Used Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KayfromLA said:
Actually, I have been looking at the prices for new 2012 Leafs, and I just got a quote for 33K, which post rebate brings it down to 23 K. I may go for a new one.
Good idea. There are some deals to be had, but you have to look around for them. Play the dealers against each other.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1081280_nissan-offers-almost-10k-cash-back-on-leaf-electric-cars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KayfromLA said:
Actually, I have been looking at the prices for new 2012 Leafs, and I just got a quote for 33K, which post rebate brings it down to 23 K. I may go for a new one.

Kay, I hope you aren't thinking about buying. If I were you, I would definitely lease for two years. There are so many tech changes with BEVs that most likely will become available in 2014 and/or 2015.

LEAFfan said:
Kay, I hope you aren't thinking about buying. If I were you, I would definitely lease for two years. There are so many tech changes with BEVs that most likely will become available in 2014 and/or 2015.
Only problem is that leasing for 2 years makes you ineligible for the CVRP. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9641" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Don't buy a used one when the new ones are still so cheap to lease. DO NOT PURCHASE; LEASE ONLY.

Do get 36 months, so you can get the $2500 state rebate. You will "instantly" get the $7500 federal tax credit with an electric car lease (as opposed to a purchase, in which case you'll wait for your taxes). I do not recommend the 39 month lease, since that is outside the LEAF warranty.

Other logical choices are 12,000 miles or 15,000 miles per year. You'll be surprised how much MORE you drive an electric car. I put 25,000 miles on my first LEAF in one year. 11,000 miles on my second LEAF in 5 months and already 4000 miles on my Toyota Rav4 EV in 6 weeks (including one week that the car was in the shop).

And finally, SV or SL. That, you'll have to decide on your own. The SL will have quick charge capability, backup camera, and Homelink garage door opener. I do recommend the stock floor mats and maybe mud flaps.

Please click on the "Range Chart" link in my signature line and download a chart.

Herm said:
if the dealers got smart and reset the bar loss indicator it may take a few weeks of driving for the bars to disappear again.. you really dont want those cars because even with your short commute battery degradation will accelerate. Even if someone loaned you a GID meter it would not detect these tampered cars. Also be wary of Hurricane Sandy flood damage cars..

Hello Herm,
A friend of mine and I are both looking into buying a used LEAF (though we're waiting for the specs/prices on the new 2013s). There are several 2011s SL models available near us (West Palm Beach, FL) for around $19-20K. All have 12 bars showing, clean histories, not from Arizona etc. Your comment about the dealers "resetting the bar loss indicator" is the only thing worrying us. Can you, and others, expand on this? How can we detect it? Will our local Nissan dealer know if its been done? Will Nissan HQ? How do we protect ourselves against this?

Thanks for your advice, this has been a great forum, and very useful topic!

sirenbrian said:
Herm said:
if the dealers got smart and reset the bar loss indicator it may take a few weeks of driving for the bars to disappear again.. you really dont want those cars because even with your short commute battery degradation will accelerate. Even if someone loaned you a GID meter it would not detect these tampered cars. Also be wary of Hurricane Sandy flood damage cars..

Hello Herm,
A friend of mine and I are both looking into buying a used LEAF (though we're waiting for the specs/prices on the new 2013s). There are several 2011s SL models available near us (West Palm Beach, FL) for around $19-20K. All have 12 bars showing, clean histories, not from Arizona etc. Your comment about the dealers "resetting the bar loss indicator" is the only thing worrying us. Can you, and others, expand on this? How can we detect it? Will our local Nissan dealer know if its been done? Will Nissan HQ? How do we protect ourselves against this?

Thanks for your advice, this has been a great forum, and very useful topic!
Have gary build you a gid meter.
http://www.wwwsite.com/puzzles/socmeter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The State of charge ( SOC ) function makes it worth the purchase price alone. The GID count is a good indicator of battery degradation.

http://www.wwwsite.com/puzzles/socmeter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The State of charge ( SOC ) function makes it worth the purchase price alone. The GID count is a good indicator of battery degradation.

I thought of that, but Herm says specifically that a GID meter won't detect that. I thought that sounded odd, but is he right?

sirenbrian said:

I thought of that, but Herm says specifically that a GID meter won't detect that. I thought that sounded odd, but is he right?

He is wrong. Now you could say that the GID meter is not 100% accurate 100% of the time and I would agree with that.

I must also say the GID meter will give you much better information than the 12 bar Guess O Meter.

sirenbrian said:

Herm is incorrect. I've tested many LEAFs with my meter and one that had been reset. The one reset to 12 capacity bars read 86% which should have been close to 100%. Your meter will definitely show if there is missing capacity. From all the 2011s I've checked, an 80-81% reading is when the first CB disappears. Nissan says that is a 15% loss. So those 2011s could be at a14% loss and still have all 12 CBs.

Back