Things you can do, but shouldn't

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, if it locks and then automatically releases moments later, that seems to do nothing useful, right?

If so, would it activating at speed just be a safety hazard, and thus an "unintended feature" (a "bug")?

If accidently applied (a tiny pull up of one switch-lever) at freeway speeds in heavy traffic, it might cause a severe accident, right?
(A sweater caught under the lever, pick the sweater up to toss it into the back seat, ... ?)

If seems to me that this "feature" should be reported to Nissan so they can check to see if this "function" is really their intention.

garygid said:
So, if it locks and then automatically releases moments later, that seems to do nothing useful, right?
If seems to me that this "feature" should be reported to Nissan so they can check to see if this "function" is really their intention.
I wrote a whole long post, but realized it would just put people to sleep. In your specific case, the accident shouldn't happen - you have to hold it, not just a brief sweater toss. (*wrong - see edit)

I believe this is working as designed - since you're pressing both the A pedal and pulling up the parking brake, the car has decided you're doing a hill assist. If you are rolling down a hill without the A pedal pressed, you pull the parking brake and it does the same grab/release, then that would be a bug/problem.

* Edit: GeekEV says the brief pull will work - I certainly bow to him since I'm just going off of manuals.

You all got me curious, so I tested the ebreak thing some more. The faster you're going, the less impact it has. At speeds <= 30, it will squeal the tires, but at speeds >= 35 it just kinda tugs at the brakes a bit and releases almost immediately. I didn't test in between, so I'm not EXACTLY sure where the transition is, but this seems unlikely to cause an accident. And no, you don't have to pull and hold it to engage, just a quick tug will do it.

EDIT: brakes not breaks, oops!

GeekEV said:
You all got me curious, so I tested the ebreak thing some more. The faster you're going, the less impact it has. At speeds <= 30, it will squeal the tires, but at speeds >= 35 it just kinda tugs at the breaks a bit and releases almost immediately. I didn't test in between, so I'm not EXACTLY sure where the transition is, but this seems unlikely to cause an accident. And no, you don't have to pull and hold it to engage, just a quick tug will do it.

If you hold it, will they stay on instead of releasing automatically?

Seems like you'd want this feature in the event of main brake failure.

Ingineer said:
I had a chance to test this at lunch. The answer is yes, it will stay on if you hold it. I even kept my foot on the throttle and tried it from 20MPH. I came to a screeching halt. :)

GeekEV said:
Ingineer said:
I had a chance to test this at lunch. The answer is yes, it will stay on if you hold it. I even kept my foot on the throttle and tried it from 20MPH. I came to a screeching halt. :)

Note to self:
If buying a used Leaf, don't buy one from someone named "GeekEV"... :D

You can turn the car off while in drive ... not sure if there as a maximum speed to where it will ignore you. Did this while stretching and driving to turn at a red light!

mogur said:
I honestly don't know what motivated Nissan to eliminate the time tested manual parking brake lever and replace it with this scheme... It appears to have been a (expensive) solution in search of a problem...

Perhaps the battery gets in the way when routing the mechanical pull cable for the emergency brakes.. it the only thing that comes to mind and it sounds stupid.. the electric brake must cost quite a bit.

GeekEV: Does this qualify as a proper J-turn?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU3K-hqjD1A

I just posted this elsewhere, but it probably qualifies here as well: You can leave the fob in your pants pocket since you don't need to remove it drive, and then toss the pants in the laundry.

Rat said:
I just posted this elsewhere, but it probably qualifies here as well: You can leave the fob in your pants pocket since you don't need to remove it drive, and then toss the pants in the laundry.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4073

what happens if you press the accelerator while in neutral? Does the motor spin up? I actually don't expect anything to happen, but when happens if you floor the accelerator while in neutral, and then put the Leaf into Drive?

jclemens said:
what happens if you press the accelerator while in neutral? Does the motor spin up? I actually don't expect anything to happen, but when happens if you floor the accelerator while in neutral, and then put the Leaf into Drive?
The accelerator has no effect while you are in neutral. I wouldn't try the second part. :eek:

The motor is always coupled to the wheels so there is nothing to spin up. You can floor the accelerator, put it in D, and it will take off pretty much the same as if you floored it in D in the first place. ICE rules do not apply here.

jclemens said:

TonyWilliams said:
Also, you can jam it in reverse while driving forward, and it will just go to Neutral.

I can't remember who the poster was, but they said make sure it is 7mph or faster before you do that.

Stoaty said:
jclemens said:
what happens if you press the accelerator while in neutral? Does the motor spin up?
The accelerator has no effect while you are in neutral.
Man! How am I supposed to indicate to the car next to mine on a red light that I want to race him!?!

Damn you Nissan, Damn You!

:cool:

Another poster downloaded an app to his iPhone that had the sound of a revving engine. Do that and play it through your sound system.

Back