Turning in Pristine 2011 LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickrides

I will be turning in my 2011 Leaf SL-E, see signature, 8,592 miles. This car is pristine! I don't how much the dealer will ask for this car but it should be a great deal for someone. I hope someone on this form gets it. I will turn it in after July 2. PM me if you want to set a date to see it. I live in Danville, CA and will take it to Dublin or Walnut Creek.

What is the battery condition, preferably as per a meter?

rickrides said:
I will be turning in my 2011 Leaf SL-E, see signature, 8,592 miles. This car is pristine! I don't how much the dealer will ask for this car but it should be a great deal for someone. I hope someone on this form gets it. I will turn it in after July 2. PM me if you want to set a date to see it. I live in Danville, CA and will take it to Dublin or Walnut Creek.

Brendan wants to know if you want to get another from us at Boardwalk

rickrides said:

rickrides said:

Is the residual high enough to not make it worth buying the car? I would think that the value of a 2011 with 8k miles would be above the residual for a car that Nissan expected to have 36,000 (or whatever) miles when you turn it in.

I was thinking the same thing about your residual, why not buy it (or sell it) if the residual isn't too high. I'm sure you can get at least 3 more years out of your battery. But, I also understand the desire to upgrade in technology, and not have to hassle with selling it.

I don't have a gid? but it still has 12 bars and it hasn't been in hot conditions. Charged to 100% the first year and 80%, except when I needed range, since. Always garaged except the last few days.

I just got a Rav4 EV...More range and fits my needs better.

If I paid off the residual I would have to pay 8.5% sales tax and then sell it for enough to come out ahead. Thanks for that input. I will run the numbers. If I could come out a few hundred dollars ahead it might be worth the hassle.

-Rick

You can try to sell the right to pay the residual instead. I've been told that this is possible, and that way you don't have to put up the money or find a buyer. The "buyer" would pay the residual after paying you a fee. I'd like to do that with my Leaf as well, but haven't learned the details, yet. The biggest hurdle is apparently the lag between the transaction and the title arriving...

rickrides said:
...If I paid off the residual I would have to pay 8.5% sales tax and then sell it for enough to come out ahead. Thanks for that input. I will run the numbers. If I could come out a few hundred dollars ahead it might be worth the hassle.

-Rick

If I were you, I'd decide what the hassle is worth to you, and list it at a non-negotiable price, including that premium.

FWIW, I think (has a DC port, right?) it could only be worth ~$16-17k in a private party sale, with all the excellent MY 2014 close out deals being available.

Anyway, that's ~what I'd pay you, if I didn't already own one...

Yeah, it might be hard to make the math work, since there is a flood of Leaf's leases ending for 2011's. Even if yours is equivalent to a one year old battery. But, you're right, working around the sales tax, purchase fees, and other hassles, makes turning it in seem like the best option.

Your main competition are the lease deals, which are very attractive right now, with good deals costing $9000-$11,000 for 3 years.

Though, if you find someone who needs more mileage than leases offer, then you might be able to find a potential buyer.

Congrats on your Rav-4 EV! I test drove one and really liked it, but the cost was a little prohibitive for me.

Back