rear ratio will only move higher efficiency to different speeds - primarily higher speeds. See the graph in the link above.

Sounds like it's mean I could use AC on a day like today instead of preying I can make it up to Silver Spring, MD and back home after work like I have to now. I'm definitely looking forward to a 6.6kW charger.

Back