Timer Charger issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wongfeihong187

Hi just leased the 2014 Nissan Leaf S. Finally got around to setting the timer charger on it. I had set the start time to 00:10, never checked if it did came on at midnight. Anyway came home last night from dinner (drove another car) around 9pmish and noticed timer started the charging. Did I set it wrong? The clock setting on the car is correct. Please help with any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you in advance for reading this.

-al

Welcome to the forum!
wongfeihong187 said:
Finally got around to setting the timer charger on it. I had set the start time to 00:10, never checked if it did came on at midnight. Anyway came home last night from dinner (drove another car) around 9pmish and noticed timer started the charging.
I'm pretty sure the timer on the S is an END timer, which is what you want. Just program it to finish about when you leave in the morning.

I don't know what you mean by "end timer". I believe it only allows me to begin the timer at a certain time without an "end", at least that's what I read in the manual. The S does not have navigation, and I know with Leafs that have that option as an "end" time. Unfortunately my leaf is starting the timer charge way too early (about three hours early).

Thanks for your reply, I'll reread the manual. If what you guys are saying is correct, then how does the timer know when to start the charging at midnight, if "S" owners only have an "end time"?

Just reread the manual, you guys are correct, it just has an "To 00:00" which means "end time". So how do we Leaf cheap as "S" owners get the timer to start at midnight (trying to be facetious here, but still serious)? Thanks again for all your insights about this car.

wongfeihong187 said:
Thanks for your reply, I'll reread the manual. If what you guys are saying is correct, then how does the timer know when to start the charging at midnight, if "S" owners only have an "end time"?
It doesn't. It only knows you want to be done by the time you set and calculates back from there for the start time. If you are trying to hit a TOU window to get cheap electricity, then program about 30 minutes or so past the end of the TOU window. This is because the timers are always pessimistic and will tend to start (and end) a bit early.

Thank you Reg... I will do what you and smkettner said to do,set the charger to end at "6:30". Damn that's pretty backward, don't guys think?

If you are trying to hit the low cost TOU window try setting one hour past the time as the estimate tends to be conservative.
So 12a to 6a low TOU set the timer for 7a and see how it goes. Does carwings send a start and stop email?

Does the display show time to charge? That should be the time before your setting when charging will start.

wongfeihong187 said:
Damn that's pretty backward, don't guys think?
No, an end timer is the one you want, IMO, since the charger then accounts for the SOC and ensures the battery is full when you need it.

Thank you Reg and Smkettner for your replies. Definitely your experience and expertise helped me understand and appreciate the Leaf more, I'm just a newbie :lol:

wongfeihong187 said:
Thank you Reg and Smkettner for your replies. Definitely your experience and expertise helped me understand and appreciate the Leaf more, I'm just a newbie :lol:
You are welcome! I don't have a 2014 manual, but I did look at the 2013 version. That manual is completely unclear about whether this timer controls the start or the end time! (At least the part I found on pages CH-24 and CH-25. The only clue is on the display, which says: "To" before the time you enter. I wonder if the word "End" would work better there.) Likely your manual is the same...

wongfeihong187 said:
Hi just leased the 2014 Nissan Leaf S. Finally got around to setting the timer charger on it. I had set the start time to 00:10, never checked if it did came on at midnight. Anyway came home last night from dinner (drove another car) around 9pmish and noticed timer started the charging. Did I set it wrong? The clock setting on the car is correct. Please help with any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you in advance for reading this.

-al

I just leased a S model without charge package today and still wondering how to charge it with a timer. It has about 40 miles left on it and I started charging it (trickle charge)around 7:30pm, I go to work at 8am in the morning. but still don't know how to set the timer. Can you please tell me how to set the timer? Thanks.

kawan999 said:
I just leased a S model without charge package today and still wondering how to charge it with a timer. It has about 40 miles left on it and I started charging it (trickle charge)around 7:30pm, I go to work at 8am in the morning. but still don't know how to set the timer. Can you please tell me how to set the timer? Thanks.
Setting the timer for the S model is on pages CH-24 and CH-25 in the manual.

Be aware that the time you set is the "end-time": the time you plan to leave. The car will figure out when to start charging. If you are "trickle" charging, it is so slow that there may not be enough time to fully charge the battery. In that case charging may start as soon as you plug-in the car. Otherwise the charging will start later but be finished by the time you set (it usually finishes a bit early).

When setting the timer on the car be aware that you also have to set it to "On" for it to function. You can then turn it on or off as needed without changing the time you set. If the timer is off, the car should start charging whenever you plug it in. You can also override the timer using the "Immediate Charge" button, page CH-26.

One final note: you say that the car "has about 40 miles left". Be aware that the number displayed can be very inaccurate — we call it the "Guess-o-meter" (GOM) — since it can't predict how you will drive the car in the future. You need to learn to display the % State of Charge (SOC) on the dash and use that as your fuel gauge. You will learn how many percent it takes to do various legs of your trips under given weather and driving conditions. Also, you will get better range and tire wear if you keep your tires at about 38-42 psi; the 36 psi recommended by Nissan is too low.

dgpcolorado said:
kawan999 said:
Setting the timer for the S model is on pages CH-24 and CH-25 in the manual.

Be aware that the time you set is the "end-time": the time you plan to leave. The car will figure out when to start charging. If you are "trickle" charging, it is so slow that there may not be enough time to fully charge the battery. In that case charging may start as soon as you plug-in the car. Otherwise the charging will start later but be finished by the time you set (it usually finishes a bit early).

When setting the timer on the car be aware that you also have to set it to "On" for it to function. You can then turn it on or off as needed without changing the time you set. If the timer is off, the car should start charging whenever you plug it in. You can also override the timer using the "Immediate Charge" button, page CH-26.

One final note: you say that the car "has about 40 miles left". Be aware that the number displayed can be very inaccurate — we call it the "Guess-o-meter" (GOM) — since it can't predict how you will drive the car in the future. You need to learn to display the % State of Charge (SOC) on the dash and use that as your fuel gauge. You will learn how many percent it takes to do various legs of your trips under given weather and driving conditions. Also, you will get better range and tire wear if you keep your tires at about 38-42 psi; the 36 psi recommended by Nissan is too low.

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Back