Things you can do, but shouldn't

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another:

If you hold the gear selector in between "home" and D,N, or R, a message pops up on the dash "Check shifter position" (or something to that effect).

This might have already been covered here, but when backing out of a parking space, just throw it in to forward, no need to even apply brakes. As long as you're not going too fast, it will reverse direction even while in movement (if you are going too fast it just beeps) - and while I expected it to consume a lot of energy, I found instead that it actually regenerates while doing so.

Being able to drive two-footed with the brake pedal makes parallel-parking on very steep hills a real breeze.

You can switch between drive and neutral at any time, even with the go pedal depressed, without harm. For maximizing range, or just to experience the sensation of freely coasting, this comes in handy at times.

Herm said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
ahh, had a chance to test that with the ice we had the other day... oh well, its still cold out but the roads are pretty much cleared. i actually think it should since the change in "gear" is actually a change in polarity not a change in motor so sure, why not?

Not even a change in polarity, they just change the timing of the three AC waveforms they feed the motor. Would the differential gears have any troubles going backwards?

Differential gears are OK for short distances in reverse, but have a short lifetime if driven in reverse continuously due to lubrication issues.

Back