Ugh! I pushed it too far (by 1/8th of a mile)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipscoggins

So I had to take an extra drive tonight & had 25 GIDs when I got home. Then I got the great idea of helping my BMS learn a little so I decided to drive around the block to turtle my 2012 LEAF since I've only done that once before, about 6 months ago. Well, I turtled about 0.6 miles from my house, slight incline, coasted into my neighbor's driveway about 1/8th of a mile from my house. Crap!

It was about 10:30PM here & my neighbor's an elderly farmer with a long driveway & I saw no need to get him out of bed with it 39 degrees in Tennessee tonight.

Called Nissan roadside service with the Android LEAF app & had a tow truck pull up in about 15 minutes. He didn't give me too hard of a time & never once said anything about it wouldn't have happened if I drove a gas car.

I really thought I was going to get home with 3 gid to spare, but it dropped from 8 to 4 in about 1/2 mile (granted I was cranking the heat wide open)

Wonder what mt GID count will be in the morning? I've been getting 243 since it cooled down this week...

philipscoggins said:
I really thought I was going to get home with 3 gid to spare, but it dropped from 8 to 4 in about 1/2 mile (granted I was cranking the heat wide open)

Why did you think you might get more than 1/2 mile with heater, and in cold weather?

I started at 23 GIDs & turned around at 15 GIDs. I assumed it would take 8 GIDs to get back home, leaving me with 7 GIDs. I got a lot farther on the initial 8 than I thought I would. Maybe the heater cycled up after I turned around to head home.

philipscoggins said:
I started at 23 GIDs & turned around at 15 GIDs. I assumed it would take 8 GIDs to get back home, leaving me with 7 GIDs. I got a lot farther on the initial 8 than I thought I would. Maybe the heater cycled up after I turned around to head home.

Or it's slightly up hill, etc. Just know that when you REALLY, REALLY need to stretch the distance, slow to about 12mph with all the climate control OFF.

smkettner said:
I doubt the BMS learned anything ;)
Unless you consider that philipscoggins is a part of the BMS! :D

BTW, sorry you didn't make it home. I'm not looking forward to the day that happens to me. I know it will come! (OTOH, I plan to charge with the generator enough to get it back here, particularly if it is very close to home or I'm past the three years of free service.)

Yeah, I think I picked up a few tips from last night. Probably the main one would be that it would have been much safer to turtle in my driveway with the heat cranking that trying to blow through the last few GID on the road.

Back