Things that should and should not be automatic..

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to item #3. I just got my car back from it's one year review and asked the same question.
The answer was the Auto lock / unlock can be changed individually by the following steps.
a. Close all doors
b. turn ON car
c. inside of 20 seconds, press and hold LOCK or UNLOCK button for more than 5 seconds
Hazard lights will flash to confirm the change has toggled on or off
d. turn car OFF
e. turn car back ON.

This is from Service Bulletin NTB11-090 Oct 3, 2011

I just changed the unlock behavior and it is better but still incomplete.
Next, i want the level to open the driver's door even if it is locked.

The car already has a battery warmer. Why can't I turn it on manually, when plugged in, to warm it up and extend range. I think it would take several hours for the battery to cool and you can't run the car for much more than an hour to 90 minutes in cold weather. By then you'd be back to a charge station.

I agree, allowing prewarming of the battery during CC prewarming would be ideal. We should be able to charge to 80-90% the night before and prewarm/top off the battery with preconditioning the cab toward the end. this way the battery would hold maximum charge and allow maximum discharge.

and yes, the Climate Control needs to allow full manual mode. Until the car comes with a heat pump and a much larger battery, we need to be able to conserve range and maximize comfort and function and no computer is as good as the individual at splitting those hairs.

brent said:
The car already has a battery warmer. Why can't I turn it on manually, when plugged in, to warm it up and extend range. I think it would take several hours for the battery to cool and you can't run the car for much more than an hour to 90 minutes in cold weather. By then you'd be back to a charge station.

My guess is the the battery pack would take a pretty big whallup of juice to heat it up so it might need some priority setting.
Charge first priority ... after 80% start the battery warmer or something like that ... and I said manually, I really mean timer / manual control. I think Bill Gates had a hand in the software. Please don't try to guess everything I want the car to do in advnace and then lock me out of the decision loop.

Love the handle ... GaslessinSeattle.

thanks! It might not take as much to warm the battery as you think if the the battery is being charged at the same time. the last 20% of charging has added resistance and thus creates some heat of it's own. Until I can actually see the battery temp I won't know for sure, but so far, if the battery is cold soaked to say 35 degrees, 4 bars, I can, with a good prewarm raise the temp to 5 bars and it apparently takes on more charge. Since I'm preheating at the same time, I'm not able to isolate how much of the juice is going to the climate control vs charging and to add mud to the water, it appears that prewarming also allows some amount of safe "overcharging" of the battery. Additional charging can not be measured easily. the prefered way to measure charge on this board seems to be to measure how much the battery takes to "recharge" to 100%. since we haven't been able to see the battery temp and can't really nail down the floating voltage ratio to charge held precisely, there will probably always be some unknowns here. I'm looking forward to Phill's Leafscan to finally be able to track battery temp under various charging and discharging scenarios.

I have seen enough already in terms of the benefits of a warmer battery to consider insulating my garage, something I've been wanting to do anyway. aside from saving $$ on heating the house, it will also allow me to reasonably control the battery environment during charging. The battery has enough thermal mass to benefit from prewarming for quite a while.

brent said:
My guess is the the battery pack would take a pretty big whallup of juice to heat it up so it might need some priority setting.
Charge first priority ... after 80% start the battery warmer or something like that ... and I said manually, I really mean timer / manual control. I think Bill Gates had a hand in the software. Please don't try to guess everything I want the car to do in advnace and then lock me out of the decision loop.

Love the handle ... GaslessinSeattle.

BryanA said:
Back to item #3. I just got my car back from it's one year review and asked the same question.
The answer was the Auto lock / unlock can be changed individually by the following steps.
a. Close all doors
b. turn ON car
c. inside of 20 seconds, press and hold LOCK or UNLOCK button for more than 5 seconds
d. turn car OFF
e. turn car back ON.

As I mentioned above .... too much Bill Gates
If I'm in the driver's seat and I pull the door open latch, why wouldn't it unlock the door for me ??
It's not like a back seat with a kid the might get out while you're travelling.
Pretty poorly thought out.

BryanA said:
a. Close all doors
b. turn ON car
d. turn car OFF
e. turn car back ON.

Just found this thread - Thanks Byran!!

Back