Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sirfergy said:
I was driving and hit LBW and the SoC was a little over 20%. I thought it was supposed to be closer to 17%?
Thanks for sharing. Would you remember what the kWh display said? The 17% is for stored energy (Gids), and although the SOC is close, it's not the same number.

sirfergy said:
I was driving and hit LBW and the SoC was a little over 20%. I thought it was supposed to be closer to 17%?
If I understand correctly, the SOC is the true SOC (including the 2% of battery capacity on the low end that can't be accessed on a Leaf). So this sounds about right, since LBS is 17.4%.

I started the documentation for the Leaf Battery app on the Wiki:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leaf_Battery_Application" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope to work on it a little every day. Since it is in very rough form and only about 10% completed, it may be easier to let me get the documentation in better shape over the next week or so before making comments, suggestions or corrections.

garygid said:
How does one log in to contribute?
Gary, the Wiki login should be identical to your MNL login. It was one of the criteria for migrating it over from the standalone service Andy (aqn) operated earlier.

The LEAF Wiki login screen looks like the screenshot below. You should be able to login with your MNL credentials when you click on the picture. If that doesn't work, you might want to click on the link for creating a new account.

Click to open

Stoaty said:
sirfergy said:
If I understand correctly, the SOC is the true SOC (including the 2% of battery capacity on the low end that can't be accessed on a Leaf). So this sounds about right, since LBS is 17.4%.
Don't forget that the SOC will be higher at LBW as your battery degrades as well since LBW represents a fixed amount of capacity left while SOC represents a percentage of current capacity left.

For example, last week my car hit VLBW at 13.3% with an Ah reading of 59.40. On a new car, you might expect to hit this at 8.33% (25 GID / 300 GID) - would be nice if someone with a new car could verify this. Hmm, running the math, it seems that a car with an Ah reading 59.4 should hit VLBW at 9.3%, not 13.3%.

59.40 / 66.25 = 89.7%
300 GID * 89.7% = 269 GID (my true 100% SOC)
25 / 269 = 9.3%

Very strange - I wonder if this is the infamous gauge error that affects reduced capacity LEAFs?

drees said:
0.19, I'm finding that the app's reported GIDs are 4-5 higher than what my LEAFcan is reporting.
When I reported the above this morning, I had noted 4 GID difference at 80% and 5 GID difference at 70%.

Now at the end of the day at 29.1%, it's up to a 19 GID difference with LEAFCAN reporting 58 GID and the app reporting 77 'GID. My AHr reading is 58.80 (0.60 Ah down from 5 days ago!!!)

More evidence of the infamous gauge error leading to low bar/GOM readings???

drees said:
Now at the end of the day at 29.1%, it's up to a 19 GID difference with LEAFCAN reporting 58 GID and the app reporting 77 'GID. My AHr reading is 58.80 (0.60 Ah down from 5 days ago!!!)
Wow, that sounds intriguing. I wonder what else we might see in the near future. Thanks for sharing!

surfingslovak said:
drees said:
Wow, that sounds intriguing. I wonder what else we might see in the near future. Thanks for sharing!
I know, I am really tempted to run the car down to LBW just to see what SOC% it reads! Should take about 4 miles! Unfortunately, I should sleep - I'm sure the opportunity will arise again.

The final update to Version 0.19t is up on DropBox.

Updates
* Switched from Nominal Cell Voltage to Nominal Pack Voltage on Settings screen
* Histogram voltage is displayed as x.xx
* New panel on Settings screen to set screen Orientation (all combinations) for screen 1,2 and 3
* Screen 3 is back to the old color.
* removed PassKey from Settings panel. My tests indicate it is never used so serves no function.

Turbo3 said:
* Screen 3 is back to the old color.
Bummer - I really liked the white on black as did a few other people... I think you're going to have to make it configurable!

Turbo3 said:
Yes, it will be but I don't have the time right now. Please wait a while..
:D I don't have time to keep up with the updates! You are spoiling us! We can be patient, sort of.

garygid said:
Jim might not want his name (or dropbox) mentioned in the wiki.
Well, since his name is mentioned on the "About" screen under settings, I didn't think it was much of a secret. If he wants me to remove it, I will be happy to do so. Dropbox has a Public folder, so this shouldn't be a real secret either. That doesn't give anyone access to his Dropbox folders that are not public. If the link is not in the Wiki, it will be harder for people to get the program and run it (which is the whole point of having the Wiki section). However, I will certainly remove it at his request. Note that the Battery Aging Model is in the public folder of my Dropbox.

PS Glad the colors on Screen 3 are back to previous colors. :D

drees said:
When I reported the above this morning, I had noted 4 GID difference at 80% and 5 GID difference at 70%.

More evidence of the infamous gauge error leading to low bar/GOM readings???
It appears that simulated Gids are not very useful (a shame). I had a similar difference (but not quite as much) down around 33% SOC. Unless we can figure out a reliable way to correct them they will be a distant second to true Gids. That means that kwh left in the pack and DTE will be similarly affected.

surfingslovak said:
The LEAF Wiki login screen looks like the screenshot below. You should be able to login with your MNL credentials when you click on the picture. If that doesn't work, you might want to click on the link for creating a new account.
If I get this Page, I can log in.

However, clicking the "Log In" link at the upper right of the wiki
page does not give me the login page when using the Tablet's
Browser.

When I use the Dolphin Browser app that I have installed
on the Vizio VTAB1008 Android Tablet, the Log In link works.

So, the link must be implemented is some too-complex manner,
not just an ordinary link, which would normally work with
the Android's default browser.

Back