There will be 2 Leaf models by the end of 2012.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
bernie82 said:
I read that the 2013 Leaf will have a 660 kilowatt charger. Will the 660 kilowatt charger increase the speed of L2 charging from 7 hours to 4.5 hours?

that would be 6.6 killowatt charger and yes it will double the charging speed from the current models

Is it supposed to cut the 120v charge time in half as well?

ztanos said:

No, same speed on 12 amp / 120 volts. The same is true if you do the EVSEupgrade.com modification for current 2011-2012 LEAF's. By the way, the 6.6kW charge will be OPTIONAL only in 2013.

Also, even with the EVSEupgrade mod to the Nissan/Panasonic "charger", even the 6.6 charger will only operate at at 3.3kW or less. You will need a home "charger" (EVSE) that can handle 30/32 amps at 240 volts for 6.6kW charger at home.

grommet said:
ztanos said:
Is that a joke? If it wasn't, that would be "no"... unless the battery has half as much capacity. ;)

I didn't think it did. I thought I had remembered reading on here that it didn't. But sorry, not that read up on my electrical engineering. Most people will probably assume that a charger that is twice as fast would be... oh... I don't know... twice as fast. So sorry for the obvious question.

TonyWilliams said:
ztanos said:

No, same speed on 12 amp / 120 volts. The same is true if you do the EVSEupgrade.com modification for current 2011-2012 LEAF's. By the way, the 6.6kW charge will be OPTIONAL only in 2013.

Also, even with the EVSEupgrade mod to the Nissan/Panasonic "charger", even the 6.6 charger will only operate at at 3.3kW or less. You will need a home "charger" (EVSE) that can handle 30/32 amps at 240 volts for 6.6kW charger at home.

Thanks for answering my question Tony.

You are saying that it wouldn't be worth it to get the "upgrade" on the 2013 as I would have to get the EVSE in order to get the benefits anyhow.

Most public EVSEs support 6.6 kW L2 charging, and so does my Blink home EVSE.

The LEAF's portable EVSE only supports L1 120V trickle charging, or 3.3 kW L2 240V charging (after the EVSEupgrade).

grommet said:
ztanos said:
Is that a joke? If it wasn't, that would be "no"... unless the battery has half as much capacity. ;)
Actually a fair question. The MINI E tzero Reductive charger can charge at 12, 32, and 50 amps on 120 volts. I charged at 32 amps at 120 volts at an RV park, and it cut the time in half. Could a Nissan version of Renault's Chameleon charger do this?

KeiJidosha said:
grommet said:
ztanos said:
Actually a fair question. The MINI E tzero Reductive charger can charge at 12, 32, and 50 amps on 120 volts. I charged at 32 amps at 120 volts at an RV park, and it cut the time in half. Could a Nissan version of Renault's Chameleon charger do this?
I'm surprised you didn't trip the breaker, as RV park 120V circuits are nominally 20A or 30A.

KeiJidosha said:
Actually a fair question. The MINI E tzero Reductive charger can charge at 12, 32, and 50 amps on 120 volts. I charged at 32 amps at 120 volts at an RV park, and it cut the time in half.
Most homes don't have more than 20A 120V circuits, so the Mini E would still be limited to charging at 12A at home, right? Only if you can find 32 or 50A 120V circuits somewhere, like at RV parks, can you take advantage of the 32 or 50A capability.

ztanos said:
Thanks for answering my question Tony.

You are saying that it wouldn't be worth it to get the "upgrade" on the 2013 as I would have to get the EVSE in order to get the benefits anyhow.

Quite the opposite. If you plan to do ANY charging during the day away from home, the I encourage you to get the charger that can get you 24 miles per hour of charging. Virtually any public EVSE can provide this.

If you only plan to charge at home overnight, you don't need it.

LTLFTcomposite said:
TonyWilliams said:
The S would have no Nav.
Like I was going to get lost in a 30 mile radius from home. Oh wait, I have navigation on my phone anyway.
And no cruise control IIRC. I find cruise very convenient so that would be a big minus for me. I guess it depends on the price differential and if the range increase on the (presumed) higher-priced model is real. Could just be smoke and mirrors; wouldn't be the first time.

GRA said:
I'm surprised you didn't trip the breaker, as RV park 120V circuits are nominally 20A or 30A.
Actually, drawing 32A on a 30A breaker will run for several hours, at least, before tripping the breaker. Circuit breakers are designed to mimic the heating in the (properly sized) connected wires. A slight overload will take a long time to trip the breaker. (See http://ecmweb.com/content/serve-and-protect)

You pretty much need a short circuit to instantly trip a breaker.

DoxyLover said:
GRA said:
Actually, drawing 32A on a 30A breaker will run for several hours, at least, before tripping the breaker. Circuit breakers are designed to mimic the heating in the (properly sized) connected wires. A slight overload will take a long time to trip the breaker. (See http://ecmweb.com/content/serve-and-protect)

Unless the NEC has changed considerably, continuous use is considered 3 hours or more, and the circuit is supposed to be de-rated to 80% of max., i.e. 24A on a 30A nominal circuit. I find it hard to believe that a 30A breaker wouldn't trip at 32A for anything other than a fairly short charge.

I'm very excited about this news. To me it means innovation. Nissan is pushing forward with their lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide cathode batteries that they said initially wouldn't be available until 2015. http://gas2.org/2009/12/01/with-new-battery-nissan-plans-to-double-ev-range-by-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see innovation also in the aggressiveness to mass manufacturer and drive down prices. And thanks for better quality interior, AKA leather, improved styling, and improved efficient heater.

Hooray for clean air in the cities!!! :)

DoxyLover said:
GRA said:

nope...done this many times before. you might get 20 minutes on the first time. after that its the law of diminishing returns

Back