trials and tribulations and the Santa Monica Place

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tps said:
Caracalover said:
Maybe it is just me, but this seems like a long way to go to get a bite to eat.
Never heard of the "$100 hamburger?" I used to know every small airport within 100 nautical miles with a restaurant on-airport or nearby. In my younger days, I and my flying buddies would visit these on a regular basis...

I am glad you had a good time, and yes, I have had my share of excuses to travel, and that was my point. You set off on an adventure, and 3rd street served you well, which is what SM had in mind when they put in the chargers, as someone else pointed out. Too bad that electricity isn't like fuel at the airport, trucked in and available at a premium. Just curious, is that a free charge, or a pay one?

I will be heading to SM on the 16th, to join the parade being put together by Plug in Amerca. Will you be making it?

k2msmith said:
Don't you mean the $100 Cheesesteak ? :) Forgive me for that one, but I noticed your location says Philly and I used to live on 2601 Pennsylvania Ave many years go...
Philly now, but Indiana back in the days when I was doing $100 hamburger runs with my flying buddies. Now, sadly, Aretz airport, where I learned to fly, is closed, as are several of the airports into which I flew in those days. At least one of the airports I used to frequent is probably safe for a while: Clermont County (OH) where Sporty's is located...

Back closer to the topic of this thread. It's been years since I've been in the Santa Monica area, but is Gladstone's still there on the PCH right by the end of Sunset Blvd?

I'm contemplating getting a 2hr charge at SMP on my way to Long Beach at 8-9am on a Saturday morning. Can anyone comment on the outlook of a successful charge without wait at such time? Also curious if I can call ChargePoint and they can start a charge remotely - I have a CP card on order but it seems to take more time than it should to receive it.

k2msmith said:
JimSouCal said:
Lastly, I went to Helms and ate at Father's Office, and one of the two EVSE spaces had a Tesla Coupe, that of course, cant' charge there either. So what is the difference between that and an ICEd spot? Rant over...

Now if someone could just make a charging "adapter" to plug a Tesla or Volt on one side (output) and a Leaf on the other (input)...Maybe that would help ?

Hi
There is a Prof at UCLA who is actually doing this. Dr. Rajit Gadh had an active research program on using multiplexers so that several cars can simultaneously charge at standard 240 V charging stations or even at 110 V trickle charge stations. It still does not solve the problem of non-EV's occupying the EV Charging Station parking stations of course, but that should be a parking enforcement problem.

Valdemar said:
I'm contemplating getting a 2hr charge at SMP on my way to Long Beach at 8-9am on a Saturday morning. Can anyone comment on the outlook of a successful charge without wait at such time? Also curious if I can call ChargePoint and they can start a charge remotely - I have a CP card on order but it seems to take more time than it should to receive it.
Don't know about the availability at SMP, but the civic center should be available for a charge to park. It was discounted to $3 when I used it a month ago on a Saturday, even though it had large signs that said $8.

Caracalover said:
Don't know about the availability at SMP, but the civic center should be available for a charge to park. It was discounted to $3 when I used it a month ago on a Saturday, even though it had large signs that said $8.

Good idea, however if paying 8 I'd rather drive my other ICE car and not worry about taken EV spots and broken chargers :)

k2msmith said:
The charger has a little LCD display that tells you whether is is charging or not - and in this case the Volt wasn't charging (I looked)
The reason I'm asking is that the Volt works the opposite of the Leaf. It blinks when it's finished charging and is solid when it's charging. I also think the only time the light isn't lit is when the Volt isn't plugged in. That's another problem with plug sharing -- you may not know when a car is charging and when it's finished unless you also know what its light pattern means.

SanDust said:
k2msmith said:
The charger has a little LCD display that tells you whether is is charging or not - and in this case the Volt wasn't charging (I looked)
The reason I'm asking is that the Volt works the opposite of the Leaf. It blinks when it's finished charging and is solid when it's charging. I also think the only time the light isn't lit is when the Volt isn't plugged in. That's another problem with plug sharing -- you may not know when a car is charging and when it's finished unless you also know what its light pattern means.

Not sure exactly now.. I'm just a beginner at this. Chargepoint just sent me a card so that should make it easier, at least, to unlock the machine.

Back