This is why I'll be leasing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiey

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/silicon-nanoscoops-to-combine-li-ions-energy-with-supercapacito/

News like this is exactly why I think it's better to lease. So much change going on in the electric power space, that the electric cars 36 months from now will be very different I'm sure.

This is pretty cool too:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/tesla-model-s-to-have-17-inch-infotainment-console-powered-by-t/

And on top of it, Toyota has announced some cartainment type items.....

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/toyota-entune-in-car-infotainment-system-interfaces-with-your-sm/

The only thing we have left is for our cars to drive themselves.. :)

Thoughts?

Depends what you want... Best bang for your purchase while keeping it as long as possible or flexability by getting a new tech in 3 years at a higher cost.

I am personally going back and forth on this and I see benefit in both, the inner technology geek in me tells me I want to lease it because I will want latest technology, but at the same time my voice of wisdom tells me that buying it and keeping it for as long as possible would provide more benefit to the wallet and the environment.

Another reason:

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Future-Capacitor-Replica-Unlimited/dp/B001M5PTQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294183246&sr=8-1

:D

IBELEAF said:
... buying it and keeping it for as long as possible would provide more benefit to the wallet and the environment.
The environmental benefit is debatable. Essentially the leased car you give back will be sold to someone who doesn't (or can't afford to) buy a new EV. If you replace Leaf with another EV - you have essentially subsidized that someone else's EV purchase ...

Nissan leases give you the option to purchase the vehicle at the end of the term for a pre-determined value. The purchase option may give you the best of both worlds. Although there are some fees involved, you'll have a nice "clean" option at the end of three or four years to either return the vehicle to Nissan, buy it out, or trade it in.

I am still not sure how much of a premium do you pay if you lease a car vs buying it for 3 years... Someone mentioned $1700 a while back

IBELEAF said:
I am still not sure how much of a premium do you pay if you lease a car vs buying it for 3 years... Someone mentioned $1700 a while back
It depends on the way you calculate i.e. how much of "time value of money" do you want to account for. Then it depends on whether you plan to give it back or buy it out after 3 years. It would also depend on your state taxes. See the lease sticky - there is a linked thread that gives some figures.

Since the LEAF is a long-term investment for my family (at least 10 years) we're definitely purchasing. Plus I plan on performing as much maintenance as possible on my own and don't like how leases restrict ownership rights (after all, leasing != buying).

Now if I was like my parents that seemed to trade-in vehicles every 3-4 years, it would make sense to lease, but I prefer to keep them until the wheels fall off (with proper maintenance though)... :D

hmm, i dont know. in 3 years, i might look to sell my Prius and go with 2 EVs. as long as the 2nd one can do about 200 miles, then i would need to rent a car about 2-3 times a year.

eddiey said:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/silicon-nanoscoops-to-combine-li-ions-energy-with-supercapacito/

News like this is exactly why I think it's better to lease. So much change going on in the electric power space, that the electric cars 36 months from now will be very different I'm sure.
One thing for sure is that auto majors are a conservative lot. They have to be - there are huge risks with any new technology and they want to be sure.

It generally takes 4 to 5 years to develop a new car. So, if some new thing is not in a prototype car today running tests - you will not see it in a production car in 3 years.

These press releases show up year after year and the technology is always a couple years away.

purchasing. I just like to own it outright from day 1. No one can come and take it away, no payments, just insurance. I buy all my cars that way.

I've always done the same but this one is so much different with so many variables that I am going to lease this time.

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
purchasing. I just like to own it outright from day 1. No one can come and take it away, no payments, just insurance. I buy all my cars that way.

I suspect I'm not alone when I say: "First Lease ever!"

I agree -- too many unknowns, and it's hard enough to sell an ICE car (private party) as it is. Once I figure in the saved fuel costs, it's really close to $200/month to drive a Leaf for three years. That's got to be the sweetest deal ever.

times 2. this is 5th new car purchase in nearly 7 years but unlike the last 4 when i paid cash, i will lease.

one reason; new technology
2nd reason; possibly significant advances in technology in the 3 year lease period

3rd reason; wont get the entire tax credit unless i lease then buy.

garygid said:
In three to five years, maybe all new non-ICE cars will be required to have sensors and standardized connectors for "driving-by-the-blind" attachments.

The option to buy (or get rid of) is worth a lot of money, especially when the future value of the car is highly uncertain. The value could be much lower than expected depending on competing new models (include any "Leaf 2") or worse than expected battery technology on the Leaf. If the value is much higher than expected, then you buy the car at the end of the lease. Nissan is lowering its risk by using a lower residual than I'm used to seeing. I may still buy though because I can't stand the thought of another monthly payment.

IBELEAF said:

There is no premium IF the lessee can't receive the full $7500 fed tax credit.

evnow said:
eddiey said:

One thing for sure is that auto majors are a conservative lot. They have to be - there are huge risks with any new technology and they want to be sure.

It generally takes 4 to 5 years to develop a new car. So, if some new thing is not in a prototype car today running tests - you will not see it in a production car in 3 years.

Interesting observation...I just read about the VW all electric coming in 2014-15 and it only gets 85 miles on a charge so that sounds right.

Vehicles improve every single year. I want the Leaf now for what it is. My next EV will not be three years out on new technology. My next EV will be 10 to 15 years out with even more improvements. This is why I am purchasing. I don't need to drive every incremental improvement as it comes along every couple years.

For better or worse I am all in. Full commitment. No exit plan.

Back