USB Charging - Not what I expected

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzJazz

When I try to connect a Droid X to the USB connector in the Leaf, I just want it to charge.

However, as soon as I connect the cable, the Leaf starts playing every mp3/audio file it can find on the phone (including ringtones! :()

Can I configure the Leaf to just charge the phone, and not play the audio files?

Thanks,

AzJazz

AzJazz said:
Can I configure the Leaf to just charge the phone, and not play the audio files?
I do not believe there is anything on the Leaf that would let you do this. From what I've seen the USB port is really intended as a music port and not a charging port. However an easy fix should be on your Droid X itself. When you're connected via USB, you should be able to pull down the shade on your Droid, select the USB icon, and select "Charge only" (or something like that).

HOWEVER, this does not work for me on my Droid 2. My Droid goes through a connect/disconnect cycle that makes it not really chargeable. I suspect what is happening is that the Leaf does a USB connect, doesn't find any music so it disconnects, and then it attempts to connect again. I am currently using a 12v -> USB adapter to charge my Droid 2.

Here's the fix: On your Android phone, go into Settings, Application Settings, Development, and put a checkbox next to USB Debugging. Now when you plug in a USB cable, your phone will no longer automatically mount itself as a drive.

I've given up on charging my Droid X from the Leaf's USB port. When plugged in, every 30 seconds or so charging stops for a bit. The result is the phone is awake with display on the whole time it's plugged in. It actually loses more charge than it gains :shock:

At first, I thought it was a cable problem, but it does the same thing with other cables. Other android phones work OK, so I'm guessing it's some bizarre incompatibility between the Leaf and the DX.

I'm using one of these now:
http://store.griffintechnology.com/smartphone/powerjolt-dual-universal-micro

AzJazz said:
When I try to connect a Droid X to the USB connector in the Leaf, I just want it to charge.

However, as soon as I connect the cable, the Leaf starts playing every mp3/audio file it can find on the phone (including ringtones! :()

Thanks,

AzJazz

Google for "Rocket Fish cable" and you'll see a bunch of people mistakenly buying a USB cable for both data and power but only to find out that cable only does power charging. But, that is exactly what you need right?

I have one I bought 3 years ago (mini USB) and it works great as a power only cable.

keydiver said:
A *HARD* fix for this would be to cut one of the data wires on the USB jack, so it gets power only.
I tried something similar myself, by covering the data wires with electrical tape, but it didn't work. Perhaps because I covered both data pins? Or maybe I just did it wrong...

EDIT: I found an old post on the net which suggests that the iPod/iPhone (which is what I have) won't recognize it's plugged in if the data ground isn't connected, so maybe that's what I did wrong. I'll try just covering the data + pin and see what that does.

Similar to mxp's idea, maybe just get one of these:

Ebay has them for next to nothing. Some have dual ports.

That's ultimately what I wound up doing. It just seems a waste when there's a perfectly good port there already! :D

The two outer pins are power and ground.
The two inner pins are data (+ and -).

patillaje_conector_USB.JPG

So, cutting the wires or covering the two inner contacts ...
should/might work?

garygid said:
So, cutting the wires or covering the two inner contacts ...
should/might work?
In my earlier post I mentioned that I'd tried just that with my iPhone and it didn't work (sorry if it wasn't clear). Based on some research I just did, I believe the iPhone requires the data - to be grounded to properly recognize that it's plugged in. I have yet to try covering just the data +, I'll do that later tonight and report back.

I've been charging my LEAF with the USB port and it seems to be taking weeks to move the SOC at all. Do I have a bad cable? :lol:

Sometimes, EVDRIVER, I don't know whether to laugh at you or just shake my head in befuddlement. You're too much!

Anyway, I tried covering up just the data + pin and it still didn't work. I don't know if the LEAF is refusing to power up the port without all four pins connected, or of it's the iPhone refusing to charge without all four pins. I'll be curious to see what other phones do. I'm probably not going to play with this anymore and just stick with my third party charge plug.

I have been unable to get either my iPad2 or my iPod Touch to charge from the USB port in the LEAF. Have other Apple "i" product users been able to charge their devices via the USB port in the car? The iPad2 will play music files through the LEAF, but even while it plays music its battery is not charging. I have tried a couple of different cables which did not make any difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gerry

The standard USB port puts out 5v, 500 ma max (some provide less, unless more is negotiated) on pins 1 (power) and 4 (ground).

Then, it uses the other pins (2 and 3) for Data signals, usually somewhere between 5v and 0v.

The mini (or micro) USB used for connections to a handheld usually have an extra pin (pin "x"), located between pin 3 and 4.

The manufacturer of the "handheld" device may choose to use the pin "x" INPUT, and possibly the Data pin inputs, in special ways when they construct a USB-charging cable (max draw 500 ma), or a "full" charging cable (drawing maybe an amp or more).

For example, pin "x" grounded MIGHT mean "charging" (and not grounded might mean "data-cable").

In a similar manner, the data pins near 2.5v (or ??) might mean limited (500 ma) charging, and some other condition (like grounded) might mean "full" (more than 500 ma) charging rates.

Each device might have different requirements, so that people generally will need to buy the specific charging cable for the device.

Google for the wiring of the charge cable for your particular device, or measure the charging cable's resistance between each pair of pins. That should tell the story (or most of it) about how the charging cable is made.

DarkStar said:
Here's the fix: On your Android phone, go into Settings, Application Settings, Development, and put a checkbox next to USB Debugging
I must say, I was not expecting this to work. I've messed with the USB Debugging mode for other things before, but I was skeptical. I did this and it works beautifully. Thanks!

A note to others - enabling this can cause some wonkiness when doing other things with the USB port so turning it back off should be your first step in diagnosing problems with your Droid.

JasonT said:
DarkStar said:
Here's the fix: On your Android phone, go into Settings, Application Settings, Development, and put a checkbox next to USB Debugging
I must say, I was not expecting this to work. I've messed with the USB Debugging mode for other things before, but I was skeptical. I did this and it works beautifully. Thanks!

A note to others - enabling this can cause some wonkiness when doing other things with the USB port so turning it back off should be your first step in diagnosing problems with your Droid.
Hmm... I've never experienced any wonkiness with my T-Mobile G2 with this enabled. Well at least it solved the automatic drive mounting! :D

Back