Two Questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molleyk

I have been wondering 2 things:
I have a 2015 Leaf S model.

There may be something wrong with either the Leaf or me but I don't know!

1) How come my car only estimates how long it takes to recharge using a 240 6w charger? That happens to be the charger I use most of the time, but when I use my trickle charger, I'd also like to know. Is there a magic hoop I need to jump through?

2) The heated steering wheel...I understand that it only works when the cabin temperature is a certain range. However, at night when I drive, that button isn't even high lighted like the other 3 buttons are. Is that normal? And how cold does it have to get!? There have been times it was chilly And I wanted to use it but have never been able to.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

I have a 2015 SL, but I think the dash display in front of the steering wheel is the same. I did not need to do anything to have it display the charging times for 6 kW L2, 3.3 kW L2, and L1 (3 lines in one display). My 2011 displayed the L2 (3.3 kW only) and L1 rates without any programming/setup. The steering wheel heater has a thermostat that cuts it off if it gets too warm and there is a long delay before it cools enough to come back on. If the temperature of the steering wheel is cold enough that you want heat, it should heat for a little while when you first turn it on. I cannot remember if the steering wheel heat switch is lighted and I am away from the car so I cannot check. It sounds to me like there might be something wrong with your car.

Gerry

The Leaf's steering wheel heater is notorious for first getting too hot, then for shutting down and not being "willing" to start heating again for too long a time. The trick is to shut it off manually as soon as it's on the high end of "comfortable," then to turn it on and off as needed. This is just one of the many enjoyable "undocumented features" of the Leaf. ;-)

molleyk said:
2) The heated steering wheel...I understand that it only works when the cabin temperature is a certain range. However, at night when I drive, that button isn't even high lighted like the other 3 buttons are. Is that normal? And how cold does it have to get!? There have been times it was chilly And I wanted to use it but have never been able to.

Thanks!

In my car, the steering wheel heater certainly is not dependent on cabin temperature. I have accidentally turned it on during the heat of the summer, and the car happily obliged. And the light always goes on and stays on when I enable it, even during the "cool down" cycle. I suspect there is something wrong with your heater - you should probably bring it in to be looked at.

Since they will have to pull the switch anyway, ask them to swap it with the charge timer override button, or whatever button is nearest the door. That way you will be able to easily see and reach the wheel heater button while driving. The swap is easy.

LeftieBiker said:
Since they will have to pull the switch anyway, ask them to swap it with the charge timer override button, or whatever button is nearest the door. That way you will be able to easily see and reach the wheel heater button while driving. The swap is easy.

Thanks but I don't understand what you're saying...the 2 buttons are about an inch apart on my dash. What is the utility of switching them?

So you can see the switch easier, since you might need to see it while your driving. Where as the charge timer button you likely won't need to push while driving :)

I did swap mine, but the funny thing is I put it back where it was, the little LED kept distracting me, now it is hidden again :)

I swapped mine and am happy with it. The red ON light doesn't bother me, whereas having to look around the steering wheel while driving to push the button repeatedly most certainly did annoy and worry me. The OP doesn't yet understand just how much work that "automatic" thermostat is going to make.

molleyk said:
How come my car only estimates how long it takes to recharge using a 240 6w charger? That happens to be the charger I use most of the time, but when I use my trickle charger, I'd also like to know. Is there a magic hoop I need to jump through?

As Gerry mentioned, you should have 3 estimated charging speeds displayed if the car is on, but not plugged in. (For cars with the 3.8 kW charger, just 120 volt and 240 volt charging estimates are displayed). If the car is plugged in and on, it will display the estimated time for whatever you're actually plugged into.

If you are driving and only one charging speed is shown, there is something wrong.

Back